Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2017, 02:43 PM   #3316
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
I've had an unloved and unwanted old Miranda 70-210mm zoom lying around
Great work Dave - amazingly nice shots from your cobbled-together lens! Reminds me a bit of output from the Industar 50-2. Bravo!

11-24-2017, 09:46 AM   #3317
Pentaxian

I have an SMC-A 70-210mm f4 that I got with a K1000 a long time ago. It's broken into two pieces. I have been meaning to give it to someone for parts but right now it's just a conversation piece on my work's shelf...

..so I'm thinking I should try to do something with it and shoot some pictures like Dave did

The problem is that I have a working SMC-A 70-210mm f4 so it never occurred to me to actually shoot with that broken one...

Good job Dave
11-24-2017, 11:02 AM - 6 Likes   #3318
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I have an SMC-A 70-210mm f4 that I got with a K1000 a long time ago. It's broken into two pieces. I have been meaning to give it to someone for parts but right now it's just a conversation piece on my work's shelf... ..so I'm thinking I should try to do something with it and shoot some pictures like Dave did The problem is that I have a working SMC-A 70-210mm f4 so it never occurred to me to actually shoot with that broken one...

Go for it! I bet there's all kinds of fun stuff you could do with the elements out of that lens.

So now for Part 2 of the Miranda 70-210mm lens element rearranging fiasco. I made a bit more progress with getting the middle group of elements reorganised to work as an ultra-wide, although as you can see from these test shots there's still some way to go. I had to crop these, because they were nowhere near to filling the frame, but I actually quite like the circular effect. The scenes are actually much wider angle than they look, because somehow this contraption makes ultra-wide look not that wide at all.

11-24-2017, 11:57 AM   #3319
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Go for it! I bet there's all kinds of fun stuff you could do with the elements out of that lens.

So now for Part 2 of the Miranda 70-210mm lens element rearranging fiasco. I made a bit more progress with getting the middle group of elements reorganised to work as an ultra-wide, although as you can see from these test shots there's still some way to go. I had to crop these, because they were nowhere near to filling the frame, but I actually quite like the circular effect. The scenes are actually much wider angle than they look, because somehow this contraption makes ultra-wide look not that wide at all.

Wow. Impressive, Dave!

11-25-2017, 02:34 AM   #3320
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I love those! Besides any experiment that passes the Pony Test is a success!
11-25-2017, 09:30 AM - 4 Likes   #3321
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
I love those! Besides any experiment that passes the Pony Test is a success!
Cool shots Dave! I wish we had a few of those ponies roaming around down here - I may have to invest in a couple of the inflatable ones .

A few more from the CAF hangar at Camarillo, CA - K10D with DA18-55:
RAF Spitfire undergoing restoration. Can't wait to see this one when its finished!

Five-bladed prop:

They also have a flying Mitsubishi Zero in there:
11-25-2017, 02:52 PM   #3322
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I feel that you are having too much fun with this experimentation, Dave. I can see the wide angle effect that you are getting but the black circle frame tends to reduce it a bit so that it is not as noticeable as it might be in a 3:2 landscape image. Keep them coming, Dave, as it makes for interesting viewing and interesting reading.

11-25-2017, 04:13 PM   #3323
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
I feel that you are having too much fun with this experimentation, Dave. I can see the wide angle effect that you are getting but the black circle frame tends to reduce it a bit so that it is not as noticeable as it might be in a 3:2 landscape image. Keep them coming, Dave, as it makes for interesting viewing and interesting reading.

Your wish is my command, Ray. I think I can get rid of the circular effect by reversing a couple of elements and using the bits taken from the old zoom as a screw-on supplementary lens to attach to maybe a 35mm or 55mm. I'm not sure how much of a wide angle effect will be left, but I'm willing to give it a try. I've just bodged the bits together with a de-glassed 49mm UV filter ring, some old M42 extension tubes, and some superglue. But since it's past 11pm on Saturday night here as I type this, and I'm several glasses into a very pleasant bottle of Aussie merlot, it'll have to wait until tomorrow to see if it works.

In the meantime, let's all enjoy Paul's photographs of the Spitfire. That Merlin engine is a thing of beauty in itself.
11-26-2017, 12:59 AM   #3324
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

But since it's past 11pm on Saturday night here as I type this, and I'm several glasses into a very pleasant bottle of Aussie merlot, it'll have to wait until tomorrow to see if it works.

In the meantime, let's all enjoy Paul's photographs of the Spitfire. That Merlin engine is a thing of beauty in itself.
Drinking Aussie merlot late on a Saturday evening! You really know how to live, my friend. And thank you for supporting our wine industry. I am also a supporter.

Yes, I have been enjoying Paul's plane photographs. I have told him that I would love to hear that engine when they fire it up.
11-26-2017, 04:35 AM   #3325
Pentaxian

I think I can get rid of the circular effect by reversing a couple of elements and using the bits taken from the old zoom as a screw-on supplementary lens to attach to maybe a 35mm or 55mm.

Oh well, that idea didn't really work out. Turns out that to fill the frame as a supplementary lens it needs to go on something like my SMC Takumar 105mm/2.8, and to get anything beyond about 6 feet in focus I'd have to adjust the Takumar to focus slightly beyond infinity, which I don't want to do. Especially since my guess is that the end result would only be something with about the same field of view as a poor quality 28mm.

So I think I'm going to call time on this particular round of experimentation. Thanks to everyone for the comments and likes. I definitely feel like I've got my money's worth out of the £5 that I paid for the zoom.
11-26-2017, 01:58 PM - 1 Like   #3326
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
Drinking Aussie merlot late on a Saturday evening! You really know how to live, my friend. And thank you for supporting our wine industry. I am also a supporter.

Yes, I have been enjoying Paul's plane photographs. I have told him that I would love to hear that engine when they fire it up.
I'm doing my bit too this evening, Ray, with a nice S.E. Aussie Shiraz... Sunday nights always used to be alcohol free, but no worries about getting up for work tomorrow

Agreed. Great photos, great machinery. What's not to love?
11-27-2017, 03:08 PM   #3327

just ab aside -
Here , in Biggin Hill valley we are buzzed by a pair of Spitfires almost every day .
Twin seaters for a once in a lifetime 20mins trip .
Too far away for a good shot , but can't resist that sound running to the window .
dee
11-27-2017, 03:23 PM   #3328
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by deeslexia Quote
we are buzzed by a pair of Spitfires almost every day .
I'm jealous.
11-28-2017, 11:23 AM - 2 Likes   #3329
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know I've posted photos from this location before - I just hope they weren't *these* photos! (apologies if they were!)
Taken in September - K10D with DA18-55:

11-29-2017, 12:32 AM - 3 Likes   #3330
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Kookaburra. Pentax K10D, Tamron AF 70-300mm F4-5.6 Tele-Macro 1:2 LD Di A17.

The kookaburra (aka laughing kookaburra) is a member of the kingfisher family and is one of my favourite birds. There are a few of them in the area where I live and I am often woken by them around dawn as they advise other birds that this is their territory. It is a wonderful sound to be woken up by. If you have never heard the sound a kookaburra makes, have a listen to this: