Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12503 Likes Search this Thread
04-16-2016, 04:01 PM - 1 Like   #1801
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
The K10D was my first DSLR. I now also have a K-3 but I still get great enjoyment from my K10D and it will be with me until it dies. Or I die - whichever comes first.
Don't blame you! When I got the K20D there was a woman on Flickr Pentaxians that was still shooting film but wanted to go digital. She had some serious medical problems as I recall, and just couldn't afford it at the time. So......I gave her my K10D and she proved that she deserved it with better shots that I had rendered. I do know she loved it and had it for years...maybe still does? Enough that when she cracked the LCD later, she spent the money to get it repaired rather than trashing it.

I don't regret giving it to her...but I do miss it...so hang on to yours!

Regards!

04-16-2016, 04:20 PM   #1802

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Don't blame you! When I got the K20D there was a woman on Flickr Pentaxians that was still shooting film but wanted to go digital. She had some serious medical problems as I recall, and just couldn't afford it at the time. So......I gave her my K10D and she proved that she deserved it with better shots that I had rendered. I do know she loved it and had it for years...maybe still does? Enough that when she cracked the LCD later, she spent the money to get it repaired rather than trashing it.

I don't regret giving it to her...but I do miss it...so hang on to yours!

Regards!
What a great story. I ended up giving my K10D to my parents, and as far as I know, it's still churning along. Built like a tank!
04-18-2016, 06:07 AM - 1 Like   #1803
Pentaxian

Got my K10D today! Manufactured 11/13/2006. Shutter count is about 4500 and everything works! I think lunch time today will mean a walk around

I don't know if it's just me but it feels slightly lighter than the K20D? It's probably just me.
04-18-2016, 06:46 AM   #1804
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Got my K10D today! Manufactured 11/13/2006. Shutter count is about 4500 and everything works! I think lunch time today will mean a walk around

I don't know if it's just me but it feels slightly lighter than the K20D? It's probably just me.
Congrats on your "new" 10 yr old K10D Hard to imagine they are that old - mine still seems like new tech to me (esp compared to my 13 yr old *istD)!

04-18-2016, 07:23 AM   #1805
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Congrats on your "new" 10 yr old K10D Hard to imagine they are that old - mine still seems like new tech to me (esp compared to my 13 yr old *istD)!
Thank you It does feel a little bit "old" in my hands due to the small LCD. But that's about it. In most respects it handles as well as the K20D did, and it looks about the same. My wife probably won't notice a difference

I am planning on also getting a K-S1 sometime soon - the new sensor and the brighter bigger viewfinder are a big draw to me. Honestly with manual lenses, I only need one wheel, as I just keep a fixed ISO anyway, and I like to change aperture on the lens itself.

But I'm really looking forward to getting used to the CCD goodness of the K10D first Who knows, maybe I'll even decide to listen to Dartmoor Dave and acknowledge that the K10D is probably all I need
04-18-2016, 07:35 AM   #1806
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My wife probably won't notice a difference
Very important
The LCD is smaller than the K20's? I didn't know that. Anyway, yours sounds like a nice find, with very low mileage!

I came so close to getting a KS-1 during Samy's $199 sale during the holidays. I, too like the idea of a compact body for use mostly with primes. I backed off and ended up getting a Fuji X10 to fill the small walkaround role, which it does well. But even Dartmoor Dave caved and got the KS-1, which he uses to great effect with his Takumars.

Look forward to seeing your K10D results - enjoy
04-18-2016, 08:43 AM   #1807
Pentaxian

Very important
The LCD is smaller than the K20's? I didn't know that. Anyway, yours sounds like a nice find, with very low mileage!

I came so close to getting a KS-1 during Samy's $199 sale during the holidays. I, too like the idea of a compact body for use mostly with primes. I backed off and ended up getting a Fuji X10 to fill the small walkaround role, which it does well. But even Dartmoor Dave caved and got the KS-1, which he uses to great effect with his Takumars.

Look forward to seeing your K10D results - enjoy
Yes I've seen some of Dartmoor Dave's pics with the K-S1 and he's getting great results from it. I think it's still a no-brainer, with the body going for 300 dollars. 199 was insane, but it happened just when I had no spare money at all...

My K10D looks mint with the exception of the eyecup piece which is missing... I'm going to get it eventually but it's not really bothering me - I haven't tested being out in the sun yet, though...
But I was surprised that the body has 4500 clicks, from the looks of it I thought it would only have a few hundred at the most! It really looks unused or NOS!

04-18-2016, 01:30 PM   #1808
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My K10D looks mint with the exception of the eyecup piece which is missing... I'm going to get it eventually but it's not really bothering me - I haven't tested being out in the sun yet, though...But I was surprised that the body has 4500 clicks, from the looks of it I thought it would only have a few hundred at the most! It really looks unused or NOS!

