Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12503 Likes Search this Thread
03-11-2017, 09:41 PM   #2521

Love that green color! And to think that it was shot with kit lens! Pretty amazing.

03-11-2017, 09:46 PM   #2522
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
The K10D may well be "obsolete" but it is still capable of producing wonderful images. Here are a few from this morning taken with the SMC Pentax-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR:

Stunning!

In regards to Sony point and shoots with CCDs... for about a decade, my camera was a Sony DSC-P200... the one with the larger sensor (for the time) of 1/1.8". That allowed the camera to be useable at ISO 400, which was great for the time it was released
I got many, many pictures from that camera. In fact, when it broke, I got another one cheap, only for my son to drop it and break that one too. That's when we had a Nikon D7000 in our possession for a few months (it was my brother in law's) with the kit lens and the Nikon 35 1.8G. We loved it so much we decided to get a DSLR as well. My wife wanted something as good as the D7000 for 1/4 of the price max... so I ended up with the K20D at the time After a learning period, she agreed that it could take some very, very nice pictures. And I was hooked on Pentax... but missed the CCD. So for a while a K-r was our family shooter and the K20D was the "play" camera for me. The K-r was exchanged for a K-S1, and the K20D for a K10D... and all is well in the world
03-12-2017, 12:04 AM   #2523
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

The K10D may well be "obsolete" but it is still capable of producing wonderful images. Here are a few from this morning taken with the SMC Pentax-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR
You want more? Oh, OK then...
Superb, Ray - sharp, rich and nicely composed. Nothing about those photos says "obsolete" to me. Surprisingly good results from the 18-55... I was never fond of mine and sold it years ago, but have often toyed with the idea of trying another, purely because of the WR. Photos like these might finally convince me to get one
03-12-2017, 12:55 AM   #2524
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Stunning!
Thanks, CR. It was a good morning.

---------- Post added 12-03-17 at 06:59 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Superb, Ray - sharp, rich and nicely composed. Nothing about those photos says "obsolete" to me. Surprisingly good results from the 18-55... I was never fond of mine and sold it years ago, but have often toyed with the idea of trying another, purely because of the WR. Photos like these might finally convince me to get one
Thanks for your kind words, Mike. Yes, it does not feel obsolete to me - especially when used under the right conditions. And by now I know what they are. I promised that I would give the 18-55 a run and it performed well but the Sigma 17-70 is the one usually on the K10D.

Last edited by rayallen; 03-12-2017 at 01:01 AM.
03-12-2017, 03:38 PM   #2525
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice work Ray, and thanks for posting that 2nd set of car shots

Surfing in Dallas-Ft Worth? Well, kind of - this place specializes in wakesurfing and paddleboarding on the lake. F35-70:
03-15-2017, 08:48 AM - 1 Like   #2526
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I hope you'll forgive a couple of film shots, as I'm really partly fantasizing what my Sigma 21-35mm zoom, introduced in the post copied below, could do if I could stretch my K10D's sensor out to full-frame size. I also want to give some idea of what the lens can do in sunshine, as it was cloudy in those first tests, and I want to show it at an f-stop other than wide open. These are both at f/8. Sorry, if the color is a tad garish -- Kodak Ultramax 400 --- some of the shots on the roll look better converted to B&W than left in over-saturated color. Anyway, just these film shots. I'm already thinking of some things I want to shoot with the K10D today.

East side of the McDonough County Court House, Macomb, Illinois.

Farm ground north of Lewistown, Illinois.

These do kind of make me wish there was a way to stretch out the K10D sensor to a bigger size.....

QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
I took my K10D to the post office so that I could try this lens on it as soon as it arrived. Unfortunately, the sun picked the same time to disappear behind clouds that varied its light between a steely gray overcast and a less than cloudy bright. I tried something like those jpg settings of Dartmoor Dave's to see if they would punch up the images a little, but they still needed a little tweaking on the computer.

The lens in question? The 1979 Sigma F3.5(-4) 21-35mm, possibly the very first (if reports I've read are correct) "ultra-wide to wide angle" zoom lens. Before it, the only way to get below 24mm was with primes. Of course, it is only a medium-wide to wide-normal lens on a cropped sensor dslr, but that's not bad. It's one PF reviewer gives it a respectable score: Sigma 21-35mm F/3.5 - 4 Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Just to see what it could do wide open, I shot these all wide open. I could have stopped down at least a bit had I wanted to for most of these shots, if not all. I believe I kept alternating between 21mm and 35mm, using nothing in between for this series. It will be interesting to see what the lens can do in decent light.

All but the last of these were taken around the town of Fairview, Illinois, with the last taken in Norris.
03-15-2017, 09:08 AM   #2527
Unregistered User

After having shot with the K-1 for almost a year I started to wonder how the K10D would hold up with these sharper lenses I have bought since I sold my first K10D in 2010. I got a good deal on a used K10D in mint condition. Calibrated the AF and then put my FA31 on the camera. Shot RAW+ and the jpegs are very soft compared to the amount of sharpening and detail recovery the RAW shots can swallow on the computer before it becomes to much.

This shot came out so detailed I had to check if it really was the K10D and not the K-1...

So, the lesson here is to upgrade your lenses before you get a newer body if it is only the sharpness/detail you want to improve. Well, everyone already knows this but I for one need to see this from time to time.

03-15-2017, 12:28 PM   #2528
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

In good light the K10D did some very nice family portraits for me!

Colors were always the best!

Regards!
03-15-2017, 12:29 PM   #2529
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I promised I was going to shoot some K10D pictures today. Rather than cross-post the fruits of that experiment, I will just link to my post in the Bokeh thread.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/132843-bok...ml#post3945857

Last edited by goatsNdonkey; 03-15-2017 at 12:35 PM.
03-15-2017, 12:54 PM   #2530
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
The link does not take me to a thread...
I have fixed the link.
03-16-2017, 02:28 AM   #2531
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
After having shot with the K-1 for almost a year I started to wonder how the K10D would hold up with these sharper lenses I have bought since I sold my first K10D in 2010. I got a good deal on a used K10D in mint condition. Calibrated the AF and then put my FA31 on the camera. Shot RAW+ and the jpegs are very soft compared to the amount of sharpening and detail recovery the RAW shots can swallow on the computer before it becomes to much. This shot came out so detailed I had to check if it really was the K10D and not the K-1... So, the lesson here is to upgrade your lenses before you get a newer body if it is only the sharpness/detail you want to improve. Well, everyone already knows this but I for one need to see this from time to time.

That's a fantastic portrait, full of character, with wonderfully naturalistic skin tones. (But I think that any of the women in my life would want to kill me if I took a photo of them with that FA31 and revealed so much merciless skin detail.)
03-16-2017, 08:07 AM   #2532
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
That's a fantastic portrait, full of character . . .
Ahh, for just a moment there I thought you were referring to Rupert's "family portrait".
03-17-2017, 02:59 AM - 1 Like   #2533
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
Ahh, for just a moment there I thought you were referring to Rupert's "family portrait".

That's not really Rupert's family. It's part of his top secret experiment to breed together different species and create a quarter-ton longhorn squirrel.
03-17-2017, 07:27 AM   #2534
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
...a quarter-ton longhorn squirrel.
Oh. Kind'a like the 'jackalope' or the 'fur-bearing arctic trout' but with an attitude?
03-17-2017, 02:48 PM - 1 Like   #2535
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

At the gardens with the F35-70 again: