Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12492 Likes Search this Thread
06-16-2017, 07:38 AM - 1 Like   #2866
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
I think $5 lenses are always worth a try -- and you seem to have found ones that can take a good picture! -- but, I must admit, lenses that cheap don't always compare favorably with my $20 wonders.
The worst that can happen is one ends up with a set of lens elements to use for showing the grandkids the wonders of science by frying ants on a hot summer day.

cheesy

06-16-2017, 08:02 AM - 1 Like   #2867
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
The worst that can happen is one ends up with a set of lens elements to use for showing the grandkids the wonders of science by frying ants on a hot summer day.

:cheesy:
They can make good (d)slr body caps, too! Those can cost more than $5 used on ebay.
06-16-2017, 08:54 AM   #2868
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
Ah, that's a beautiful photo. Like a scene from Don Quixote.

Say hi to Commack for me. I grew up in Kings Park, and spent many a happy hour in the early 1980s watching movies at the Commack Multiplex. Does that even exist anymore?
Thanks for the comment.

Unfortunately, the Commack Multiplex is no more. It closed down in 2011 and the site is now a Lowe's. We also spent a lot of time there between when we moved in and they closed up shop.
06-16-2017, 08:56 AM - 2 Likes   #2869
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thanks Subsea. Sad to hear that the old Commack Multibox is gone. Lots of happy memories though.

On the subject of cheap old lenses: If I see one for £5 or less and there's any conceivable way of jamming it on a K Mount, I'll hand over the cash without hesitating. Here's a very quick roadside snapshot from just this afternoon with a £4.99 M42 Chinon 35mm/2.8 that I picked up in a charity shop earlier this week. It's got sticky aperture blades and some haze and fungus, but even completely uncleaned it seems to be an entirely adequate old lens.

Last edited by Dartmoor Dave; 06-16-2017 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Added thanks to Subsea
06-16-2017, 10:16 AM - 1 Like   #2870
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

entirely adequate
Indeed! What a nice photo.

My latest bargain lens is a $15 Tokina AF 28-70 zoom. It's a big chunk of glass and metal, but I'm happy with it so far.
iso 280 on the K10D (slight crop)
06-16-2017, 12:10 PM - 1 Like   #2871
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
My latest bargain lens is a $15 Tokina AF 28-70 zoom. It's a big chunk of glass and metal, but I'm happy with it so far.

Lovely rich colours from that Tokina. Looks like a keeper.

And by the way, Paul: I've had to stop looking at your 6 Megapixel thread because I can't stand the torture anymore. First you made me go back and look at my old K100D photos and long for some more of that intense 6MP colour rendering, and each day since then I've come within a whisker of ordering a replacement for that dead camera. At the moment I'm not sure if my willpower is going to get me through the weekend, so for now I'm just going to try to pretend that your thread doesn't exist.
06-16-2017, 03:33 PM   #2872
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Because truly, as much as I'd like the Takumar 35 3.5 and 50 1.4 that I've been looking at, I don't really *need* them...
>> "I don't really *need* them"

Since when has that ever been an excuse??

---------- Post added 17-06-17 at 08:38 AM ----------

And by the way, Paul: I've had to stop looking at your 6 Megapixel thread because I can't stand the torture anymore. First you made me go back and look at my old K100D photos and long for some more of that intense 6MP colour rendering, and each day since then I've come within a whisker of ordering a replacement for that dead camera. At the moment I'm not sure if my willpower is going to get me through the weekend, so for now I'm just going to try to pretend that your thread doesn't exist.
Resistance is futile. Just give in and get it over with.

06-16-2017, 10:12 PM - 1 Like   #2873
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
>> "I don't really *need* them" Since when has that ever been an excuse??
Resistance is futile. Just give in and get it over with.
Words of wisdom from Ray.
06-17-2017, 12:20 AM   #2874

On the subject of cheap old lenses: If I see one for £5 or less and there's any conceivable way of jamming it on a K Mount, I'll hand over the cash without hesitating. Here's a very quick roadside snapshot from just this afternoon with a £4.99 M42 Chinon 35mm/2.8 that I picked up in a charity shop earlier this week. It's got sticky aperture blades and some haze and fungus, but even completely uncleaned it seems to be an entirely adequate old lens.

I have an occasional series on my blog called "The £5 Cheap Lens Challenge" just for this purpose. The last was a Super Paragon 300/5.6 M42 with a ton of haze and fungus that I paid £1 for. Still managed to get something half decent from it!

Indeed! What a nice photo.

iso 280 on the K10D (slight crop)
Is the Tokina PK or M42?

Paul, a bit off topic, what does the Otis squirrel badge on your posts mean?

