Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2016, 04:12 PM - 2 Likes   #2236
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
Great composition, love the way the corner of the gate forms a frame within the frame.

Paul and Christian, are you getting intrinsically good noise levels at higher ISO in raw, or is there a particular processing technique that you're using? I always avoid underexposure, but it looks like I've been missing something with my processing and might have criticised the K10D's noise levels in raw unfairly. My own use of noise reduction is pretty much limited to the controls in Camera Raw.
Thanks Dave. I'm not doing anything special in my raw PP - and I rarely, if ever use any NR. As you noted, not underexposing is key. I'm not using any mainstream editing software as I'm running Linux Mint. Sometimes I'll use some of TheSquirrelMafia's presets in RawTherapee, but often I'll just process in digiKam/showFoto. Because I often shoot with the older CCD bodies, my tolerance for noise may be higher than a lot of shooters. Again, avoiding underexposure is most important, imo. Christian is more technically-inclined than I am, and hopefully he can share some insights.

Last edited by paulh; 12-12-2016 at 09:13 AM. Reason: spel-chek
12-12-2016, 09:06 AM - 1 Like   #2237
Pentaxian

Paul and Christian, are you getting intrinsically good noise levels at higher ISO in raw, or is there a particular processing technique that you're using? I always avoid underexposure, but it looks like I've been missing something with my processing and might have criticised the K10D's noise levels in raw unfairly. My own use of noise reduction is pretty much limited to the controls in Camera Raw.
Well I wouldn't say intrinsically good, more like acceptable I think one thing that helps is that the K10D noise is pleasing to the eye. So even if there is a little bit of it in the colors, it's not a big deal, as long as it isn't robbing sharpness.

I still suspect that your basic settings or auto levels or whatever, is processing the image too much before you even look at it. What do you use to develop RAW, again? And what settings are applied when you load the pictures?

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Christian is more techically-inclined than I am, and hopefully he can share some insights.
I don't know about that But I think we might be able to help Dave get a hold of what is causing his RAW issues. I just wish that in the same way, he could help me increase the level of my pictures to the ones he takes, but I guess that just might not be possible
12-12-2016, 12:42 PM   #2238
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K10d with DA*300 f4
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
12-13-2016, 09:00 AM   #2239
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bhuey55 Quote
K10d with DA*300 f4
nice!

DA18-55 from October:

12-14-2016, 02:29 AM   #2240
Pentaxian

Nice one Paul, with great use of the curves in the bridge and path.

Thanks to you and Christian for the high ISO tips. Right now the camera is steaming its way southwards to sunnier climes, and hopefully it'll make it home again without getting dropped overboard. We're just moving into the part of the year here where we get the best light, and nothing else captures it quite like that CCD.
12-14-2016, 07:29 AM   #2241
Pentaxian

Thanks to you and Christian for the high ISO tips. Right now the camera is steaming its way southwards to sunnier climes, and hopefully it'll make it home again without getting dropped overboard. We're just moving into the part of the year here where we get the best light, and nothing else captures it quite like that CCD.
Methinks a 2nd K10D is in order You can't possibly miss that light, now can you?
12-14-2016, 03:07 PM - 1 Like   #2242
Pentaxian

Both of these are wide open, the holly berries one is cropped and has quite a bit of vignetting added. I didn't add contrast or saturation. The Sigma 30 1.4 is sharp and has nice of color/contrast wide open!

12-14-2016, 08:02 PM - 2 Likes   #2243
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
nice!

DA18-55 from October:
Thanks. I don't know what to due, I just bought my third K10D. I have a hard time not buying when it has 2500 shutter count for $90.

12-15-2016, 09:51 AM   #2244
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Both of these are wide open, the holly berries one is cropped and has quite a bit of vignetting added. I didn't add contrast or saturation. The Sigma 30 1.4 is sharp and has nice of color/contrast wide open!

Very impressive, CR!
12-16-2016, 01:38 AM - 1 Like   #2245
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote

I viewed that second image at full size on Flickr and for a cropped image it is incredibly sharp. A K10D and that Sigma 30/1.4 make a good combo. I must convince myself that I don't need another lens.
12-16-2016, 06:03 AM   #2246
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
I viewed that second image at full size on Flickr and for a cropped image it is incredibly sharp. A K10D and that Sigma 30/1.4 make a good combo. I must convince myself that I don't need another lens.
Well, I did add a good bit of sharpening but at least the details were already there... The lens is very very sharp. The perfect lens for the K10D
12-20-2016, 03:33 PM   #2247

After bricking a K110D recently ( don't ask) i purchased a K10D, body with battery grip, 3 batteries, remote control and charger and I love it as i was already a film Pentax user. I must admit its got a very film like approach for me and so I'm sure I will have a good time using it. It's a 9 year old camera which for me holds it's own.
12-20-2016, 10:37 PM   #2248

I have an K10D and i'd like it very much.
I always use combo K10D+ SMC-A 50 1.4
12-21-2016, 08:15 AM   #2249
Pentaxian

That is one of Paul's pictures that makes me wonder whether everywhere he walks with his camera there is a Zen garden.
12-21-2016, 08:51 AM   #2250
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
That is one of Paul's pictures that makes me wonder whether everywhere he walks with his camera there is a Zen garden.
Actually, there's a Zen Garden just next door to this chicken restaurant.
Old Studebaker pickup at a car show last Fall. 18-55 kit lens: