Photos: Gallery | Albums
A couple more from a hike on some horse trails in late April. K10D and F80-200:
Butterflies on milkweed:

Asters along the trail:

05-26-2017, 12:04 PM - 1 Like   #2732
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
A bit of OOF rendering from the F80-200 on a K10D. I never did find that "scenic point" on these horse trails...

Around here, following a signpost is a guaranteed way to end up as far away from where you want to be as possible. Most of 'em haven't pointed in the right direction since about 1537. Love the look you get with that F80-200, Paul.

Here's one with the 18-55mm WR (xposted). I've decided to do a self-imposed period of using modern autofocus lenses only. Crikey, they make photography seem complicated!

05-26-2017, 08:02 PM - 1 Like   #2733
Pentaxian

Ok, I usually don't do this but I'll link to someone else's photo on flickr... a breathtaking landscape taken with a K10D: 1508044889-95 Waters of So?a river | Triglav National Park, ? | Flickr

That picture truly inspires me.
05-26-2017, 11:05 PM   #2734
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Ok, I usually don't do this but I'll link to someone else's photo on flickr... a breathtaking landscape taken with a K10D: 1508044889-95 Waters of So?a river | Triglav National Park, ? | Flickr

That picture truly inspires me.
Very nice indeed. He also has some excellent film panos in his Flickr stream.

05-27-2017, 12:54 AM - 3 Likes   #2735

First time in the K10D Club...

Hi all, I bought a K10D about a month ago after using a Sony NEX with adapters as my digital camera for a few years but missing the "proper" camera ergonomics and a viewfinder. After a brief stint with a Sony a350, which was a bit awkward to use on Manual mode with M42 lenses, I then tried an older a100. It's simpler to use than the a350, better designed (in my view) and can use Av mode with M42 lenses (which most Sony a DSLRs can't, bizarrely). It also has a 10MP Sony CCD sensor...

But I still wanted something digital to use Pentax K lenses on, as well as M42, so I started looking back at Pentax. (Had a Kx before I got the Sony NEX in around 2013 but was desperately disappointed by the viewfinder, coming from Pentax film bodies like the ME Super, Super A etc, so I sold it and bought the NEX after a couple of months.)

I came across a "Pentax digital camera" on eBay which didn't even mention it was a K10D, but I saw the badge in the pictures, did some research, then bought it.

Spent the last few weeks reading through this thread and have learned loads! Anyone who has a K10D should go back and read through from the first post, there's so much useful information, not to mention an abundance of inspiring photographs.

In the meantime I've been shooting with the K10D with a range of M42 and PK lenses, and finding which I like best. Trying to get down to a small(ish) core collection of M42 and PK lenses (maybe 6-8 of each max, or about 12 across the two mounts) to use with film cameras (Spotmatic F, Program A) and the K10D.

Also thinking about getting a 6MP CCD Pentax like the *ist D, DS or DS2, as the wonderful performance of the K10D's 10MP CCD has me curious. Though I've discovered, I think, that the Sony a100 actually has the same 10MP Sony CCD Sensor so I may just keep that as a back up for the K10D M42 lenses.

Anyway, hi everyone, and here's a favourite shot I got recently with the K10D and the classic Pentax-M 50/1.7.

Best,

Dan
05-27-2017, 06:31 AM   #2736
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome, Dan!
05-28-2017, 12:12 PM   #2737
Pentaxian

Hi Dan! Welcome aboard.

05-28-2017, 12:54 PM   #2738

Been gone a long time from the forum.

My K10 just died. Taking handheld sunset shots and the shutter release just failed. No trauma, no violence. Working fine and then not so much.

I have changed all the variables with batteries and no joy.

Everything else works just not the shutter release.

Is it a lost cause? Is there a quick miracle fix? How much to repair? Or just not worth it?

Thanks for any info....
05-28-2017, 02:44 PM   #2739
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by THAN THE SWORD Quote

My K10 just died. Taking handheld sunset shots and the shutter release just failed. No trauma, no violence. Working fine and then not so much.

