Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2016, 05:16 AM   #2056
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Aurora, IL
Photos: Albums
Posts: 71
Ray,

I see you have a K3 as well. How do you feel the K3 and K10D compliment each other? How do you split time between the two? I am thinking of picking up a K3ii but have no plans to ever sell off the K10D. Do you have a specific use for each camera?

Nice picture, BTW. In my opinion, the K10D has always been a winner color rendering.

08-22-2016, 11:38 PM   #2057
Loyal Site Supporter
rayallen's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Forresters Beach, Central Coast, NSW, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,596
QuoteOriginally posted by mbceft Quote
Ray,

I see you have a K3 as well. How do you feel the K3 and K10D compliment each other? How do you split time between the two? I am thinking of picking up a K3ii but have no plans to ever sell off the K10D. Do you have a specific use for each camera?

Nice picture, BTW. In my opinion, the K10D has always been a winner color rendering.
I don't really think the K10D and the K-3 complement each other. They are very different cameras. The technology improvements during the time between the two are very evident and the K-3 is very feature rich. But that does not mean that the K10D is not still a very good camera which is capable of producing great images. I must admit that I now probably use the K-3 more often but I love going back to the K10D because I know it so well and it is simpler to use. There is no way that I would ever sell the K10D as it is worth more to me than I could get for it.

No, I don't have a specific use for either camera. It just depends how I feel on the day. Yesterday when I took the flower image above I was using the K10D (of course) with the WR 18-55mm kit lens and my Sigma 17-70. A bit later I was using the K-3 with my Sigma 150-500mm because the K-3 handles the higher ISO if needed with that lens on. I make sure I share the love around to both cameras.

I hope that answers your queries.
08-23-2016, 04:00 AM   #2058
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Aurora, IL
Photos: Albums
Posts: 71
QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
I don't really think the K10D and the K-3 complement each other. They are very different cameras. The technology improvements during the time between the two are very evident and the K-3 is very feature rich. But that does not mean that the K10D is not still a very good camera which is capable of producing great images. I must admit that I now probably use the K-3 more often but I love going back to the K10D because I know it so well and it is simpler to use. There is no way that I would ever sell the K10D as it is worth more to me than I could get for it.

No, I don't have a specific use for either camera. It just depends how I feel on the day. Yesterday when I took the flower image above I was using the K10D (of course) with the WR 18-55mm kit lens and my Sigma 17-70. A bit later I was using the K-3 with my Sigma 150-500mm because the K-3 handles the higher ISO if needed with that lens on. I make sure I share the love around to both cameras.

I hope that answers your queries.
Ray,

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. I appreciate your insight on how you use the K10D and K3.

The technology improvements are exactly what I'm after with the K3 but like you, I will hold on to the K10D as well. It was my first Pentax and I have really learned a lot using that camera.

Mike B
08-23-2016, 03:53 PM - 3 Likes   #2059
Senior Member
dwinnert's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 107
I don't have my K10D anymore, wish I had kept it. It was a great, and still is a great camera. One of the reasons I just came back to Pentax after using other systems.

Last night I was going through all my archives and still find the files really nice to look at. The thing that is nice is the amount of digital bodies out there on the used market. I saw a K10D for $120 LN condition, which I think is a steal.

This was what I was doing with the K10D when I was experimenting with digital B&W and printing. I still had a darkroom and was actively shooting film at the time and wanted to see if the move to digital was doable.



08-23-2016, 03:58 PM   #2060
Loyal Site Supporter
rayallen's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Forresters Beach, Central Coast, NSW, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,596
QuoteOriginally posted by mbceft Quote
Ray,

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. I appreciate your insight on how you use the K10D and K3.

The technology improvements are exactly what I'm after with the K3 but like you, I will hold on to the K10D as well. It was my first Pentax and I have really learned a lot using that camera.

Mike B
The K10D was a good introduction to Pentax cameras. It was my first K-mount SLR. I went from 1975 to 2007 using manual screw-mount Spotmatics. The K10D was my introduction to K-mount, auto exposure, auto focus and digital. So, it should come as no surprise as to why I am so attached to that camera and why I would not consider parting with it. It is more than just a tool to create images to me.
08-23-2016, 04:24 PM   #2061
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Aurora, IL
Photos: Albums
Posts: 71
QuoteOriginally posted by dwinnert Quote
I don't have my K10D anymore, wish I had kept it. It was a great, and still is a great camera. One of the reasons I just came back to Pentax after using other systems.

Last night I was going through all my archives and still find the files really nice to look at. The thing that is nice is the amount of digital bodies out there on the used market. I saw a K10D for $120 LN condition, which I think is a steal.

This was what I was doing with the K10D when I was experimenting with digital B&W and printing. I still had a darkroom and was actively shooting film at the time and wanted to see if the move to digital was doable.
The lighting in that picture is fantastic... I took me awhile to tear myself away from looking at it. Very 'painting' like.
08-23-2016, 07:55 PM   #2062
Loyal Site Supporter
rayallen's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Forresters Beach, Central Coast, NSW, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,596
QuoteOriginally posted by dwinnert Quote
I don't have my K10D anymore, wish I had kept it. It was a great, and still is a great camera. One of the reasons I just came back to Pentax after using other systems.

