Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2016, 09:35 AM   #2221
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K10D Manual, page 197, Instant Review, Bright/Dark areas, On. Set Review Time to 3 sec.

Last edited by wtlwdwgn; 12-02-2016 at 09:50 AM.
12-04-2016, 04:08 PM - 1 Like   #2222
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

FYI, there's a good deal on a K10D in the PF marketplace added today (Dec 4). Trying to think of a reason I need another one

Quantaray/Sigma 28-90:
12-04-2016, 04:19 PM   #2223
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
FYI, there's a good deal on a K10D in the PF marketplace added today (Dec 4). Trying to think of a reason I need another one
Ideally, Paul, you could have a K10D body for every lens that you especially like shooting on a K10D.
12-05-2016, 04:46 PM - 1 Like   #2224
Pentaxian

So I've finally done it. I had been trying to sell my bass guitar for several months, and last week it finally sold.

Done what, you ask? Gotten myself a Sigma 30 1.4, as I alluded several pages back

My plan was to get the older DC EX, I didn't think I was going to afford the new Art version. But I didn't like the really long minimum focus distance... I take pictures of flowers a lot, as everyone knows, so I was quite disappointed with that. I was almost talking myself into a 17-50 2.8. Looked for a Tamron, didn't find one for what I thought was a good deal... did see a Sigma 17-50 2.8 for 239 dollars on Amazon! Almost ready to buy it, went again and started looking at the 30 1.4 Art... especially after seeing THoog's Review thread, especially where he compares the old to the new version... I loved the new Art version contrast and colors.

And lo and behold... a seller on Amazon had a Like-New copy for 309 dollars. I pounced on it...

Specifically on the K10D, it backfocuses quite a bit, so I'm going to be needing the Sigma USB Dock (at least I can get it fixed with the dock!). On my K-S1 it required a +4 adjustment.

Until I get the dock, I'll use it as a manual focus lens on the K10D - the focus ring is actually pretty nicely damped and the lens is just a joy to use.

One of my objectives was to do a 1 year project with the lens, so I bought one at about the right time, the new year is right around the corner...

So here's a K10D shot with it...I'll have more pictures soon, I'm sure, right now it's mostly family stuff and K-S1 stuff.

That was wide open with minimum adjustments

Last edited by ChristianRock; 12-05-2016 at 05:03 PM.
12-06-2016, 06:44 AM - 5 Likes   #2225
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
So I've finally done it. I had been trying to sell my bass guitar for several months, and last week it finally sold. Done what, you ask? Gotten myself a Sigma 30 1.4, as I alluded several pages back

That'll let you use the K10D in some very low light without needing to push the ISO too far. There's a lot to be said for the old-fashioned solution of faster glass instead of higher ISO. When I first saw your shot of the Christmas bauble I thought, hmm, there's something very Leica-like about that rendering. And after looking through THoog's thread that you linked to, I'm convinced. There's a strong flavour of the Leica look in the colour and contrast characteristics of that 30mm/1.4, and I mean that as a very positive thing. I'm looking forward very much to seeing what you come up with using that lens.

Here are some quick test shots with the final settings I've ended up with for lending the camera to my parents for their cruise next week. The settings are quite extreme, and the results aren't subtle, but I'm aiming for bright, colourful holiday snaps without any need for post-processing. I ended up with the "Bright" option and Saturation +1, Sharpness +3, and Contrast -1. These are just quick test snaps taken within 100 yards of the car, using the camera in green mode with full autofocus and autoexposure, and no post-processing. I really like the way you can switch off almost all the controls to turn the camera into a simple point-and-shoot for the inexperienced.

It takes a real outdoorsman to track down a Dartmoor pony. Sometimes you even have to get out of the car.
12-06-2016, 07:49 AM   #2226
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
. . . .
Here are some quick test shots with the final settings I've ended up with for lending the camera to my parents for their cruise next week. The settings are quite extreme, and the results aren't subtle, but I'm aiming for bright, colourful holiday snaps without any need for post-processing. I ended up with the "Bright" option and Saturation +1, Sharpness +3, and Contrast -1. These are just quick test snaps taken within 100 yards of the car, using the camera in green mode with full autofocus and autoexposure, and no post-processing. I really like the way you can switch off almost all the controls to turn the camera into a simple point-and-shoot for the inexperienced.