Is it a lost cause? Is there a quick miracle fix? How much to repair? Or just not worth it?

Thanks for any info....
So sorry to hear it . . . dump and rebuy. Cameras today are disposable, unfortunately. Good luck.
05-28-2017, 03:07 PM   #2740
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan James Quote
Anyway, hi everyone, and here's a favourite shot I got recently with the K10D and the classic Pentax-M 50/1.7.
Welcome Dan, and nice shooting. We've talked on Flickr, but just wanted to give you an official PF shout out

My K10 just died.
Probably cheaper to replace than to repair. It's a 10 yr old camera after all - so anything can happen.

F80-200 again:
05-28-2017, 03:51 PM   #2741
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Before dumping <<<<<let's not jump to the worst conclusion friends>>>> you might want to try reinstalling the firmware. It could just be a minor corruption in the program. (There is a later Pentax dslr that gets an aperture or shutter issue that has a software fix; this may be different but it proves such things are possible.) Reinstalling the firmware might not fix it, but if it does, it is a lot cheaper than finding a new K10D. I believe there are instructions for how to update/install the firmware here at PF. When I discovered my K10D had the latest version installed, I didn't study the process, but it's here somewhere.

Thanks for any info....
05-28-2017, 07:49 PM   #2742

Goats - great advice, I had not even thought that it might be the firmware. With great hope I figured out how to update the K10. But again was met with failure. The camera went from Ver 1.30 to 1.31.

A virgin sacrifice? Some chickens perhaps? Anything that might work is worthwhile. Otherwise it will make a nice addition to my old camera collection (also know as my paperweight collection...)
05-29-2017, 01:49 AM   #2743
Veteran Member

First thing I'd try is using the cable release - check it's not just the shutter button.
05-29-2017, 02:13 AM   #2744
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

G'day Dan, And welcome to our group. We have also talked on Flickr and it is good to see you here.

Your initial image is a cracker. Sharp where it needs to be with beautiful bokeh behind. Please show us more.

---------- Post added 29-05-17 at 07:14 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by sqrrl Quote
First thing I'd try is using the cable release - check it's not just the shutter button.
That is a brilliant idea. Very good thinking.
05-29-2017, 03:40 AM   #2745
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi all, I bought a K10D about a month ago after using a Sony NEX with adapters as my digital camera for a few years but missing the "proper" camera ergonomics and a viewfinder. After a brief stint with a Sony a350, which was a bit awkward to use on Manual mode with M42 lenses, I then tried an older a100. It's simpler to use than the a350, better designed (in my view) and can use Av mode with M42 lenses (which most Sony a DSLRs can't, bizarrely). It also has a 10MP Sony CCD sensor...

But I still wanted something digital to use Pentax K lenses on, as well as M42, so I started looking back at Pentax. (Had a Kx before I got the Sony NEX in around 2013 but was desperately disappointed by the viewfinder, coming from Pentax film bodies like the ME Super, Super A etc, so I sold it and bought the NEX after a couple of months.)

I came across a "Pentax digital camera" on eBay which didn't even mention it was a K10D, but I saw the badge in the pictures, did some research, then bought it.

Spent the last few weeks reading through this thread and have learned loads! Anyone who has a K10D should go back and read through from the first post, there's so much useful information, not to mention an abundance of inspiring photographs.

In the meantime I've been shooting with the K10D with a range of M42 and PK lenses, and finding which I like best. Trying to get down to a small(ish) core collection of M42 and PK lenses (maybe 6-8 of each max, or about 12 across the two mounts) to use with film cameras (Spotmatic F, Program A) and the K10D.

Also thinking about getting a 6MP CCD Pentax like the *ist D, DS or DS2, as the wonderful performance of the K10D's 10MP CCD has me curious. Though I've discovered, I think, that the Sony a100 actually has the same 10MP Sony CCD Sensor so I may just keep that as a back up for the K10D M42 lenses.

Best,

Dan
I like it, nice job.