Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12503 Likes Search this Thread
03-22-2017, 02:55 PM   #2551
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
I managed to get out for a walk this afternoon to do my penance, using the SMC Takumar 24mm/3.5 because I tend to neglect it in favour of the 20mm. Which is a shame because the 24mm is a great lens in its own right.

Pony at Sweltor.

And a little something for our resident gearheads, Paul and Ray. American muscle on Dartmoor. I just wish it was mine.

Am I absolved?
Dave, I will certainly grant you absolution. Double absolution - firstly, for using the Takumar 24mm as that is one of my great favourites and secondly, for the fine shot of the new 'Stang. I did not expect to see one of those out on the moors. And you get a few extra points for the excellent shot of the pony. Beautiful light, great composition, good PP. As good as it gets.

You many now remove the cilice.

03-24-2017, 03:26 AM - 3 Likes   #2552
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Another frame of the same pony, taken exactly 36 seconds earlier according to the exif. The light is slightly more diffused, and cooler, because the sun hadn't come out from behind the clouds as much as in the next frame. And as you can see, the darn ponies do like to move around, so you have to find a composition on the fly and you can forget about a tripod. In hindsight, I think I prefer the composition in this frame over the one I previously posted, even though I had to crop this one.

Also, has anyone managed to clean their K10D sensor successfully, and can you recommend a brand to use? Mine is in desperate need to get rid of some spots that my blower can't blast away, but I'm really nervous about messing around with this beautiful sensor that I've come to rely on so much. And I'm not sure if I want to go for a "professional" clean in the local camera shop, when that would cost almost as much as a replacement camera body.

03-24-2017, 03:54 AM   #2553
Pentaxian

And I'm not sure if I want to go for a "professional" clean in the local camera shop, when that would cost almost as much as a replacement camera body.
My local branch of a well-known chain not beginning with 'J' charged me £20. Where can I get a K10D body for £20, please ?
03-24-2017, 05:01 AM   #2554
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
My local branch of a well-known chain not beginning with 'J' charged me £20. Where can I get a K10D body for £20, please ?

If it's not the chain beginning with a J, does that mean that it's the chain that abbreviates as LCE?

There's a London Camera Exchange in Plymouth, which would be the most convenient, but I could also head up to Exeter for the nearest Jessops. The lowest I've been quoted locally is £60, at a place I don't really trust, and one guy wanted £90 just to even look at the camera. £20 is definitely more in my price range.

03-24-2017, 05:08 AM   #2555
Pentaxian

If it's not the chain beginning with a J, does that mean that it's the chain that abbreviates as LCE?

There's a London Camera Exchange in Plymouth, which would be the most convenient, but I could also head up to Exeter for the nearest Jessops. The lowest I've been quoted locally is £60, at a place I don't really trust, and one guy wanted £90 just to even look at the camera. £20 is definitely more in my price range.
60 for a sensor clean is nuts considering even a proper wet clean isn't that difficult to do. You could try using an air compressor from a distance if you have access to one, it's a pretty common tactic for computer components.
03-24-2017, 05:55 AM   #2556
Veteran Member

Also, has anyone managed to clean their K10D sensor successfully, and can you recommend a brand to use? Mine is in desperate need to get rid of some spots that my blower can't blast away, but I'm really nervous about messing around with this beautiful sensor that I've come to rely on so much. And I'm not sure if I want to go for a "professional" clean in the local camera shop, when that would cost almost as much as a replacement camera body.
The Pentax cleaning lolli pop does well.

Cleaning kit for sensor O-ICK1 - RICOH IMAGING EUROPE S.A.S
03-24-2017, 06:38 AM - 1 Like   #2557
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Also, has anyone managed to clean their K10D sensor successfully, and can you recommend a brand to use?
Dave - my own approach to cleaning any DSLR or mirrorless sensor (including my K10D-clone GX10)has been 100% successful, and it's difficult to cause any damage unless you're extremely careless:

1) Start off with the camera's own dust removal function, running it a couple of times in succession with the lens off and the camera pointing down
2) Next, use a bulb blower - again, if you can point the camera down while doing this, it's better
3) If spots remain, use the Pentax O-ICK1 gel-stick to lift off any debris, cleaning the gel on the sticky paper provided after each lift-off
4) Finally, if the above still hasn't got rid of everything, wet clean using good quality 17mm DSLR sensor swabs and Eclipse or other good quality, high purity cleaning fluid
5) In case the wet cleaning has left behind any fibres (it shouldn't, if good quality swabs were used), return to step 1

Try one step at a time, testing after each one. Don't skip any steps, and stop as soon as there are no more spots. With this approach, you minimise any risk of scratching the colour filter array on top of the sensor, which most frequently happens when debris is pulled across it with swabs or other tools. By using the gel-stick before any wet clean, you'll remove any nasties in advance.

I get my cleaning supplies from Camera Cleaning & Protection Products | Camera Bags, Straps & Grips | Camera, Video & Phone Accessories | Just Ltd. Not the cheapest, but not badly priced either, and very good service.

