Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2017, 07:14 PM - 1 Like   #2806
Pentaxian

Dave, we'll forgive you if you post some more pony pictures whenever that's convenient.

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
Sorry folks, but you're going to have to ignore my earlier not-so-bright idea about AV mode with M and K lenses. I remembered that I've got an old zoom that I could test the idea with, and it doesn't work. It turns out, to my astonishment, that the stop-down lever is NOT activated when you shoot in AV mode, so that the lens does not stop down to the f-stop that you've set on the aperture ring. I cannot think of any earthly reason why the stop-down lever doesn't operate in AV mode when you trigger the shutter, but it doesn't. The lens will stay stubbornly wide open, no matter what f-stop you set. I fully understand the reasons why the lens stays open for metering, but it's been a real surprise to find out that it doesn't then stop down when you actually shoot.

Live and learn. . . but I'm a stubborn old so-and-so, so I think I'll be doing some more experimentation with this in the not-too-distant future. . .

06-07-2017, 12:58 PM - 2 Likes   #2807

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Here's another old thread regarding the green button metering inconsistencies with the K10D:
K10D + LL-60 Focusing Screen + K/M lenses - PentaxForums.com
Thanks for this link Paul, very interesting. I've actually just bought a Samsung GX-1s as a back up body for my K10D - I understand they are the same as the *ist DS but with Samsung branding, like the GX-10 is to the K10D. So when I get it I'm wondering about trying to either switch focusing screens and try the GX-1s screen in the K10D and see if it meters better with K/M lenses and/or just try K/M lenses on the GX-1s and see if the metering is more consistent. Then depending on what else I like (or not) about the GX-1s, I can have one body for K/M lenses and the other for M42.

Sorry folks, but you're going to have to ignore my earlier not-so-bright idea about AV mode with M and K lenses...

Live and learn. . . but I'm a stubborn old so-and-so, so I think I'll be doing some more experimentation with this in the not-too-distant future. . .
Look forward to this experimentation! I loved your experiments some pages back about sanding the front glass of modern AF lenses... I also wondered about trying two very neutral filters (maybe skylight filters?) screwed one on top of the other, but with a layer of something in between, like Vaseline or some kind of semi translucent paper, or even some coloured liquid? The possibilities are endless!

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
Ahah, that's the best explanation (by Dave) of the "crippled K-mount". I don't have any lenses that would have been affected by that so I did not delve any further into it. So, that settles it. I will stick with my modern AF zooms and primes and my wonderful screw-mount Takumars.
Ray this is almost what I've come around to with my K10D already - it was almost made for Takumars! On the modern AF front I have considered a DA 35/2.4 or 40/2.8 XS (I don't have any other AF lenses). I think you have the 35/2.4? Would you recommend? Any experience with any of the 40/2.8s?

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Greens from the K10D...

The K10D does beautiful things with greens. I always love trees but I seem to have been photographing more trees in the last few weeks with my K10D than with any previous cameras...

In other news, a couple more recent shots with my K10D and Taks...

Super-Takumar 55/1.8

Super-Takumar 150/4
06-07-2017, 01:58 PM - 2 Likes   #2808
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some more greens... and pink!

And an old house turned into a store in the Atlanta suburbs:

06-07-2017, 03:53 PM   #2809
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan James Quote

Ray this is almost what I've come around to with my K10D already - it was almost made for Takumars! On the modern AF front I have considered a DA 35/2.4 or 40/2.8 XS (I don't have any other AF lenses). I think you have the 35/2.4? Would you recommend? Any experience with any of the 40/2.8s?
Yes, Dan, I have a DA 35mm F2.4 and a DA 50mm f1.8. The 35mm is equivalent to 50mm on APS-C and I am very comfortable with that FL. I got the 50mm because everyone should have a nifty fifty but I use it less often as the longer FL on APS-C is a bit too long for me but it is still a good lens. However, my favourite prime by far is my DA 15mm f4 ED AL Limited. Shooting with that lens is very enjoyable and satisfying. If you want another thread to follow have a look at this one: The 15mm Limited controls my mind - club - PentaxForums.com.
I don't have a 40/2.8 so can't comment.

That first image is superb. Very easy to look at. Thank you for your contributions so far.

