Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2017, 10:40 AM - 1 Like   #2776
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Euonymus leaves with the K10D and A 35-105. Xpst.

06-01-2017, 03:31 PM   #2777
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MJSteele Quote
Very nice shots
Really like the yellow in the one with the raindrop
What he said.
06-02-2017, 08:47 AM - 1 Like   #2778
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice work, everyone!

A couple recent ones with the F35-70, one of my favorites to use with the K10.
My wife capturing a few sunset shots:

Taken a bit earlier:
06-02-2017, 12:52 PM - 4 Likes   #2779
Pentaxian

Paul has been inspiring me to get my manual tele zoom out again... so I grabbed my lovely SMC-A 70-210mm f4 and I'm posting pics from it all over the forum, so many keepers I can't believe I haven't given this lens the proper attention it deserves...

Here showcasing colors from the K10D, of course... such a great combination of camera+lens...

06-02-2017, 02:05 PM   #2780

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
I haven't had any problems with the open aperture lug on the later Taks...

Looking forward to seeing your results particularly with the 28mm when it arrives. Is it the early one with the 58mm filter ring, or the later one with the 49mm ring? The 24mm is also a mighty lens if you can get one for a sensible price - I think the sharpest of the wide Taks. And if you get the chance to own the 20mm, just do it. Don't even stop to think.
The 28/3.5 arrived today. It's a beautiful little thing, like all the Taks! It's a Super, and it has a 49mm filter ring, like all five of my Taks. I'm not usually a wide angle guy and rarely go below 50mm. I've had 28mm lenses on film before which performed very well (Pentax-M, Yashica ML, Minolta Rokkor) but I could never get my head around the focal length. I had a play in the garden this afternoon and I was surprised by the 3D separation for a wide lens, really impressed. This was at f/4. So I'm looking forward to shooting it more, hopefully at the weekend.

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
Your comments on the early K-mounts are interesting. I have occasionally been tempted to get one or two but I have a very good range of Takumars that work well in AV mode and are very nice to use. All my K-mount lenses are late model AF zooms and a couple of plastic fantastic primes (50mm and 35mm). Yes, I have those two focal lengths in Takumars but sometimes it is easier and quicker to change a K-mount!
Ray, I assumed the M series would be easier to use on the K10D, in honesty. Though the green button is very clever, it's not as intuitive and simple as using Av and an M42 lens. I don't think I'll get any more M series (or indeed anything later) as I prefer M42, and of course Takumars.

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I think the K series is either identical or at least very similar to the SMC or S-M-C Takumars in terms of look and coatings (with exception to later lenses like the K 24 2.8 which is really an M era lens, but was called a K because it is quite larger than most M's of shorter focal lengths).
Yes, I've read in a number of places that the K series 55/2 and 55/1.8 were basically the Taks with a bayonet mount. Much the same as the KM was essentially a Spotmatic F with bayonet mount. Also I believe the 55/2 is simply a slightly limited 55/1.8. Rather than design a whole new "budget" lens, Pentax just limited the 55/1.8 and sold it as a cheaper lens. I've had both 55/2 and 55/1.8 in Tak and PK versions and couldn't tell any difference.

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
Yes, you're absolutely right. Many of the K series are basically late model Takumars with a K mount instead of M42. I notice that Dan only mentions Super Takumars and presets in his list of the ones he's got so far, so Dan: be careful. You might not like the rendering characteristics of the late Takumars as much as the ones you've got at the moment. Personally I'll always go for a Super Takumar if I've got the option.
Like you Dave since my troubles with the extra lugs on SMCs I've stuck to Super Taks when I have the option, plus I have a couple of plain Taks (105/2.8 and 135/3.5) with preset aperture (which I love), and these lenses are both pretty stunning too! But now I'm curious about the S-M-C and SMCs and wouldn't turn one down in a focal length still on my wishlist. We need a bit of variety!
06-02-2017, 05:05 PM - 1 Like   #2781

K10D with Vivitar 28 2.8 Cosina Lens

---------- Post added 06-02-17 at 05:21 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Paul has been inspiring me to get my manual tele zoom out again... so I grabbed my lovely SMC-A 70-210mm f4 and I'm posting pics from it all over the forum, so many keepers I can't believe I haven't given this lens the proper attention it deserves...

Here showcasing colors from the K10D, of course... such a great combination of camera+lens...

Christian, I have that same manual zoom myself....SMC- A 70-210 f-4
after seeing your shots with it I am glad I picked that one up recently
those are Some very nice results you got with it

Last edited by MJSteele; 02-17-2018 at 06:50 AM.
06-02-2017, 08:28 PM   #2782
Pentaxian

---------- Post added 06-02-17 at 05:21 PM ----------

Christian, I have that same manual zoom myself....SMC- A 70-210 f-4
after seeing your shots with it I am glad I picked that one up recently
those are Some very nice results you got with it
Thank you, that is too kind... You are getting some very nice shots with that Cosina 28mm yourself
I have a Cosina made 24mm f2.8 that is also a great lens.
06-02-2017, 10:45 PM   #2783
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan James Quote
The 28/3.5 arrived today. It's a beautiful little thing, like all the Taks! It's a Super, and it has a 49mm filter ring, like all five of my Taks. I'm not usually a wide angle guy and rarely go below 50mm. I've had 28mm lenses on film before which performed very well (Pentax-M, Yashica ML, Minolta Rokkor) but I could never get my head around the focal length. I had a play in the garden this afternoon and I was surprised by the 3D separation for a wide lens, really impressed. This was at f/4. So I'm looking forward to shooting it more, hopefully at the weekend.

