Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2016, 11:36 PM   #1906

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Yes... I have two.

I think from what you are describing, you need one or two better lenses. Something like a DA 16-45mm would not cost a whole lot, and it would give you a boost in quality from your 18-55. Then compliment that with a cheap SMC-M 50mm f/1.7 which will give you an idea of what a good prime can accomplish - only they usually cost more. This little M 50 1.7 should cost you less than 50 dollars. If you can also swing a 28mm f/2.8, that's also worth trying, and should cost you 50-60 dollars or so for the SMC-M version. There's also Sigmas and Tokinas (and Tokina-made Auto Sears) that can be had for around 25-40 dollars depending on condition and on who's selling.

The other thing I have learned so far, even though I'm kind of new to the K10D, is that you have to get the exposure right. So I basically "chimp" a lot - if the exposure isn't right, I change the settings and try again. With time I'm learning to get it right more frequently, and what helps is that I only use two ISO settings most of the time - 100 if it's bright, 400 if the light is low. That's it. It then makes it easier to remember what shutter speeds I need to use with what apertures. And sometimes I use Ev with manual lenses just to shoot wide open for fun, but usually with a +1 EV compensation setting.

So, for short: 1-get some faster, cheap Pentax primes and a better standard zoom; and 2-don't think "I'll fix exposure later". Expose right, the CCD sensor will reward you for it.

Finally, you said you already shoot in RAW+ so that's good. Any shot that you think is worth showing, you can get the RAW file and process it with a good software which doesn't have to be expensive.

---------- Post added 05-26-16 at 10:47 AM ----------

Part of me thinks, yes, let me buy that fast lens, and part of me thinks, well maybe I should buy Dave's K-S1 so he can get the prime he wants
Awesome and thanks. I was thinking about new/different lenses. The Macro on the Vivitar has given me some outstanding detail shots, but using it at 70-300, not so much.
One of the other 18-55mm lenses has some minor fisheye issues. I forgot abut it until I took a panorama shot today and tried to sew it together.
I am old school to a degree, still highly technical but don't want to fix the shot "later" I really like the pics to be good when I pull them off the camera, barring getting RAW to a usable format for human consumption. I use Google Photo's which IMO is absolutely amazing in how it deals with pics and it deals with RAW shots.
Thanks for the advice, yours and Dartmoor Dave, was invaluable for me. Not exactly sure where I will end up tomorrow but will post a few pics.

05-28-2016, 08:37 PM - 3 Likes   #1907
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Today was my first visit to an event called "Cars & Coffee" at Mt Penang Parklands. It was cold and windy but it was worth it.

I took the K10D and Sigma 17-70 HSM. And this is how the K10D handles red and orange:

More images here (WARNING: Some are K-3 images): https://www.flickr.com/photos/rayallen/albums/72157666478579313/with/26710505674/
05-29-2016, 01:13 PM   #1908

For Christianrock re lenses for the k10d, for a cheap modern prime the DA35 plastic fantastic is superb and the 50mm is good too.

For manual focus, an M50 costs peanuts and is a good first manual focus lens. With focus confirmation using old manual focus lenses is relatively easy and rewarding on the k10.

A bit more 'out there' but many of us use screw mount takumar lenses. These lenses were the best in the world in their day and whilst modern coatings are much better, in terms of sharpness, on the k10d sensor which only uses the centre of the lens, they will give much better results than a modern zoom lens. The cheap mounts you can pick up on eBay work just fine. On the k10d my favourite lenses are the takumar 55mm/f1.8 for portraiture (closest to 85mm) and the 24mm/f3.5 (35mm equivalent.). The 50mm/f4 macro gets a lot of use too.

The 55 is dirt cheap and very easy to get hold of on eBay. The 50 or 100 mm macros are both good and reasonably common. The 24mm is rarer but is my default choice as a walkabout lens.

If you want to really see how good your k10d is, try some of those older lenses. The results will make you smile!
05-31-2016, 05:30 PM - 3 Likes   #1909
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A pair of firewheels with the K10D and a very affordable old F80-200 zoom (xposted):

05-31-2016, 05:40 PM   #1910
Site Supporter

Very nice Paul!
05-31-2016, 07:52 PM   #1911
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jamess Quote
For Christianrock re lenses for the k10d, for a cheap modern prime the DA35 plastic fantastic is superb and the 50mm is good too.