06-08-2017, 01:46 AM - 1 Like   #2810

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
Yes, Dan, I have a DA 35mm F2.4 and a DA 50mm f1.8. The 35mm is equivalent to 50mm on APS-C and I am very comfortable with that FL. I got the 50mm because everyone should have a nifty fifty but I use it less often as the longer FL on APS-C is a bit too long for me but it is still a good lens. However, my favourite prime by far is my DA 15mm f4 ED AL Limited. Shooting with that lens is very enjoyable and satisfying. If you want another thread to follow have a look at this one: The 15mm Limited controls my mind - club - PentaxForums.com.
I don't have a 40/2.8 so can't comment.

That first image is superb. Very easy to look at. Thank you for your contributions so far.
Ray, thanks re the image - it's the K10D and Taks doing the work! : )

I recently got the Super-Tak 28/3.5 and am finding that quite a radical field of view. I rarely go below 50/55mm and more recently have been using the 70mm end of my A 35-70/4, the Tak 105/2.8 and then a handful of 135s. I have an M42 Zeiss Flektogon 35/2.4 though I don't use it much these days, I did more with film.

Anyway, the point is I don't plan to get a collection of AF lenses (maybe not any) but if I do get one I would think about something quite versatile, like the DA 35/2.4 or that absolutely tiny 40/2.8 XS. The 15mm looks wonderful, but at this stage in my photography is scarily radical in how wide it is, even on APS-C! Plus they seem to be around 300, way beyond my budget.

I have thought about a 20mm Tak (mostly due to Dartmoor Dave's barren yet beautiful landscapes), but they're pretty pricey too (200+). My previous ceiling for a single lens has been about 100. More often they're under 50, I think only one of my Taks was over that, the 105/2.8 was around 70. And well worth it I might add.

I think I need to get to know the lenses I have better first (especially the five Taks) before thinking more seriously about an AF lens, or maybe another Tak, like an 85mm or the 20mm, or the 100/4 Macro. Thanks for your input, much appreciated!

Pentax K10D with Super-Takumar 28mm f/3.5
06-08-2017, 01:15 PM - 4 Likes   #2811
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
Dave, we'll forgive you if you post some more pony pictures whenever that's convenient.

Here at the Dartmoor Dave Corporation we operate a "Ponies on Request" policy, so I'm happy to expedite your order. In the back you will also see one of the famous but rarely sighted Ridealong Sheep of Dartmoor, which have learnt how to hitch rides on the backs of ponies. Quite a phenomenal feat of balance and inter-species cooperation.

(Or it could just be that the sheep is standing on a rock.)
(Takumar 20mm, by the way.)
06-08-2017, 05:34 PM - 1 Like   #2812

Photos: Gallery
Okay, so first the inevitable disclaimer: I'm not using the same firmware version as you, so this might work or it might not. Since your camera is bricked anyway, you might as well give it a try.

Download PK Tether from here: PK_Tether Tethering software for Pentax DSLR |. Connect your camera to your computer via USB and switch it on. PK Tether should detect the camera and take control of it.

As a first step, try to simply take a photo using the shutter button in PK Tether. If that works then at least you'll know that the shutter is mechanically functional. If it doesn't work, try debug mode.

On my version of PK Tether there is a menu item at the top left for debug mode. In older versions of PK Tether it was one of the options among the main camera settings. Either way, click the button to enable debug mode and you will now get the debug menu on the camera.

Scroll down to the item in the debug menu called RELEASE AGING (if it exists in your firmware version) and enable it. The shutter should now fire continuously until you disable RELEASE AGING. If the shutter does fire, cancel RELEASE AGING and disable debug mode using PK Tether, and hopefully the camera will now work. If not even RELEASE AGING can make the shutter fire then the camera needs repairs that are really not economical. Just replace it.

I've had to leave this all a lot more general than I'd like to, because we're using different firmware versions on different models of the camera (mine is the GX-10). So I simply can't give you guaranteed accurate details of what you will see. If you're the sort of person who is willing to look through a list of menu options on a screen and use your common sense (and Google) to figure out what's what, you'll be fine. But if you're the type that panics at any unexpected menu or pop-up and starts randomly pressing OK, then please DO NOT even try this. You'll just make your dead camera even deader.
Dartmore Dave

OK. Finally got the cable to hook up the k10d to the PK tether program. Cool program! I got the camera into Debug mode with no problem, but after checking each menu twice I never saw the release aging option.

I was able to get the camera to do everything through the program even multiple exposures. I can hear the shutter try to release but never make it happen.

Thank yoiu all for the great advise and instruction. Is there anything else to try? I cant make the K10 any more dead.