Hope this helps.

03-24-2017, 07:40 AM - 1 Like   #2558
Pentaxian

Thanks folks, the O-ICK1 looks like the way to go. At first I was shocked by the price, but then I realised that it's something that can be used again in the future when needed. And I much prefer to do jobs by myself when I can. . . except brain surgery. . . but then if it was only minor brain surgery. . .
03-24-2017, 11:12 AM   #2559
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico

And a little something for our resident gearheads, Paul and Ray. American muscle on Dartmoor. I just wish it was mine.

Am I absolved?
Only if you remember next time that Racer is also a gearhead.

03-24-2017, 12:18 PM   #2560
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

to do my penance, using the SMC Takumar 24mm/3.5
Nice pair of "pony" shots, Dave. Penance paid!
03-24-2017, 03:05 PM   #2561
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks folks, the O-ICK1 looks like the way to go. At first I was shocked by the price, but then I realised that it's something that can be used again in the future when needed. And I much prefer to do jobs by myself when I can. . . except brain surgery. . . but then if it was only minor brain surgery. . .
Hi Dave,
I think you are on the right track with the advice from people local to you. It is not a difficult task and much more satisfying (and cheaper) to do it yourself.

I have used the advice and products from this guy (Introduction to the digital SLR cameras and its care) and his pages are worth a read. The process he describes is similar to that provided by BigMackCam. Using CameraCheckPoints products I successfully removed some stubborn spots from the sensor of my K10D. So, if I could do it I am sure that you could.
03-24-2017, 04:24 PM - 1 Like   #2562
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Only if you remember next time that Racer is also a gearhead.
Racer, you are a true gearhead indeed. Just yesterday I was looking at the great 80s racing photos that have been appearing in the "Before 1990" thread recently, and your name kept popping up. Reminded me of my first ever job, in the summers when I was still in high school in the early 80s (yes, American high school, on Long Island). I worked as mechanic/pit crew/gofer for a Formula Ford race preparation outfit, looking after cars owned by wealthy guys who fancied themselves as drivers but didn't want to get their hands dirty. Mostly Formula Ford 1600: Crossles, Van Diemens, and one or two Lolas. I think they thought that having an English kid on the team would add some class, but now when I think about those guys racing in cars set up by the teenage me, I'm just glad I never killed anyone.

Sadly, the only camera I had in those days was a little Kodak 110, and none of the photos have survived.
03-24-2017, 04:34 PM   #2563
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Racer, you are a true gearhead indeed. Just yesterday I was looking at the great 80s racing photos that have been appearing in the "Before 1990" thread recently, and your name kept popping up. Reminded me of my first ever job, in the summers when I was still in high school in the early 80s (yes, American high school, on Long Island). I worked as mechanic/pit crew/gofer for a Formula Ford race preparation outfit, looking after cars owned by wealthy guys who fancied themselves as drivers but didn't want to get their hands dirty. Mostly Formula Ford 1600: Crossles, Van Diemens, and one or two Lolas. I think they thought that having an English kid on the team would add some class, but now when I think about those guys racing in cars set up by the teenage me, I'm just glad I never killed anyone.

Sadly, the only camera I had in those days was a little Kodak 110, and none of the photos have survived.

Crossles, Van Diemens and Lolas, oh my!

I know those cars well. Many guys and a few gals in the club I race with have them. At one time they were very popular. Most of the drivers worked on their own cars and did the setups and such. They always group together in the paddock, a tight knot group they are.

There are the occasional drivers (both open wheel and saloons) that are somehow too good to get their hands dirty, and wealthy enough that they can pay others to do everything. They just show up with a helmet and Nomex suit, get in and go. Some are good drivers, some not so much.

Still, I live, eat and sleep mechanical everything. Probably why I like cameras.

Oh, and if you cut me, I bleed engine oil.
03-24-2017, 05:00 PM   #2564
Pentaxian

(yes, American high school, on Long Island).
I lived on Long Island most of my life (94-2012 ), how much different was it in the 80s? It got really really crowded before I left.
03-25-2017, 02:39 AM   #2565
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
I lived on Long Island most of my life (94-2012 ), how much different was it in the 80s? It got really really crowded before I left.

Cool, whereabouts did you live?

I lived in Kings Park, Suffolk County from 78 to 86, all the way through my teens, and it was a great place to grow up. Small town America at its best. Many times I've wished I never left, but life is what it is: you make the decisions that seem right at the time, and you accept the consequences. The nice thing is that my sister still lives on the same street, so I still get to revisit the old places.

You're right about the crowding, there's so much more development on the Island now than there was in those days. The feeling of the place is very different now. After Long Island I lived in Scottsdale, Arizona for a couple of years, and the wide open spaces of the desert suited me much better. If I'd taken US citizenship when I had the chance, I'd probably be here on Pentax Forums as "Desert Dave" or something, posting lots of photos of cactus and canyons. C'est la vie.