For manual focus, an M50 costs peanuts and is a good first manual focus lens. With focus confirmation using old manual focus lenses is relatively easy and rewarding on the k10.

A bit more 'out there' but many of us use screw mount takumar lenses. These lenses were the best in the world in their day and whilst modern coatings are much better, in terms of sharpness, on the k10d sensor which only uses the centre of the lens, they will give much better results than a modern zoom lens. The cheap mounts you can pick up on eBay work just fine. On the k10d my favourite lenses are the takumar 55mm/f1.8 for portraiture (closest to 85mm) and the 24mm/f3.5 (35mm equivalent.). The 50mm/f4 macro gets a lot of use too.

The 55 is dirt cheap and very easy to get hold of on eBay. The 50 or 100 mm macros are both good and reasonably common. The 24mm is rarer but is my default choice as a walkabout lens.

If you want to really see how good your k10d is, try some of those older lenses. The results will make you smile!
If you look at my profile I already have a few of those manual lenses, or something similar (no m42 for me). But I don't have a fast normal lens, f1.8 or faster (normal being in the 28-35mm range for the K10d). But I haven't made up mymind yet, I could still get a K5, K50 or KS1 instead... And just use my DA 35 2.4 and Rikenon 28 2.8 on that as normal primes.
06-01-2016, 06:21 AM   #1912
Site Supporter

The problem with 'fast' normals for APS-C is even the older 35 f/2 lenses are not cheap anymore.
06-01-2016, 07:04 AM - 1 Like   #1913
Loyal Site Supporter

I was over in Pbase yesterday looking at some old shots....I have hundreds there and it caught my attention that the ones I favored most seemed to be from my old K10D.

It gave me some perspective about my new K1....sure, it is light years ahead of the old K10D, but the results are not really better...given the right circumstances. I don't have any K1 shots I consider better than these from the K10D...and I have many more that I could say the same for.

There is no wonder why this old camera continues to impress even here in 2016! I don't have the K10D now, but I sure hope you guys continue the tradition and keep posting your K10D shots here...very enjoyable!

Regards!

06-01-2016, 10:27 AM   #1914
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
The problem with 'fast' normals for APS-C is even the older 35 f/2 lenses are not cheap anymore.
I know! And honestly I had LBA for the M 35 f2, but comparing it with the DA 35 2.4 (which I own), it's not much faster, and I think the DA is a much better lens... so I gave up on that idea.

So - used Sigma 30 1.4 can be easily had for under 300. I know that's not so cheap, but reasonable considering the f/1.4. I know there are some caveats... focus will be inacurate (especially with the K10D, where even my 16-45 has shown serious problems!). The build quality is said to not be so good, and there's the fact that with the K10D, I can't fine tune the focus, and would end up having to focus manually - and the focus ring is said to be loose and horrible. Add to that the minimum focus distance being pretty bad as well, it does give me pause. The solution would be the newer Sigma 30 1.4 Art, but that costs over 400 used, and I know I won't be able to afford that. I just sold a guitar amp to pay for my keyboard's repair, and I might have enough left for the Sigma (or a new body). But I won't have enough for the Sigma 30mm Art.

I am getting results like this from the Rikenon P 50 1.4 wide open, and from what I am told, I should also get similar results (considering a different focal length of course) with the Sigma 30 1.4.

---------- Post added 06-01-16 at 01:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I was over in Pbase yesterday looking at some old shots....I have hundreds there and it caught my attention that the ones I favored most seemed to be from my old K10D.

It gave me some perspective about my new K1....sure, it is light years ahead of the old K10D, but the results are not really better...given the right circumstances. I don't have any K1 shots I consider better than these from the K10D...and I have many more that I could say the same for.

There is no wonder why this old camera continues to impress even here in 2016! I don't have the K10D now, but I sure hope you guys continue the tradition and keep posting your K10D shots here...very enjoyable!

