Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2016, 12:30 AM   #2086
Forum Member

Just joined the K10D club with good used one. It's quite bulky compared to my Olympus E-M5II but nevertheless fits my hands well. I have film SLR Pentaxes but this is my first DSLR. I wanted to play with the CCD sensor and see what's possible. So far I like it but, wow, I am so used to the EVF already that the OVF is a bit of a challenge to get familiar with again. Definitely, I miss the histogram to control the exposure compensation. Histogram in the EVF is so useful. Is there a general recommendation for the K10D? I got some overexposed shots outside the flat, so should I go with a general -0.3 or -0.6? Or is there sufficient potential in post when using raw?

PS: Some older reviews indicated to use +EV... I probably just have to toy around a bit more with the cam...

Last edited by yucafrita; 09-07-2016 at 01:56 AM.
09-07-2016, 04:07 AM   #2087
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by yucafrita Quote
Just joined the K10D club with good used one. It's quite bulky compared to my Olympus E-M5II but nevertheless fits my hands well. I have film SLR Pentaxes but this is my first DSLR. I wanted to play with the CCD sensor and see what's possible. So far I like it but, wow, I am so used to the EVF already that the OVF is a bit of a challenge to get familiar with again. Definitely, I miss the histogram to control the exposure compensation. Histogram in the EVF is so useful. Is there a general recommendation for the K10D? I got some overexposed shots outside the flat, so should I go with a general -0.3 or -0.6? Or is there sufficient potential in post when using raw?

PS: Some older reviews indicated to use +EV... I probably just have to toy around a bit more with the cam...

Congratulations on your "NEW" K10D. I bought mine when they where still new in 2007 and it has been my first and only DSLR since then. I've never had a camera with EVF other than the iPhone and P&S cameras so I can't comment on that. As for exposure, a lot depends on the mode you are shooting and the metering you are using but I will share my experience. I shoot in manual 99% of the time and when I zero out the meter in the viewfinder I find that my copy underexposes slightly, maybe 1/3 a stop. I have no problems pulling out details in post with Capture One.

Welcome to the club and look forward to seeing some pictures.

Mike B
09-07-2016, 11:29 AM   #2088
Forum Member

Here's some update: is it possible that the over- / underexposure warning in the camera itself is not very accurate (I switched that feature on)? When I look at the pictures in the cam, sometimes it's heavy blinkenlights although when I look at the files on my computer (jpg or pef) they look ok.

I dont have pefs developed yet, since I am quite new to raw development and still trying to find a software which has a look and feel that suits me. For Olympus I use the OV3, which is not exactly a high-end software but usable. The original Pentax software that came with the K10D is

I am waiting to see Affinity Photo a appear for Windows, otherwise I might go with Capture One for Win or Darktable on Linux.

Anyway, what I noticed is a number of hotpixels. I used PixelFixer (found on the internet), which identifies and removes them from the raw file. After jpg development they are gone (I fumbled through RawTherapee to get this done, so no big art. Just wanted to have a jpg to check.). Works quite nice. Someone else uses this or has a different approach? For the record, PixelFixer identified 142 hotpixels. I dont know if this is good or bad for such an old camera/sensor or if I should look for another copy. If I understand correctly, the hot pixels cant be mapped in the K10D itself.

Pictures to come, maybe on the weekend...
09-07-2016, 11:49 AM   #2089
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
here's a couple pics. Nothing fancy. I seem to be stuck in a rut lately.

Last edited by ChristianRock; 09-07-2016 at 12:24 PM.
09-07-2016, 04:21 PM   #2090
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
here's a couple pics. Nothing fancy. I seem to be stuck in a rut lately.

Rut or not, I like the look. Nice shots...
09-10-2016, 06:46 AM   #2091
Site Supporter

Well I couldn't resist the listing for an E rated K10d for $125 on Adorama's used listing the other day! It will be a good backup to my K3ii and was the first Pentax Dslr I bought new back in the day.
Now that I have gotten almost every Pentax, Ricoh, and Chinon K-mount MF (still need LX, KX and KM) and several Canons and Minolta's for my collection.

I am now working on my favorit digitals I have ever owned and Adorama has a nice selection! I have gotten a mint Sony A350 and Canon 20d for 85 each. I will still need to find a Canon D60 and t3i, *istDS, and an Olympus E510... Yes I left K mount when I went to Autofocus and then digital but am happy I came back.
09-10-2016, 08:12 PM - 2 Likes   #2092
Loyal Site Supporter

Taken today with the DA18-55. The clouds made shooting the car show much more enjoyable
09-11-2016, 01:21 AM   #2093
Forum Member

I managed to get the latest PDCU working, so here's an output. Glowing Dahlia, currently seen in one of the largest public parks in Berlin. A whole album is up on Flickr, half of the images are K10D.

Dahlienfeuer by yucafrita, auf Flickr

So far, I am satisfied with the K10D. All the Dahlia pictures were taken with a SMC M 35 lens, manual focus with Pentax loupe. Sometimes, I am slipping the focus plane because I move to much. Oh well. PDCU is ok. I tried the latest Silkypix demo and Rawtherapee but I struggle with RT. I like the standard colors delivered by DCU to start with for post but RT doesnt match those colors when opening the PEFs. And I am clueless how to set up a standard profile delivering those colors as starting point. SP looks very nice, however, I suppose because DCU is from the same company...