Dave, this won't help, but since I got a Samsung GX-1S (Pentax *ist DS2 clone I think) a couple of weeks back I've barely touched my K10D. It is simpler and lacks a couple of things (for example no green button so it can't use K mount K or M series, only A and newer and of course M42) but the VF is the same as the K10D (I've swapped in the diagonal split screen I have for my K10D whilst I have another on its way from Japan, and the OME53 eyecup magnifier so it's easy to focus with Taks etc) and it has the essentials I need - Av, exposure comp, exposure lock, histogram and blinkies - plus going back to the K10D I've realised how much lighter and smaller the Samsung is, especially after an hour or so of shooting. The handling of the K10D is the best I've experienced in any camera - film or digital - but it is heavy and tiring after a while. With a small lens like the Tak 28/3.5 of Auto-Tak 35/3.5 (or even the 55/1.8 or 55/2) it's a very compact combo, or with a long tele it's more manageable than the K10D with the same.

The final images with my Takumars I can't tell any difference with compared with the K10D, to be honest, aside from the actual full size being smaller of course as its 6MP not 10. But unless you're making huge prints I don't think this is an issue.

Anyway, whilst I still plan to use and enjoy the amazing K10D, most of the time now I see myself picking up the Samsung because of the reasons mentioned above.

A couple of things to note, if you're not aware of. It takes AA batteries, and there's a limit on the SD card you can use. I have the original firmware and a 2MP card is fine, which allows about 200 images shooting RAW - fine for any photowalk for me. I think a 4MP might work, I haven't tried. My 16MP card from the K10D doesn't work, so there is a limit somewhere between 2MP and 8MP! Worst case if you shoot hundreds of photographs at a time is you carry a couple of extra 2MP cards.

I can highly recommend the GX-1S and assume its Pentax equivalent(s) is the same. I went for this as it has the same 95% 0.95 VF as the K10D - not all the 6MP cameras have this so if it's important to you make sure you get one that does. You know of course from the K10D that the VF is really good for a DSLR.

We'll see you in the Six MegaPixel Club soon...
06-17-2017, 01:07 AM - 1 Like   #2875
J8B

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
As Ray said, impressive! What software do you use for focus stacking? That is one area where I would love to do some work.
Thanks. I used Picolay, which is a free tool. It's the first time I have tried focus stacking, but it seemed to work ok. I don't have Photoshop so I searched for free stacking software. Picolay was the first I tried.

---------- Post added 06-17-17 at 05:41 PM ----------

Excellent focus stack. Impressive.
Thanks.

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Now I'm hungry.
That was the aim!
06-17-2017, 02:44 AM   #2876
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan James Quote
I got a Samsung GX-1S (Pentax *ist DS2 clone I think). . . It is simpler and lacks a couple of things (for example no green button so it can't use K mount K or M series, only A and newer and of course M42) but the VF is the same as the K10D

I might be wrong about this, but I'm fairly sure that on all the 6MP cameras the AV button next to the On/Off switch is the equivalent of the Green Button. It certainly worked that way on my old K100D. With an M or K lens in M mode, pressing the AV button would momentarily stop the lens down to meter and set an auto shutter speed. And with an M42 in M mode, the AV button would set a shutter speed the same way that the Green Button does on the later cameras. I can't remember if I had to change a menu setting to get that functionality, but hopefully Paul can confirm since he definitely uses Takumars with his *ist.

Could you post a link to your blog, Dan? I'd love to have a look.
06-17-2017, 08:38 AM   #2877
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I might be wrong about this, but I'm fairly sure that on all the 6MP cameras the AV button next to the On/Off switch is the equivalent of the Green Button. It certainly worked that way on my old K100D. With an M or K lens in M mode, pressing the AV button would momentarily stop the lens down to meter and set an auto shutter speed. And with an M42 in M mode, the AV button would set a shutter speed the same way that the Green Button does on the later cameras. I can't remember if I had to change a menu setting to get that functionality, but hopefully Paul can confirm since he definitely uses Takumars with his *ist.

Well, on the K100D and my niece's DL, you can shoot in M mode using the AE-L button as the "green button". In the menu, you need to assign it as such. I used "program line" or "Tv shift" for that setting. Of course, you need to enable use of the aperture ring as well.

Dan, the Tokina is an autofocus lens with an aperture ring with the A setting. Please do post a link to your blog, too!

Last edited by paulh; 06-17-2017 at 08:48 AM.
06-17-2017, 09:00 AM   #2878
Pentaxian

Well, on the K100D and my niece's DL, you can shoot in M mode using the AE-L button as the "green button". In the menu, you need to assign it as such. I used "program line" or "Tv shift" for that setting. Of course, you need to enable use of the aperture ring as well.

Thanks Paul. Looks like faulty memory on my part.
06-17-2017, 09:39 AM   #2879
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan James Quote
Paul, a bit off topic, what does the Otis squirrel badge on your posts mean?
I'll direct you to this thread: Otis Wants You! - PentaxForums.com
06-17-2017, 10:30 AM   #2880
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
You might have a look at his profile Dave.