Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2013, 03:24 PM   #16
Pentaxian

A great camera it remains. I will never sell mine, and I'm actually tempted to pick up a second body for when one eventually fails. I've taken to always keeping the K10 in the car, with a k series manual lens on it. I don't care what technical denials are made, I remain convinced that the CCD sensor has a character all of its own.

Anyway , a recent shot or two:

Last edited by saladin; 11-19-2013 at 03:31 PM.
11-19-2013, 03:30 PM - 2 Likes   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for starting this club. A great idea.
I have been a Pentax user since 1975 (SP1000 & Spotmatic SP) and the K10D was my first K-mount. I had been waiting for Pentax to produce a camera that met the specs I was waiting for. The K10D was that camera. I bought one and I have never looked back.
When you learn how to get the best out of it, it produces fine images. Sure, I would like a K-5iiS or a K-3 but, as a retired person, I find it hard to justify upgrading while my K10D is working as well as it is.
Fortunately, the 18-55mm kit lens is regarded as one of the best and that is good because I have taken most of my images with it. The zoom range just suits me. I have upgraded to the WR version.
Here are a few of my images to showcase what the K10D can do:

There are plenty more on Flickr.
11-19-2013, 03:33 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by grog85361 Quote
I got my K10D in early 2008, upgrading from an istDL. What an awesome camera, I still use it. With a Sigma 18-50 f2.8, it's big, heavy and sharp as a tack! Here is an obligatory cat picture:
Good looking kitty shot!

@rayallen - great stuff! All taken with the 18-55?

Here's one from around last Christmas, using an SMC A35/2.8

Last edited by paulh; 11-19-2013 at 07:03 PM. Reason: added note
11-19-2013, 08:39 PM - 1 Like   #19
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Hello All,
This thread is dedicated to a very important part of the Pentax DSLR history; The venerable K10D.
The 'Ten' is significant in many ways; Introduced in late 2006, it featured a CCD sensor of 10.2MP, ISO range of 100-1600 and had AF assist with SDM lenses. It was the first Pentax DSLR with shake reduction, dust removal, had 2 control wheels and used a D-L150 lithium battery rather than 4 x AA's. These were all upgrades from the previous flagship model, the *ist DS2. It came in a sturdy, somewhat squared-off body design that contrasted with the popular curved designs of the time. There was an optional BG2 battery grip available which doubled the shooting time, had a vertical-position shutter release and duplicated the main exposure controls and wheels in portrait orientation.
The K10D garnered great reviews from many testers and won several major awards, including the 'Best Expert Digital SLR' 2007 from TIPA, European Camera Of The Year, American Photo's Editor's Choice for 'Best Advanced Digital SLR' and the prestigious Camera Grand Prix 'Camera Of The Year' 2007. This award resulted in a limited edition brown 'Grand Prix' version by Pentax, released in 2007.
It was succeeded by the K20D in 2008.
The MSRP for the K10D at launch was $1,379 US and the 'street' price around $900 - $1,000. The kit lens offered was the first version of the DA 18-55mm.
In features, MP and price, it compared to the Sony a100, Nikon D80, Canon Rebel XTi and Olympus E400. But the performance soon had it being tested (favorably!) against higher-priced models of the competition, like the Nikon D200 and Canon EOS 30D.
By modern standards, the specs are quite modest. AF sensitivity -1 to 18 EV, shutter speed 30s to 1/4000s, burst shooting rate 3 fps in jpeg, no HDR, no LV, no video capabilities, no lens correction, no TTL. The high-ISO performance is lacking, compared to the contemporary cameras.
Still, over time the respect for this fine digital body has grown widely. Used within its limitations, the CCD sensor delivers RAW images that are truly magical and if the ISO is kept at the lower end, the colors, saturation and rendering are unmatched for beauty. It can be, under ideal conditions, more film-like in rendering than most CMOS-equipped cameras, even the most modern ones.
Hopefully this thread will provide a place for K10D users to discuss their experiences, and post examples of photos taken with the Ten.
The K10D lives on!
Ron
Ron, you're my Hero!

I jumped to the K10 not long after entering the DSLR arena, and still use mine everyday. I think that the shutter count is still under 8,000, but think I've finally figured out how to use the thing.

Thank you for starting this club!

You rock!