It sounds like you got a good one and I'm looking forward to seeing your shots with it. 4500 clicks is barely run in for the K10D so you should get years of use out of it. As for the eyecup: I use mine with the O-ME53 magnifying eyepiece and it makes a big difference with focusing my manual lenses. Highly recommended as long as you don't wear glasses to shoot.

Thanks guys for the kind words about my results with the K-S1, but I feel like I should offer everyone a slight note of warning. The mirror is very poorly damped (on my camera at least) so that at lower shutter speeds you get a noticeable blur from the vibration. Turning on the shake reduction doesn't fix the problem, and in my case this blurring effect makes the camera unusable below 1/250. I don't know if it's a common problem or whether I've just been unlucky, and I suppose I should really send the camera in to be checked out while it's still under warranty. At the moment I'm just shooting around the problem. It's a shame because the K-S1 is a nice little camera otherwise.

Last edited by Dartmoor Dave; 04-18-2016 at 01:35 PM.
04-18-2016, 01:59 PM   #1809
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
The mirror is very poorly damped (on my camera at least) so that at lower shutter speeds you get a noticeable blur from the vibration.
Sorry to hear this. Actually, I have read similar accounts of this occurring on the KS-1 here on PF. I would def. send it in for warranty repair. The O-ME53 is a nice add-on, I used it on my K100D, and I wear glasses too. It took a bit of getting used to, but it wasn't a real problem for me.
04-18-2016, 02:59 PM   #1810
Pentaxian

Do you guys have a link to a thread where this KS1 issue is discussed? That would be a deal breaker for me. I can already notice that the K10D shutter isn't as dampened as the K20D was.
04-18-2016, 03:47 PM   #1811
Veteran Member

Dave, surely something is a miss if you are getting blurry images at shutters of less then 1/250th. :S
04-18-2016, 04:56 PM   #1812
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do you guys have a link to a thread where this KS1 issue is discussed? That would be a deal breaker for me. I can already notice that the K10D shutter isn't as dampened as the K20D was.
Sorry, the thread escapes me at the moment - I know it's not in the "fun with the KS-1" thread (but lots of good photos there). I'm not convinced it's a widespread problem since I've only heard it come up a couple times.

Aha...found this: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/184-pentax-k-s1-k-s2/306349-question-pent...vibration.html

Last edited by paulh; 04-18-2016 at 05:10 PM.
04-19-2016, 03:05 AM   #1813
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tromboads Quote
Dave, surely something is a miss if you are getting blurry images at shutters of less then 1/250th. :S

At first I assumed that it was the K-S1's 20 megapixel sensor revealing the limitations of my ancient lenses and my own handholding technique. It's only over the past couple of weeks that I've concluded that it's definitely a problem with the camera. So it's going to have to go back to see if the issue is fixable.

Aha...found this: Question to Pentax K-S1 owners – shutter vibration

Thanks for the link, Paul. At least that shows that I'm not alone.

But this is the K10D Club, not a K-S1 thread, so my apologies for diverting the discussion and back to the reason we're really all here. Here's one (quite heavily cropped) with the SMC Takumar 28mm/3.5. No problems with mirror slap here.

04-19-2016, 03:51 AM - 1 Like   #1814
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Poppy Project on the Skillion at Terrigal. Thousands of hand made poppies have been installed on the Skillion at Terrigal with the word ANZAC showing through on the grass. This is a wonderful tribute to all the Australian and New Zealand defence personnel who have died in war. ANZAC Day is celebrated on 25 April each year. Lest we forget.

For those who may not know: ANZAC is an acronym for Australian and New Zealand Army Corps.

K10D and Tamron AF 70-300mm F4-5.6 Tele-Macro.

04-19-2016, 08:21 AM   #1815
Pentaxian

Sorry, the thread escapes me at the moment - I know it's not in the "fun with the KS-1" thread (but lots of good photos there). I'm not convinced it's a widespread problem since I've only heard it come up a couple times.

Aha...found this: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/184-pentax-k-s1-k-s2/306349-question-pent...vibration.html
Thank you. That was helplful.

I saw a comparison made by Falconeye between K20D, K7 and K5 where K20D basically has no shutter vibration, K7 is pretty bad, and K5 is somewhere in the middle (manageable). I also saw a thread by someone who tested K5 vs K3 and found the K3 to be a bit worse.

Maybe I'll have to get me a K20D again instead of a newer body. For what I do - handheld pictures, usually indoors and at low shutter speeds, the K20D always gave me great, great results and I thought it was just because of the SR. I guess I took this for granted and thought all Pentax cameras had no shutter shock. With the K-r I never got quite the same results but it's the wife camera and it's always on .JPG and it's only 3-star JPG (as opposed to 4 when we used to usethe K20D for family pictures). So I thought that was the reason the pictures were never quite as sharp in these situations.

I'm hoping the K10D is as good as the K20D in that respect. They should have the same shutter assembly, right?