Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2016, 12:38 PM   #1936
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great sequence of shots Dave!

06-15-2016, 12:55 AM   #1937

Dave, your pictures show the K10 can rise to any occasion!

I was there too but watching in the distance.
06-15-2016, 03:11 AM   #1938
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thanks guys. Russ, it's great to hear that I wasn't the only Pentaxian there -- I kept my eyes open but didn't see a single one. I hope the airshow becomes an annual fixture after such a successful first weekend, because Torbay is a great location for it.

Here are some more from the airshow, all with the Palinar 200mm. By the end of the afternoon the clouds had cleared and it was warm and sunny.

06-15-2016, 04:01 AM   #1939

Sorry Dave, I assumed it was Biggin Hill last Saturday.

Great shots none the less. Those blue sky's are really blue.

06-15-2016, 04:59 AM   #1940
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Ahah! Then I probably was the only Pentaxian there among what felt like about a hundred thousand Canikons. The weird thing is that I've just seen a Canon shot on Flickr that's almost an identical duplicate of one of mine: obviously shot at exactly the same fraction of a second from almost the same spot as me. In fact, I had to compare both shots very carefully to convince myself that the other guy hadn't just stolen my photo. Annoyingly, the Canon shot is slightly sharper than mine, but then the Canon guy wasn't using a ten year old camera and a fifty year old lens.
06-15-2016, 02:34 PM - 2 Likes   #1941

In April I went to the Holy Land and naturally took my K10. I travelled light kit wise, just my kit zoom. Here are some results. Qumran, where the Dead Sea scrolls were found. (in the two large caves entrances near bottom right), steps down to the birthplace of Christ in the Church of the Nativity and inside the The Holy sepulchre, built on the site of the Crucifixion.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
06-17-2016, 03:34 PM   #1942

I had the Samsung GX-10 for 8years and nigh on wore it out (90,000 shutter actuations).
I wish I still had it. If it hadn't been for doubts over the continued longevity of the shutter i'd probably have kept it.

I did my L2 BTEC in Photography with that cam and was the only Pentax user in a seas of Canikons.
06-19-2016, 01:06 AM   #1943

QuoteOriginally posted by Trawlerman Quote
I had the Samsung GX-10 for 8years and nigh on wore it out (90,000 shutter actuations).
I wish I still had it. If it hadn't been for doubts over the continued longevity of the shutter i'd probably have kept it.

I did my L2 BTEC in Photography with that cam and was the only Pentax user in a seas of Canikons.

You can buy mint K10's for about 100 on Ebay.

06-21-2016, 08:54 PM - 1 Like   #1944
Site Supporter

The K10D does sunset clouds. Xpst.
06-22-2016, 12:37 PM - 1 Like   #1945
Pentaxian

F80-200:
06-23-2016, 01:56 AM   #1946

Ok, I moved the pics to Flickr so let's see what we get. This is a trip I did the Friday before Memorial weekend
OK, I followed the advice and set everything to manual, focus, f-stop, etc, with Aperture Priority. I did leave the Shake on. I found myself forgetting to pay attention to ALL the settings, and was frustrated with myself. I should have slowed down and checked everything. For instance, I was futzing around getting my 70-300mm manual lens to work and discovered White Balance was not set to cloudy. Would it made a difference, maybe, but it was frustrating to forget and not play with the choices to see how the pics came out.

So I went to Yosemite last Friday and did a 12 mile hike. I live 3 1/2 hours from the park, and I consider it an easy day trip. The pics are right out of the camera. I played with f-stops and shutter speeds but looking at the pics they are indistinguishable from each other. I knew I had a very bright gray sky and that would be a problem, but let the camera deal with the settings to see what I would end up with. I have several other pics that don't want to show up. One is of Glacier Point, and Half Dome with a very nice blue sky and they are nice shots, color is great, best two of the bunch. Just can't seem to get it posted here from Google photos????
I was on my way to a very cool ledge that has explosive views of the Sierra, but the Nasty Storm came in with lightning and thunder, and I would have been the tallest point on the ledge, so I gave the lightning the respect it deserved and changed my hiking plans and went to a place called Olmsted Point. The pics are very, very bright, so I am missing a setting. Anyway, I think it is all user error, and I just need to work with the camera more. Although I agree the lenses are just slightly above pathetic. At 10MP, the sharpness is horrible, so I will be poking around to see what I can do. I have another trip to the Park in Mid June, and will try and pickup different lenses to see what I get.
But here are some shots. untouched from the camera
Nasty Storm coming in - PENTAX K10D f/9. 51/45 18mm ISO100

Yosemite Cathedral Range - PENTAX K10D f/9.5 1/30 18mm ISO100

Olmsted Point f/9.5 1/125 35mm ISO100

Yosemite - Toulumne Meadows - f/11 1/125 31mm ISO100

Yosemite Mt Conness - f/11 1/125 55mm ISO100

Yosemite Falls - f/9.5 1/20 55mm ISO100

---------- Post added 06-23-2016 at 02:37 AM ----------

Two weeks later I took another trip to Yosemite's backcountry to go down what is called the Grand Canyon of the Toulumne and shoot LeConte aka Waterwheel Falls
So here we go
The Lazy Toulumne River

Then we traveled down to LeConte Falls

Still shots from the K10D

This is known as the White Cascade

This one is Toulumne Falls

And now in action

A cool little waterfall off the beaten path
Waterfall

This lake was my goal the Friday before Memorial Day

While the colors in this are not rich, it is what the scene looked like.
06-23-2016, 04:10 AM   #1947

Nice shots. Low contrast images can always be tweaked, especially if the original shots are RAW format.
06-23-2016, 03:15 PM - 1 Like   #1948
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RussV Quote
Nice shots. Low contrast images can always be tweaked, especially if the original shots are RAW format.
I agree with Russ - great set of photos & looks like the old 18-55 (?) kit lens did alright. Good to see some water up there in the Sierras too! I would use RAW for sure if you aren't already. It will give you so much more flexibility when it comes to tweaking & editing.

One from last December with a cheap Sigma 28-90 zoom:

Last edited by paulh; 06-23-2016 at 03:51 PM.
06-23-2016, 03:33 PM   #1949
Site Supporter

Make sure your blinkies are on and adjust the exposure so the highlights are not blown out. I check the histogram after every series of shots especially the blue channel.
06-23-2016, 10:17 PM   #1950

Thanks...These are the JPG's, I will play with the RAW's this Sunday and see what I get. But fairly happy with what I did, although I blew a fair number of shots, playing around with f-stops and different shutter speeds. Seems I forgot some of the basics. I used a very old HP camera, of which I have no clue where it came from to shoot the video.
By the way, what software are people using. I have an older version of Photoshop, but suspect there is newer software out there.

Last edited by Grzldvt; 06-23-2016 at 11:37 PM.