Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12492 Likes Search this Thread
04-08-2017, 03:48 PM - 1 Like   #2611
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The old F35-70 has been glued to my K10D for months now. Here's a couple from late December:

04-08-2017, 05:57 PM   #2612
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
The old F35-70 has been glued to my K10D for months now. Here's a couple from late December:

Ihave the same lens only it is only an A 35-70. PRODUCES STUNNING RESULTS. Judging by your pictures the same holds true for the f version.
04-08-2017, 06:15 PM   #2613
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by niceshot Quote
Ihave the same lens only it is only an A 35-70. PRODUCES STUNNING RESULTS. Judging by your pictures the same holds true for the f version.
Thanks. If it's the f/3.5-4.5 version (not the f/4), then they are probably the same optically. Yup, hard to beat the "look" vintage lenses give you
04-08-2017, 07:07 PM - 5 Likes   #2614
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K10D at iso800, Chinar f2.8 35mm at f4 or 5.6

04-09-2017, 12:39 AM - 2 Likes   #2615
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote

Love it. Really love it. It's intensely atmospheric and perfectly composed, and the visible noise is a major part of why I like it so much. It's a night shot that actually looks like it was taken at night, and that's something that we rarely see these days.

Here's one with the Super Takumar 20mm (xposted in the Takumar Club).
04-09-2017, 05:50 AM   #2616
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks, Dave!

It was getting darker fast as I was experimenting with exposures. To have a hope of handholding the shot, or not have the sky go black, I had to dial the iso up, and up. I usually keep it pegged at 100.

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
Love it. Really love it. It's intensely atmospheric and perfectly composed, and the visible noise is a major part of why I like it so much. It's a night shot that actually looks like it was taken at night, and that's something that we rarely see these days.

Here's one with the Super Takumar 20mm (xposted in the Takumar Club).
04-09-2017, 12:12 PM   #2617

Ahem.... am I the only one not seeing the photo?
Or ... the king is actually naked?

04-09-2017, 12:20 PM   #2618
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by woodenbits Quote
Photo coming through fine for me - it's the moon skulking behind a tree.
04-09-2017, 02:38 PM   #2619
Pentaxian

Or ... the king is actually naked?
Perhaps you are seeing it but you don't find it to your taste? Perhaps you feel that it violates certain conventions that you believe to be rules? After all, everyone knows that photographs should be noise free and sharp from corner to corner, with detail visible down to every last pixel. Otherwise, how can we quantify them? How can we use them to tell who owns the best equipment?

If I said that a photograph was immaculate in its digital finery when it wasn't, then I'd be praising the king for sashaying down the street with his dangly bits hanging out. In this case, that's not the case.

Never assume that somebody has failed to conform to a set of arbitrary rules that they might have been uninterested in satisfying in the first place. There is no neutral metalanguage that describes what a photograph should be. I like that photograph very much, and I'd hang it on my wall.
04-09-2017, 03:06 PM - 1 Like   #2620
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

King? I want to assert here and now that I am of purely mongrel peasant stock.

If it was a statement about a technical problem, the photo not displaying for someone, I don't know how to correct it, since it displays for me and I don't know what the problem would be preventing that for somebody else.

It it was a statement that the picture wasn't appreciated by somebody else, that is what I would expect. I have no quarrel with PFers having different tastes. If fact, there are a few things I could call out as problems with the picture myself. It was just another picture I took. A picture I had some trouble taking, with a lens that doesn't behave as nicely as some others, and in that context I thought it didn't turn out that bad. So I thought I would share it, as one more example of my photography experience. Besides, it was last night's moon here where I live, and maybe someone else might want to see it for that, if not as great art.

I'm always a bit surprised to get likes or, particularly, posted compliments. That some of my posts would not meet some PFer's expectations, consequently, is neither a surprise nor a problem for me. It doesn't take the reading and examination of hundreds of pages of forum discussion pages, as I have done, to realize that participants here are working at a wide range of levels and with as varied objectives as photographers. That is all fine with me. My participation amounts to nothing more than a few drops in a very big bucket. Drip, drip, drip....and, unexpectedly, now and then a slightly bigger splash.
04-09-2017, 07:06 PM - 1 Like   #2621

Oh mine, I did not anticipate that my post will case so much agony. I apologize for that. For some weird unknown technical reason I really see no picture on that post. And that reference to king and his clothing was just an opaque and awkward reference back to ME feeling a fool, not seeing a picture that everybody is praising. But humor sometimes does not work as intended, especially on internet. I do not mind noisy picture, I am not a purist, and not even a good photographer. I just wanted to enjoy the picture, and was curious if everybody else is able to see it, that is it.

Now I will go back to my corner to sulk. No picture for me today. Will try on different computer/network tomorrow, probably should help with this mystery.
04-09-2017, 07:12 PM   #2622
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh mine, I did not anticipate that my post will case so much agony. I apologize for that. For some weird unknown technical reason I really see no picture on that post. And that reference to king and his clothing was just an opaque and awkward reference back to ME feeling a fool, not seeing a picture that everybody is praising. But humor sometimes does not work as intended, especially on internet. I do not mind noisy picture, I am not a purist, and not even a good photographer. I just wanted to enjoy the picture, and was curious if everybody else is able to see it, that is it.

Now I will go back to my corner to sulk. No picture for me today. Will try on different computer/network tomorrow, probably should help with this mystery.
No worries. I find that my browser sometimes won't display photos hosted on photobucket for some reason. Other times it will....kinda annoying. btw, please do post here when you can!
04-09-2017, 08:09 PM   #2623
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No problem, woodenbits. That's what I thought you had meant, but sometimes critical discussions start up in threads, and I'm not the first to notice. If a photo of mine inadvertently helped trigger such a discussion that is okay. I'm not really going to take it personally.

As for the photo not showing, when my connection is slow, sometimes I have to reload a discussion thread page a few times before every one of the pictures displays on my screen. Could that be what is happening? If so, try reloading the page a few times, and give the page plenty of time, in case most of the page is displayed long before it is done bringing up the last picture.

If the photo still doesn't appear, is there something else that appears where it is supposed to be? Try right clicking on that, and if if the option to "open image in new tab [or window]" is presented, try selecting that option.

Good luck!

04-09-2017, 08:21 PM - 2 Likes   #2624
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

By the way, I have to say I was inspired by your photo last night while out walking the dog. It was starting to get dark, and I came upon this scene and immediately thought of your photo . It's offtopic here, since it was shot with a K5 (blasphemy!), but here it is in smallish format. Doesn't come close to capturing the mood of your shot, but I tried...
04-09-2017, 11:19 PM - 4 Likes   #2625
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had some fun today. I went out with my K10D and a few MF lenses and my new O-ME53 Magnifying Eyecup. Yes, it has made using MF lenses even more enjoyable. Here are some examples of my enjoyment.
The are JPGs taken with DDS (Dartmoor Dave's Settings) and a bit of tweaking on some by me.

Tamron SP 28-70.

Super Takumar 50mm f1.4 (7 element version)

Super Takumar 24mm f3.5

Super Takumar 28mm f3.5

Last edited by rayallen; 04-10-2017 at 02:56 AM.