11-19-2013, 08:44 PM   #20
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by grog85361 Quote
I got my K10D in early 2008, upgrading from an istDL. What an awesome camera, I still use it. With a Sigma 18-50 f2.8, it's big, heavy and sharp as a tack! Here is an obligatory cat picture:
The *istDL was my first DSLR too, and the K10 my second and current "daily shooter". I still have the DL, and the AA batteries was the reason I bought it. At the time I was still skeptical about the proprietary batteries that so many consumer electronics have, how they seem to lose the ability to hold a useable charge early, and then become difficult and expensive to find.

So far I am still using the original 2 batteries that came with my K10.

The NiMh AA's that I got with the DL long ago lost the ability to keep a decent charge.

Oh, and great picture of the cat!
11-19-2013, 08:52 PM - 1 Like   #21
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Good looking kitty shot!

Here's one from around last Christmas, using an SMC A35/2.8

Christmas? Where is the snow?

Here is a Christmas shot from my K10:

On the river where my house is, on Christmas day, 2008.
11-19-2013, 09:01 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I still have my k10d as my backup and my 2nd shooter at weddings and I want to say that I do still get great images out of this camera. I also use a k5 and I use the slow glass on that and the fast on the k10. But I would say the ccd sensor gives better color I just wish it had a better ISO range.

11-19-2013, 09:22 PM - 1 Like   #23

Bought my K-10D from a pawn shop so I could use my M42 lenses.
Best thing I have done in a long time.
Here with a Sears 50mm f2 lens:
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
11-19-2013, 09:36 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Awesome shots with the Sears. This thread is gonna really take off imo. Heaps of K10 devotees it seems
11-19-2013, 10:07 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Yes, they were.
11-19-2013, 10:13 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldhand Quote
Bought my K-10D from a pawn shop so I could use my M42 lenses.
Best thing I have done in a long time.
Here with a Sears 50mm f2 lens:
Very nice auto shots. I like the colour rendition in this one taken with an SMC Takumar f1.8 55mm:

11-19-2013, 10:19 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lguckert79 Quote
But I would say the ccd sensor gives better color I just wish it had a better ISO range.
I have never used a CMOS sensor and I would like to try one. But I keep seeing statements like that and I don't feel so bad about having a CCD. I have to agree about the ISO range. That is why I use 100 ISO unless I really have to go higher.
11-20-2013, 12:32 AM - 1 Like   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
I have never used a CMOS sensor and I would like to try one. But I keep seeing statements like that and I don't feel so bad about having a CCD. I have to agree about the ISO range. That is why I use 100 ISO unless I really have to go higher.
ISO is the Achilles heel of the K-10D.
Up to 400 it is OK, but from then on NOISE is very troublesome.
So we shoot within its limitations and enjoy the experience. If we want ISO 3200, and higher, we use another platform or reach for a very fast lens on the K-10D
OH
11-20-2013, 02:16 AM - 1 Like   #29

Pentax K-10D and Carl Zeiss Jenna Biometar 80mm f2.8
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
11-20-2013, 03:25 AM - 2 Likes   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What everyone is trying to say with all this is... that since 2006 when these things were released, not much really has changed in terms of image quality. :P We all carry on and get excited about trinkets and toys, but if we are honest, the amount of toys a camera had since 2006, is really more then enough for satisfying photography :P

I was actually looking at buying a 6mp Nikon, i stumbled upon my k10 second hand with 3 batteries and a kats screen installed, for about the same coin those nikons were going for at the time. Sh1t I've had this for nearly 4years now. hahah Like everyone here, I too had a pentax film body and a few lenses already, I was over the moon, correction Im Still...

We'll put it this way. When it dies, I'll shop around for something new. I've watched the Kx's come out, the k5's the K30's the K50's and now the K3's and nope. This K10 is still humming along.. Maybe this is what's wrong with Pentax's product strategy

As for all yee knocking iso performance. just dont zoom in hahaha :P

But seriously. at decent print sizes. is iso1600 is not a dirty word. Don't think of iso as noise, but think of iso as width of stops. Ie. iso100 good for about 13stops of dynamic range. iso200, 12, iso400 11, iso800 10 iso 1600 still pretty much 10 stops. :P Its handy when you want to piss the detail out of shadows, :P

*hugs his k10d*