Last edited by yucafrita; 09-11-2016 at 03:01 AM.
09-11-2016, 03:56 AM   #2094
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Taken today with the DA18-55. The clouds made shooting the car show much more enjoyable
Ahh, car shows. Love em or hate em, there are plenty of photo opportunities. The clouds do add a nice backdrop to this one. Nice job. Have you ever tried a car show theme when shooting? I like to pick one thing to focus on, say wheels and shoot only that subject. It helps me "find" pictures in places I would not have seen before.

Here is an example from a car show I went to last month to illustrate the idea.

---------- Post added 09-11-16 at 04:04 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by yucafrita Quote
I managed to get the latest PDCU working, so here's an output. Glowing Dahlia, currently seen in one of the largest public parks in Berlin. A whole album is up on Flickr, half of the images are K10D.

Dahlienfeuer by yucafrita, auf Flickr

So far, I am satisfied with the K10D. All the Dahlia pictures were taken with a SMC M 35 lens, manual focus with Pentax loupe. Sometimes, I am slipping the focus plane because I move to much. Oh well. PDCU is ok. I tried the latest Silkypix demo and Rawtherapee but I struggle with RT. I like the standard colors delivered by DCU to start with for post but RT doesnt match those colors when opening the PEFs. And I am clueless how to set up a standard profile delivering those colors as starting point. SP looks very nice, however, I suppose because DCU is from the same company...

Beautiful results from the K10D and M 35. The colors and sharpness are amazing. I've had my K10D for 10 yeas or so and I am still amazed at what an "old" camera with "only" 10 Mp can produce.

Wish I could help you with post processing software. I have not tried the ones you are using. The only thing I could think of for RT would be switching from PEF to DNG as your RAW file type and see if iRT handles the colors any better.

---------- Post added 09-11-16 at 04:07 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kneemeister Quote
Well I couldn't resist the listing for an E rated K10d for $125 on Adorama's used listing the other day! It will be a good backup to my K3ii and was the first Pentax Dslr I bought new back in the day.
Now that I have gotten almost every Pentax, Ricoh, and Chinon K-mount MF (still need LX, KX and KM) and several Canons and Minolta's for my collection.

I am now working on my favorit digitals I have ever owned and Adorama has a nice selection! I have gotten a mint Sony A350 and Canon 20d for 85 each. I will still need to find a Canon D60 and t3i, *istDS, and an Olympus E510... Yes I left K mount when I went to Autofocus and then digital but am happy I came back.
Sounds like quite a collection. Have fun with the K10D!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
09-11-2016, 06:26 PM   #2095
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mbceft Quote
The clouds do add a nice backdrop to this one. Nice job. Have you ever tried a car show theme when shooting?
Thanks & nice job yourself. I don't attend a lot of car shows, so I never really thought about doing a theme. Cool idea though. This shot is a bit similar to yours, even a similar model car. It's a 1960 Ford Starliner I kept finding myself drawn to

Last edited by paulh; 09-11-2016 at 06:59 PM.
09-11-2016, 06:34 PM   #2096
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks & nice job yourself. I don't attend a lot of car shows, so I never really thought about doing a theme. Cool idea though. This shot is a bit similar to yours, even a similar model car. It's a 1960 Ford Starliner I kept finding myself drawn to
Hmm...I think I need to check my other shots from the show - is that a dust bunny on the sensor (just below "Starliner")
Love the color and fender lines. Old cars hold more interest to me than new cars do. They just have great lines.
09-12-2016, 01:59 AM   #2097
Pentaxian

Love that shot. Love the composition, and the exposure is absolutely spot-on, with the very brightest point in the clouds just gently edging towards pure white but with plenty of detail still visible in the shadows cast by the cars. And people say that CCD sensors have got poor dynamic range?
09-12-2016, 03:42 AM   #2098
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Lots of detail and perfect lighting on that one. First time I have seen one of those as that model never made it to Australia.
09-12-2016, 07:44 AM   #2099
Loyal Site Supporter

Dave & Ray - thank you both! FWIW, I used RawTherapee to process these photos. The AMAZE iso100 profile is really effective on these bright daylight K10D images. I did some minor touch-ups with digiKam as well (I'm running Linux Mint).

At the risk of spamming the group, here's another of that '60 Starliner:

A classic 1940 or '41 Ford pickup:
09-12-2016, 09:11 AM   #2100
Forum Member

Dave & Ray - thank you both! FWIW, I used RawTherapee to process these photos. The AMAZE iso100 profile is really effective on these bright daylight K10D images. I did some minor touch-ups with digiKam as well (I'm running Linux Mint).

At the risk of spamming the group, here's another of that '60 Starliner:

A classic 1940 or '41 Ford pickup:
Hi Paul, really nice pics and I like the colors.

Since you mentioned Rawtherapee, I was playing with it, also with the Amaze etc. Maybe you have a hint for me. I like the colors of DCU out of the box but I dont manage to get them with RT. You may argue, so then use DCU. But I like to have options and I would like to use the colors from DCU as starting point for the raw development. Your approach may differ but may I ask if you have a K10D setting / profile in RT which resembles the DCU output?

Cheers, Andreas