It takes a real outdoorsman to track down a Dartmoor pony. Sometimes you even have to get out of the car.

It's interesting how you turned the contrast DOWN a notch. And why no more than +1 on saturation--well, it's a K10D after all! I never thought of turning sharpness up to +3. I'll have to try those settings out, but I only have a fat donkey to point the camera at, and he looks skinny compared to that lot. Those Dartmoor Ponies don't miss many meals!
12-06-2016, 08:28 AM   #2227
Pentaxian

That'll let you use the K10D in some very low light without needing to push the ISO too far. There's a lot to be said for the old-fashioned solution of faster glass instead of higher ISO.
That was a VERY dimly lit hall and I was able to take the shot at ISO 200, and just do an auto levels thing that didn't need to lift the exposure hardly at all.

QuoteQuote:
When I first saw your shot of the Christmas bauble I thought, hmm, there's something very Leica-like about that rendering. And after looking through THoog's thread that you linked to, I'm convinced. There's a strong flavour of the Leica look in the colour and contrast characteristics of that 30mm/1.4, and I mean that as a very positive thing. I'm looking forward very much to seeing what you come up with using that lens.
I am too.
I've looked at a bunch of Leica pictures before and I think I always focused more on the transition from in-focus to out-of-focus which I think is very unique to Leica, and haven't paid all that much attention to the rendering capabilities - which to be honest do seem to vary a bit within the different Leica series.
But I'll take your word for it What I do know is that I like the rendering of this lens VERY much - MUCH more so than the older version. THoog's thread, to me, made that very, very obvious.
And the bokeh is to die for (something I think is not Leica's forte).

QuoteQuote:
Very interesting. You must be using the kit lens (18-55) to put sharpness at +3. When I use a prime, even +2 sharpness looks like oversharpening on my K10D.

The -1 Contrast will help a lot, I think with skin tones. So I understand the choice there. Well done

QuoteQuote:

I never get tired of your ponies, You could probably do a picture calendar every year and it could possibly do well every year and people wouldn't get tired of it. At least I wouldn't

I need to see what I can find here in good ol'Georgia that would have the same effect... something I can shoot over and over again and it always stays interesting... so far I haven't found such thing. So I usually keep taking pictures of the same boring flowers

---------- Post added 12-06-16 at 10:33 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
It's interesting how you turned the contrast DOWN a notch. And why no more than +1 on saturation--well, it's a K10D after all! I never thought of turning sharpness up to +3. I'll have to try those settings out, but I only have a fat donkey to point the camera at, and he looks skinny compared to that lot. Those Dartmoor Ponies don't miss many meals!
I find that JPEG settings depend largely on what lens you are using... if you're not using the same lens Dave was using, your results will be different, with these same settings...

I usuallly remember what my Pentax primes need (they're usually somewhat similar, and my DA 16-45 actually takes settings like a prime). Then there's settings for the Rikenon lenses, which are quite different. Then there's my Tamron 70-300. And now my Sigma...
12-07-2016, 09:00 AM   #2228
Pentaxian

So if my K10D is supposed to be so "noisy" at ISO 800, how come it didn't wake the dog? Answer me that!

K10D -- ISO 800
Out-of-camera JPEG: Natural Setting / Saturation 0 / Sharpness +1 / Contrast -2
Tamron (27A) f/3.5-4 28-80mm -- shot wide open
Handheld at 1/50th sec.

12-09-2016, 02:43 AM   #2229
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
So if my K10D is supposed to be so "noisy" at ISO 800, how come it didn't wake the dog? Answer me that!

Looks good at ISO800 to me.

There seems to be a huge gulf in high ISO performance between jpeg and raw. Over the past couple of weeks of testing I've looked at jpeg results all the way up to ISO1600 for the first time, and I've been very pleasantly surprised. So much so that I'll be handing the camera over to my parents this weekend with the auto ISO set to go all the way up to 1600. Shooting raw, I wouldn't even go up to 400 because of the amount of noise.