I did see a great DYI article on converting DLSRs into lamps. That might be my next project.....
06-09-2017, 01:28 AM   #2813
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by THAN THE SWORD Quote
OK. Finally got the cable to hook up the k10d to the PK tether program. Cool program! I got the camera into Debug mode with no problem, but after checking each menu twice I never saw the release aging option. I was able to get the camera to do everything through the program even multiple exposures. I can hear the shutter try to release but never make it happen. Thank yoiu all for the great advise and instruction. Is there anything else to try? I cant make the K10 any more dead. I did see a great DYI article on converting DLSRs into lamps. That might be my next project.....

Thanks for the update. Pentax must have removed the release aging option somewhere along the line, which is a shame. But I think you've definitely narrowed it down to a mechanical problem with the shutter now, since PK Tether is able to control the electronics properly. Unfortunately, I think at this point a replacement camera is economically your best option. Sorry.

Could you let us know the file number of the last photo you took, to give an idea of how many frames the shutter had taken before it failed? We've had some discussion of the shutter life expectancy here in the K10D Club in the past, but yours is the first actual failure that has been reported.

The good news is that there are still lots of great low mileage K10Ds out there if you decide to go for a like-for-like replacement.

06-09-2017, 05:51 AM   #2814
Pentaxian

Well, at least we've left no stone unturned in trying to keep that K10D alive. If it's any consolation, I actually snagged my used K10D (with battery charger) off of ebay for cheaper than I got my used K110D just 2 or 3 years earlier. Mine isn't particularly low in shutter actuations, but that doesn't mean I will wear it out in my remaining lifetime, especially since I still shoot the K110D part time, and have been shooting a lot more film lately, too.

As for uses for the broken K10D, remember that you can always use it as a spare rear lens cap for a K-mount lens! You never know when you might pick up another lens that doesn't have all of its caps.

QuoteOriginally posted by THAN THE SWORD Quote
Dartmore Dave

OK. Finally got the cable to hook up the k10d to the PK tether program. Cool program! I got the camera into Debug mode with no problem, but after checking each menu twice I never saw the release aging option.

I was able to get the camera to do everything through the program even multiple exposures. I can hear the shutter try to release but never make it happen.

Thank yoiu all for the great advise and instruction. Is there anything else to try? I cant make the K10 any more dead.

I did see a great DYI article on converting DLSRs into lamps. That might be my next project.....
06-09-2017, 10:21 AM - 1 Like   #2815
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wildflowers in the evening - Tokina 28-70:
06-09-2017, 02:57 PM   #2816
Pentaxian

Here's one inspired by Paul's park walks... with the Tokina 24 2.8. By the way Paul - BHPhoto has two used copies of Tokina 24 2.8 lenses, one with Auto and one without A setting, they're 49 dollars each. I think they might fill the gap that your old wide angle Vivitar has left, at least for now.

Here's one more with the Tokina

06-09-2017, 03:25 PM   #2817
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan James Quote
EDIT - By the way when you want to add a new reply with a new heading, why does it just then merge it with your previous reply instead and the separate heading disappears??
There is a switch in your User Control Panel turn that off. But I believe you need to have Pentaxian or Supporting Member status before it is available.

Go to My Account>Edit Options>Thread Display Options>Auto-Merge Double Posts
06-09-2017, 03:27 PM   #2818
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Some more greens... and pink!

Those trees look so nice in bloom.
06-09-2017, 03:57 PM   #2819
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's one inspired by Paul's park walks... with the Tokina 24 2.8. By the way Paul - BHPhoto has two used copies of Tokina 24 2.8 lenses, one with Auto and one without A setting, they're 49 dollars each. I think they might fill the gap that your old wide angle Vivitar has left, at least for now.

I love the selective focus in that second image. Nice bokeh, too.
06-10-2017, 05:14 AM - 2 Likes   #2820

(Takumar 20mm, by the way.)
Dave, I've seen a lot of shots with your Tak 20mm, out of interest how close physically were you to the nearest pony here? I know from using a mere 28mm Tak you have to get fairly close, or at least much closer than I'm used from 50/55s and above.

Lovely flowers in this one Christian...

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
There is a switch in your User Control Panel turn that off. But I believe you need to have Pentaxian or Supporting Member status before it is available.

Go to My Account>Edit Options>Thread Display Options>Auto-Merge Double Posts
Brilliant, I've found it thanks. I had no idea all those options were available! I only asked because a couple of times I've posted to catch up replying to a couple of people, then wanted to do a new reply to ask a specific question, so I've given it a title to make it more clear, and the title has disappeared when I posted and the posts merged. Hopefully this will fix it.

A couple with the K10D and, shockingly, a lens that isn't a Takumar, the 15 blade version Pentacon 135/2.8.