I have the same lens, Dan. I decided that I wanted the 49mm filter version and I waited quite a while before one came up on eBay and I grabbed it as soon as it did. But that was a few years back now and it is still in as new condition. It is the Model II of that lens; they were made between 1966 and 1971; the product number is 43871; it weighs 210 grams/7.4 ounces; and is claimed to have distortion of < 5%. The later versions are supposed to have the newer coating (SMC) but there is no way to tell. That is one lens that I will never part with.

06-02-2017, 10:56 PM - 1 Like   #2784
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great to see this group really coming to life with all these amazing contributions!
Yes, it's late, but I thought I'd post one more with the F80-200:
06-02-2017, 10:57 PM   #2785
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan James Quote
28 is the new 50. Ish.

I picked up a Sigma 28mm f2.8 Mini Wide from Jean Poitiers a few years back. It immediately became my walk around lens. It sees more use than any of my other lenses.

Fast.

Sharp.

Just right.
06-03-2017, 12:32 AM - 1 Like   #2786

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
I have the same lens, Dan. I decided that I wanted the 49mm filter version and I waited quite a while before one came up on eBay and I grabbed it as soon as it did. But that was a few years back now and it is still in as new condition. It is the Model II of that lens; they were made between 1966 and 1971; the product number is 43871; it weighs 210 grams/7.4 ounces; and is claimed to have distortion of < 5%. The later versions are supposed to have the newer coating (SMC) but there is no way to tell. That is one lens that I will never part with.
The smaller Taks literally feel like little jewels don't they? I like variety, but I also like uniformity, and having five Taks now that all take the same size lens cap is somehow reassuring!

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
28 is the new 50. Ish.

I picked up a Sigma 28mm f2.8 Mini Wide from Jean Poitiers a few years back. It immediately became my walk around lens. It sees more use than any of my other lenses.

Fast.

Sharp.

Just right.
I've had a couple of these in the past, and a 24mm version, and I've been impressed by the close focus and general performance. The thing I struggle with that was common to all of them was a very plasticky aperture ring that is hard to use smoothly - I was always overshooting the aperture I wanted then clicking back to and fro.

With Pentax lenses (certainly Takumar and Pentax K/SMC and M) the aperture ring is so perfectly balanced in terms of resistance. Though I haven't used a Sigma on Auto aperture, and to be fair, the Pentax A series I've had are also plasticky and annoying if you're selecting aperture manually! I guess these era lenses were meant to be used on Auto 90% of the time...

---------- Post added 06-03-17 at 12:48 AM ----------

I love my K10D, and with only about 6500 shutter actuations hopefully it's got years of life in it yet. But I have been thinking of a back up option or another similar digital body to complement it.

The options are pretty simple -

1. Another K10D, or Samsung GX10, both of which are quite readily available for around 100-130 in the UK. This would make sense, I might lean towards a Samsung just to have something slightly different, then alternate between the K10D I have and the Samsung. Or use one as a purely M42 body (I just fitted my K10D with the Pentax O-ME53 Magnifying Eyecup and a diagonal split prism focusing screen which have made the focusing easier and much more like a film body) and the new back up body as K mount body for SMC/K, M, A and AF lenses (though I rarely use any AF lenses).

2. A slightly older 6MP CCD body, which I've narrowed down to the ist D, DS or DS2, all of which have the same 0.95 95% VF as the K10D (I wouldn't want any less than this, although the DL bodies are abundantly available second hand here). I'm curious about the 6MP CCD sensor, and have had a chat with Paulh about this already. These are also more compact so would make an interesting alternative in that sense - the K10D has wonderful handling but it isn't the smallest or lightest! The downside is these are relatively rare in the UK (especially the DS2), though do come up in Japan which I could buy. Also they cost at least as much as the K10D/GX-10 options. And of course they're potentially another few years older than the K10D so might die at any time.

Any thoughts / experiences? I'd be really interested to hear.

In the meantime a couple more with the K10D and Super Takumar 55/1.8.

06-03-2017, 08:12 AM   #2787
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've tried installing a split prism screen twice in a K10D and both times I mangled the screen frame.

---------- Post added 06-03-17 at 09:51 AM ----------

K10D and A 35-105.

Last edited by wtlwdwgn; 06-03-2017 at 08:52 AM.
06-03-2017, 11:50 AM - 2 Likes   #2788
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K10D and A 35-105. Xpst.
06-03-2017, 12:44 PM   #2789

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
I've tried installing a split prism screen twice in a K10D and both times I mangled the screen frame. [COLOR="Silver"]
I found mine quite straightforward, though I have done one before on a Contax 167MT, which was very similar in design and procedure.

One reason I bought the screen from the seller I did (in Japan) was their listing had very clear photos of how to install it.

Dual 45 Split image Focus Screen For Pentax K20D K10D | eBay

I started with the camera upside down as they advised, and what I found helped was after unclipping the metal clip that holds the screen in (with tweezers provided) by then gently tilting the camera back towards right way up again the metal frame just drops down and you can then remove the screen by its tab, replace it with the new one. Then gently tilt the camera back towards being fully upside down and the metal frame gently drops back down in place. You then just make sure the metal retaining clip is engaged and it's done. You don't need to even touch that metal screen frame, so it can become damaged. Hope that helps ,should you try again.

I really like the shot of the red leaves and I've had an A 35-105 on my wishlist for a little while. But others keep coming higher (mostly Takumars!). I have the A 35-70/4 which performs much better than I expected, so the 35-105 might have to bump up the wishlist a few places...
06-03-2017, 02:26 PM - 1 Like   #2790
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
flowers and nature are the theme,let me join in with the AutoTakumar 35mm 2.3
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo