Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2017, 12:57 PM   #3271
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bhuey55 Quote
K10D w/M50 f1.7
Nice shots! One of my favorite camera + lens combinations.

11-06-2017, 04:56 AM   #3272
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Another 18-55 shot from Mom's backyard:
That's a great shot, Paul - I love the composition, depth of field, colours and the detail in those scarlet leaves. Nice
11-06-2017, 09:09 AM - 2 Likes   #3273
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
That's a great shot, Paul - I love the composition, depth of field, colours and the detail in those scarlet leaves. Nice
Thanks Mike. Those scarlet leaves are bougainvillea, which seems to be taking over Mom's backyard!

Here's a few more photos from the Commemorative Air Force museum visit last month. All with the K10D + DA18-55:

Inside the C-46F Commando. The plane is not flyable at the moment:

Looking out the side window at the CAF's newly-acquired C-47 and other planes:

From inside the mostly empty hangar. Most of their planes were performing at a show in Dallas that weekend.
11-07-2017, 03:48 AM - 6 Likes   #3274
Pentaxian

On top of Great Staple Tor with the Takumar 17mm Fisheye. Now that I've finally got the 17mm I'm planning to do more photos of the Dartmoor tors. (The lens flare is intentional.)

11-07-2017, 05:49 AM   #3275
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
On top of Great Staple Tor with the Takumar 17mm Fisheye. Now that I've finally got the 17mm I'm planning to do more photos of the Dartmoor tors. (The lens flare is intentional.)
Beautiful, Dave. Great composition and the lighting is gorgeous. I love the flare
11-07-2017, 08:15 AM   #3276
Pentaxian

Beautiful light, and the rendering that a modern lens couldn't give. Though I have to ask, there is definitely a softness to it, was that added in post, or is that a slight motion blur? It shouldn't be since it's 17mm and the shutter speed was 1/30s... so I'm thinking it was intentional? It's just a technical question, as I think it actually adds to the soft light in the picture and looks very good
11-07-2017, 08:38 AM   #3277
Pentaxian

Thanks Mike and Christian.

Christian, well spotted about the softness. I think it's a veiling effect caused by the sunlight scattering across the front element. I did very slightly blur the edges of the rock stacks, and I think that's probably emphasised by the reduction to web size. It's a side-effect of the Dartmoor granite that when in high contrast against the sky it causes a look like a badly over-sharpened photo. It's an effect that you can see even with the naked eye, and it forces me to quite often apply a touch of Gaussian blur to the edges of rocks. In this shot there are also a couple of places on the foreground rock stack where the natural shadows make it look like it was incompetently Photoshopped. It's kinda frustrating when Mother Nature adds things to a photo that makes it look like you goofed up.
11-07-2017, 09:30 AM - 1 Like   #3278
Pentaxian

Thanks Mike and Christian.

Christian, well spotted about the softness. I think it's a veiling effect caused by the sunlight scattering across the front element. I did very slightly blur the edges of the rock stacks, and I think that's probably emphasised by the reduction to web size.
Yes, I went to the flickr page for the picture to see it in higher magnification and saw that the problem isn't really softness or it being out of focus. Just a delightful softness that looks quite natural... if not somewhat eerie

QuoteQuote:
It's a side-effect of the Dartmoor granite that when in high contrast against the sky it causes a look like a badly over-sharpened photo.
Hmmm I can't say I've seen that!

QuoteQuote:
It's an effect that you can see even with the naked eye, and it forces me to quite often apply a touch of Gaussian blur to the edges of rocks. In this shot there are also a couple of places on the foreground rock stack where the natural shadows make it look like it was incompetently Photoshopped. It's kinda frustrating when Mother Nature adds things to a photo that makes it look like you goofed up.
Honestly, I'm not seeing what you are complaining about. It looks perfectly natural to me, you might be over-thinking this

I bet this would look lovely as a large print.

11-07-2017, 09:31 AM   #3279
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by niceshot Quote
Nice Job, l like it
Thanks
11-07-2017, 09:49 AM - 1 Like   #3280
Pentaxian

I thought the "softness" was from me getting misty eyed with nostalgia while looking at the picture.

11-07-2017, 10:05 AM   #3281
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Honestly, I'm not seeing what you are complaining about. It looks perfectly natural to me, you might be over-thinking this I bet this would look lovely as a large print.
I'm inclined to agree!
11-07-2017, 10:18 AM - 2 Likes   #3282
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Honestly, I'm not seeing what you are complaining about. It looks perfectly natural to me, you might be over-thinking this I bet this would look lovely as a large print.

Oh yes, anyone who knows me in the real world would chuckle with recognition at that one. I'm notorious for overthinking things to the point of total brain lock.
11-08-2017, 07:26 AM   #3283
Pentaxian

Oh yes, anyone who knows me in the real world would chuckle with recognition at that one. I'm notorious for overthinking things to the point of total brain lock.
Time to spend more time with the ponies, perhaps.
11-08-2017, 11:41 AM - 1 Like   #3284
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

From mom's backyard again - K10D with DAL55-300:
11-08-2017, 05:44 PM   #3285
Pentaxian

Auto Sears MC f2.8 28mm + K10D