Regards!
Some gorgeous colors and textures on those doves, Rupert!
06-01-2016, 10:41 AM   #1915
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Some gorgeous colors and textures on those doves, Rupert!
Thanks! I did always love what the K10D rendered. It just seemed different.

When I moved to the K20D I was disappointed in the difference, it seemed harsh and cold in comparison. I tried to adjust it but never got the same results as the K10D.

The K1 is fabulous.....and it is better than the K20D by far ...and about like my K5IIs......but the ISO is a whole new ballgame. If I had the K10D I would still shoot with it in good light, for certain! You guys hang on to yours, they are classics!

No noise reduction in or out of camera....K1 @ ISO 6400 on a dark rainy morning. Times have changed but we can still appreciate our Pentax heritage!

Regards!
06-01-2016, 10:47 AM   #1916
Pentaxian

Rupert, those are some fine K10 shots - post more from your collection when you can. CR, the Rikenon looks like a keeper!

A couple older shots from last June, taken at the flooded park and soccer field. K10D & 18-55 kit lens:

06-01-2016, 10:59 AM   #1917
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Rupert, those are some fine K10 shots - post more from your collection when you can. CR, the Rikenon looks like a keeper!

A couple older shots from last June, taken at the flooded park and soccer field. K10D & 18-55 kit lens:

The CCD sensors do water reflections justice It feels like I'm there.

Regarding my lens/camera decision... I might just end up with a 2nd DA 35 2.4. I love that lens and it works really well with the K10D. So if I have two, I can have one on the K10D while my wife has one on her K-r...

...and here's my contribution for today. I should have upped the ISO as it was early in the morning... got some motion blur on the rowers.

Last edited by ChristianRock; 06-01-2016 at 03:17 PM.
06-01-2016, 05:38 PM   #1918
Site Supporter

I recently came across a NIB K10D. What would be a fair price if it truly never been used?
06-01-2016, 07:45 PM   #1919
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bhuey55 Quote
I recently came across a NIB K10D. What would be a fair price if it truly never been used?
200 would probably be a good price, I think...
I am jealous by the way
06-02-2016, 02:11 AM   #1920

OK, I followed the advice and set everything to manual, focus, f-stop, etc, with Aperture Priority. I did leave the Shake on. I found myself forgetting to pay attention to ALL the settings, and was frustrated with myself. I should have slowed down and checked everything. For instance, I was futzing around getting my 70-300mm manual lens to work and discovered White Balance was not set to cloudy. Would it made a difference, maybe, but it was frustrating to forget and not play with the choices to see how the pics came out.

So I went to Yosemite last Friday and did a 12 mile hike. I live 3 1/2 hours from the park, and I consider it an easy day trip. The pics are right out of the camera. I played with f-stops and shutter speeds but looking at the pics they are indistinguishable from each other. I knew I had a very bright gray sky and that would be a problem, but let the camera deal with the settings to see what I would end up with. I have several other pics that don't want to show up. One is of Glacier Point, and Half Dome with a very nice blue sky and they are nice shots, color is great, best two of the bunch. Just can't seem to get it posted here from Google photos????
I was on my way to a very cool ledge that has explosive views of the Sierra, but the Nasty Storm came in with lightning and thunder, and I would have been the tallest point on the ledge, so I gave the lightning the respect it deserved and changed my hiking plans and went to a place called Olmsted Point. The pics are very, very bright, so I am missing a setting. Anyway, I think it is all user error, and I just need to work with the camera more. Although I agree the lenses are just slightly above pathetic. At 10MP, the sharpness is horrible, so I will be poking around to see what I can do. I have another trip to the Park in Mid June, and will try and pickup different lenses to see what I get.
But here are some shots. untouched from the camera
Nasty Storm coming in - PENTAX K10D f/9. 51/45 18mm ISO100

Yosemite Cathedral Range - PENTAX K10D f/9.5 1/30 18mm ISO100

Olmsted Point f/9.5 1/125 35mm ISO100

Yosemite - Toulumne Meadows - f/11 1/125 31mm ISO100

Yosemite Mt Conness - f/11 1/125 55mm ISO100

Yosemite Falls - f/9.5 1/20 55mm ISO100

Last edited by Grzldvt; 06-02-2016 at 02:23 AM.