Last night I was going through all my archives and still find the files really nice to look at. The thing that is nice is the amount of digital bodies out there on the used market. I saw a K10D for $120 LN condition, which I think is a steal.

This was what I was doing with the K10D when I was experimenting with digital B&W and printing. I still had a darkroom and was actively shooting film at the time and wanted to see if the move to digital was doable.
That is just beautiful. Top class quality. You should be proud of that one. I hope you made a big print of it.
08-24-2016, 02:04 AM   #2063
Senior Member
Grippy's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 252
QuoteOriginally posted by dwinnert Quote
I don't have my K10D anymore, wish I had kept it. It was a great, and still is a great camera. One of the reasons I just came back to Pentax after using other systems.

Last night I was going through all my archives and still find the files really nice to look at. The thing that is nice is the amount of digital bodies out there on the used market. I saw a K10D for $120 LN condition, which I think is a steal.

This was what I was doing with the K10D when I was experimenting with digital B&W and printing. I still had a darkroom and was actively shooting film at the time and wanted to see if the move to digital was doable.
Wow, brilliant pic mate, love the lighting and processing
It reminds me of some I have taken with my old Oly E-1 with ccd sensor. The ccd just renders the pics brilliantly

08-24-2016, 08:08 AM - 1 Like   #2064
Senior Member
dwinnert's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 107
QuoteOriginally posted by Grippy Quote
Wow, brilliant pic mate, love the lighting and processing
It reminds me of some I have taken with my old Oly E-1 with ccd sensor. The ccd just renders the pics brilliantly
Thanks!

I tried to duplicate Tri-X by shooting at a high ISO. Came out pretty well.

Here was another with the K10D....

08-24-2016, 08:39 AM   #2065
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2013
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 163
Great mono images.
08-24-2016, 11:17 AM   #2066
Loyal Site Supporter
paulh's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: DFW Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 13,117
QuoteOriginally posted by RussV Quote
Great mono images.
+1 Very nice work!

Taken in March at a local lake:
08-24-2016, 12:17 PM   #2067
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2013
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 163
More black and white

k10 + kit lens and some processing with Nik Efex
Attached Images
 

Last edited by RussV; 08-24-2016 at 12:22 PM. Reason: add picture
08-25-2016, 02:07 PM   #2068
Senior Member
dwinnert's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 107
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
+1 Very nice work!

Taken in March at a local lake:
Nice!

---------- Post added 08-25-2016 at 02:14 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RussV Quote
k10 + kit lens and some processing with Nik Efex
It is cool that Google bought Nik and now gives it away for free.....I hope they continue upgrading it.

Anyhow, did a 13x19 print from an old K10D file and it looked fantastic. People obsess about MP, features etc, but you can do so much with these older bodies and photoshop. The only reason I shoot film is for fun these days and to use NOS film I find. Found some rolls of TechPan 25 that has been in a fridge for decades at a developer that was shutting down. Now i just need some Technidol.
08-25-2016, 06:07 PM   #2069
Forum Member




Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: British ExPat in Bucharest
Posts: 84
QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
The K10D was a good introduction to Pentax cameras. It was my first K-mount SLR. I went from 1975 to 2007 using manual screw-mount Spotmatics. The K10D was my introduction to K-mount, auto exposure, auto focus and digital. So, it should come as no surprise as to why I am so attached to that camera and why I would not consider parting with it. It is more than just a tool to create images to me.
the k10d was my first introduction to pentax. i haven't shot with it in a while but it's still a great backup body and works great. i remember about a year ago somehow my K50 had been turned on in my bag and couldn't quickly find the spare batteries so did the entire shoot with the K10d with no issues at all

actually lending the k50 to a friend to learn photography while keeping my k10d
08-26-2016, 02:26 PM   #2070
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Aurora, IL
Photos: Albums
Posts: 71
QuoteOriginally posted by zestoi Quote
actually lending the k50 to a friend to learn photography while keeping my k10d
My K10D is currently serving double duty. My daughter is take a photography class in school so she has it most of the time (only Pentax in class) and I get to use it nights and weekends :-) I'll probably pick up a K3 just so we can go out shooting together. Sounds like a good excuse to me :-)
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
allen, bird, camera, cameras, clicks, comparison, da, dslr, ff, flickr, images, k10d, k5, k5iis, leica, lens, nikon, pentax, photography, pictures, post, price, prix, ray, skin tones, time, version
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I started a K-5 Praise thread, now the Complaint thread imtheguy Pentax K-5 46 11-01-2010 09:20 AM
Suggestion Add Previous/Next Thread links at the top of each thread indytax Site Suggestions and Help 3 03-17-2009 05:40 PM
Iceemn360's K10d Photo Thread iceemn360 Post Your Photos! 50 01-10-2009 02:43 PM
Mandatory thread from new K10D owner :) Edvinas Pentax DSLR Discussion 9 12-08-2006 07:34 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:54 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top