Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2014, 02:02 PM   #271
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Near Vienna, Austria
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 677
QuoteOriginally posted by calicojack Quote
Our next vacation will show the difference between the sensors to me very graphically. There are times that we stand near each other and shoot the same subject usually using the same "Vacation Snaps" type settings (Auto everything)
This will be very interesting. I'm looking forward to the results; however, you will be comparing the jpeg engines and/or auto presets rather than the sensor perfomance.

02-05-2014, 02:11 PM   #272
Inactive Account




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Island, N.Y.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,124
QuoteOriginally posted by wkraus Quote
<snip> you will be comparing the jpeg engines and/or auto presets rather than the sensor perfomance.
Yes, I guess this is true. It won't be until July so I'll try to remember to do a couple raw for comparison also.
02-06-2014, 02:40 AM   #273
Pentaxian
Dartmoor Dave's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Dartmoor, UK
Photos: Albums
Posts: 809
I happened to have both my film K1000 loaded with Velvia 100F and my digital GX-10 (K10D clone) with me at the same time last weekend, so I took the opportunity to take the same shot in both formats. I'll post the results when the film is developed and scanned. They were just quick hand-held shots so it's far from a scientific test, but I'm hoping it will confirm my feeling that the K10D/GX-10 gives very film-like results for a DSLR.
02-06-2014, 03:26 AM   #274
Moderator PEG Judges
Kerrowdown's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Highlands of Scotland.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 31,361
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
More stumbling in the Arizona desert
I could do with some of that sun and heat over here right now, where's that number for DHL?

02-06-2014, 04:36 AM   #275
Junior Member
BobD2's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Maine
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 32
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Many lower light images I have made wind up looking quite odd
I find that to be true also - most of the time it seems there's an odd color cast to images shot at high ISOs, and it's difficult to correct in post processing, even when shooting raw.

I'd forgotten to mention in my post about CCD versus CMOS, that I always shoot raw, and the ability these days to knock out the color noise in post is quick and easy, and with certain cameras and sensors, the noise still there often looks very much like a film grain. And that's another area where I feel CCD work out a bit better - but it's tough to pin down exactly, so I can't say for sure that you can't get that result from a CMOS sensor as well.
02-06-2014, 04:39 AM   #276
Junior Member
BobD2's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Maine
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 32
QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
I happened to have both my film K1000 loaded with Velvia 100F and my digital GX-10 (K10D clone) with me at the same time last weekend
Great - looking forward to seeing the comparison (I live for that type of thing).
02-06-2014, 05:00 AM   #277
Senior Member
Oldhand's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Mid North Coast NSW Australia
Posts: 176
K-10D and Komura 75-150mm f4.5

An oldie but a goodie and goes so well with the K-10D.
Both images shot @ 1/45 sec and wide open.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
02-06-2014, 07:51 AM   #278
Moderator
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,463
QuoteOriginally posted by BobD2 Quote
I'd forgotten to mention in my post about CCD versus CMOS, that I always shoot raw, and the ability these days to knock out the color noise in post is quick and easy, and with certain cameras and sensors, the noise still there often looks very much like a film grain.
Me too. From the very first digital images I made with my *stDL I have shot exclusively PNG and DNG. When I have photos that I wish to use I pull the JPEG from the RAW file and go on from there.

I've tried to use TIFF, but for some odd reason the files get wonky on me.

So I just use JPEG and bump the quality all the way to the top.

02-06-2014, 07:51 AM   #279
Moderator
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,463
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
I could do with some of that sun and heat over here right now, where's that number for DHL?
I could drop some in an envelope and mail it to you!
02-06-2014, 07:52 AM   #280
Moderator
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,463
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldhand Quote
An oldie but a goodie and goes so well with the K-10D.
Both images shot @ 1/45 sec and wide open.
Nice shots Thomas. So those birds are wild? It must be nice to have such colorful birds like that on your feeders.
02-06-2014, 07:56 AM   #281
Moderator PEG Judges
Kerrowdown's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Highlands of Scotland.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 31,361
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I could drop some in an envelope and mail it to you
Could you make that a reasonably sized box, so I can spread it around a bit here and share with other folk?
02-06-2014, 08:01 AM   #282
Moderator
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,463
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Could you make that a reasonably sized box, so I can spread it around a bit here and share with other folk?
I would, but don't want to risk upsetting the delicate balance of the Scottish ecosystem.

02-06-2014, 08:04 AM   #283
Moderator PEG Judges
Kerrowdown's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Highlands of Scotland.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 31,361
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
but don't want to risk upsetting the delicate balance of the Scottish ecosystem
Don't worry I'll take sole responsibility on that.

I voted for global warming, oops not very PC I know, but you've probably guessed that about me already.
02-06-2014, 08:16 AM   #284
Moderator
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,463
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Don't worry I'll take sole responsibility on that.

I voted for global warming, oops not very PC I know, but you've probably guessed that about me already.
Global warming?

Does it look like I'm doing my part?



02-06-2014, 01:58 PM   #285
Senior Member
Oldhand's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Mid North Coast NSW Australia
Posts: 176
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Nice shots Thomas. So those birds are wild? It must be nice to have such colorful birds like that on your feeders.
Thank you.
Yes these are King Parrots. The male is more brightly coloured as you would expect.
We are lucky here in Australia to have so many beautiful birds.
OH
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
allen, bird, camera, cameras, clicks, comparison, da, dslr, ff, flickr, images, k10d, k5, k5iis, leica, lens, nikon, pentax, photography, pictures, post, price, prix, ray, skin tones, time, version
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I started a K-5 Praise thread, now the Complaint thread imtheguy Pentax K-5 46 11-01-2010 09:20 AM
Suggestion Add Previous/Next Thread links at the top of each thread indytax Site Suggestions and Help 3 03-17-2009 05:40 PM
Iceemn360's K10d Photo Thread iceemn360 Post Your Photos! 50 01-10-2009 02:43 PM
Mandatory thread from new K10D owner :) Edvinas Pentax DSLR Discussion 9 12-08-2006 07:34 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:29 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top