I don't know what kind of noise reduction the camera uses in jpeg mode, but it does seem to work very well as long as you don't underexpose.
12-09-2016, 07:25 AM   #2230
Pentaxian

Dave, thanks for your thoughts on the issue. I have mainly shot my K10D at 100 ISO since I got it back in mid-Summer, partly because my K110D could only go down to 200 and partly because I was shooting more lenses wide-open making iso 100 more usable. Only on occasion have I gone up to 200, and very rarely if at all 400. But that darkened room, lit only by not especially bright window light, and with a lens only opening up around f/4 I had to turn the iso higher. I do have the noise reduction feature turned on, so that may have helped. I don't see any problems that I recognize as noise. Here's a cropping from the original--maybe others will see something I don't in it

You know, there's a camp that says that lens is supposed to be soft wide open, too. Keeping in mind that I had the contrast bumped down two notches to keep the subtleties in the white part of the dog, I think any softness in this image is due to my hand-holding the shot at 1/50th or to dog breathing. Then, too, there are depth of field limitations wide open, but in that case I think it is only fair to judge sharpness in the plane that is focused on.

Afterthought:
I'm going to be trying shooting "RAW+" soon. I've only just loaded a program that will process RAW onto my computer. The RAW vs. OOC JPEG debate has been interesting to me, if mainly an academic exercise for me until now. I expect I will go forward shooting both and be happy with OOC JPEG images as final products some of the time and PPed from RAWs at other times. Being able to get the best out off both options seems a reasonable way to go.

Last edited by goatsNdonkey; 12-09-2016 at 07:35 AM.
12-09-2016, 09:06 AM   #2231
Pentaxian

Looks good at ISO800 to me.

There seems to be a huge gulf in high ISO performance between jpeg and raw. Over the past couple of weeks of testing I've looked at jpeg results all the way up to ISO1600 for the first time, and I've been very pleasantly surprised. So much so that I'll be handing the camera over to my parents this weekend with the auto ISO set to go all the way up to 1600. Shooting raw, I wouldn't even go up to 400 because of the amount of noise.

I don't know what kind of noise reduction the camera uses in jpeg mode, but it does seem to work very well as long as you don't underexpose.
I shoot at 800 easily on the K10D and even 1600 works fine - and I shoot raw.

I however don't have any "auto levels" settings when I first open an image in my raw processors... and I'm very careful with exposure when shooting ISO 400 and up. I think your issue might have more to do with workflow than the JPEG engine being particularly better. I've used the Pentax DCU 5 by the way, as it should probably be very similar to the in-camera JPEG engine, but much newer and having more options than the K10D has

@GoatsNDonkey - I like that shot, and you are right, it is pretty clean. The lens seems to be a fine lens, I might have to try me some Tamron adaptall lenses in the future.
12-09-2016, 09:37 AM   #2232
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
@GoatsNDonkey - I like that shot, and you are right, it is pretty clean. The lens seems to be a fine lens, I might have to try me some Tamron adaptall lenses in the future.
If you check it's PF review, the average score looks pretty poor, yet 3 of the 11 reviewers gave it a 9 for sharpness. But there is a segment of users that find too many aberrations, poor handling, cool (not the good kind of "cool") colors, and poor sharpness. It was in production for a while, maybe some copies are better than others. There are some higher rated Tam adaptall-2 zooms, and some good ones among the primes. The adaptall lens club is a good place to find sample images, of course
12-09-2016, 01:57 PM - 2 Likes   #2233
Pentaxian

K10D colors

K10D rendering when there's not much colors... is still beautiful.

12-09-2016, 04:51 PM   #2234
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice shooting everyone. In regards to iso, I regularly shoot at 400 or 800 iso on my 6mp bodies. I won't hesitate at all if shooting outdoors. On the K10D, I'll go to 800...carefully, but try to keep it at 400 or lower. Shooting RAW, btw. I think a lot of the noise arguments regarding the K10D are a bit overstated.

K10D with a Sigma 28-90 at iso100 - pls excuse the bubbly bokeh

Last edited by paulh; 12-09-2016 at 05:16 PM.
12-10-2016, 03:17 AM   #2235
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
K10D with a Sigma 28-90 at iso100 - pls excuse the bubbly bokeh

Great composition, love the way the corner of the gate forms a frame within the frame.

Paul and Christian, are you getting intrinsically good noise levels at higher ISO in raw, or is there a particular processing technique that you're using? I always avoid underexposure, but it looks like I've been missing something with my processing and might have criticised the K10D's noise levels in raw unfairly. My own use of noise reduction is pretty much limited to the controls in Camera Raw.