Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12503 Likes Search this Thread
01-11-2018, 02:30 AM - 1 Like   #3391
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by subsea Quote
Another thought: if I remember correctly, the K10D was limited in terms of the maximum capacity of the SD card it could read. I think it was different for different firmware versions. The maximum might have been 8GB, but I can’t remember for sure. I could be wrong, but that should be checked.

That's a good point, and I'd be interested to hear about other people's experiences with higher capacity cards. The manual only refers to cards from 128MB to 4GB, and none of the different firmware updates mentions any higher capacity. The version 1.31 update says: "Improved stability of recording image for some SDHC Memory card." But it doesn't state which sized card.

A couple of months ago the 4GB card that I had been using died, and I replaced it with a new Sandisk 16GB card. It formatted okay and worked for a couple of shots, then threw a "card read failure" error, leaving me with a useless camera for the rest of the afternoon. The same thing happened with two identical brand new 16GB cards, so it was obviously a basic compatibility problem. Which is kinda frustrating when a camera capable of SDHC should be able to use cards up to 32GB.

I've concluded (speculatively) that the camera can't address more than 4GB for some reason, so in the future I'll be sticking to that size. But the problem is that new 4GB cards are getting hard to find. It breaks my heart to think that someday I'll have to stop using the camera because I just can't get a small enough card for it anymore. In fact, I'm glad that this subject came up because I think it's time to stockpile some 4GB cards right now.

EDIT:
Thinking back over this post, my mind is boggling at the craziness of 4GB of memory the size of a postage stamp being obsolete. My first ever hard disk was 10 MEGABYTES and cost a fortune, and I'm old enough to remember 128 KILOBYTE 8 inch single-sided floppies that we used in our Xenix minicomputer at work once upon a time. I bet there are other K10D Club members who go back to the days of punched cards.

Last edited by Dartmoor Dave; 01-11-2018 at 02:55 AM.
01-11-2018, 07:12 AM - 1 Like   #3392

Hi all, Just thought I would add my own experience into the mix - I have been using 16gb Sandisk Extreme (class10) cards in both of my Samsung GX10's for about 2 years now with no issues.
Both cameras are running the last firmware update and I always format 'in-camera'.
I remove the card to offload my shots to the PC and then reinstall the card in the camera and delete them from there.
So far (touch wood) I have never had a problem and have been pondering a 32GB card - but have so far not tried it.
Cheers.
01-11-2018, 08:12 AM - 1 Like   #3393
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
That's a good point, and I'd be interested to hear about other people's experiences with higher capacity cards. The manual only refers to cards from 128MB to 4GB, and none of the different firmware updates mentions any higher capacity. The version 1.31 update says: "Improved stability of recording image for some SDHC Memory card." But it doesn't state which sized card.

A couple of months ago the 4GB card that I had been using died, and I replaced it with a new Sandisk 16GB card. It formatted okay and worked for a couple of shots, then threw a "card read failure" error, leaving me with a useless camera for the rest of the afternoon. The same thing happened with two identical brand new 16GB cards, so it was obviously a basic compatibility problem. Which is kinda frustrating when a camera capable of SDHC should be able to use cards up to 32GB.

I've concluded (speculatively) that the camera can't address more than 4GB for some reason, so in the future I'll be sticking to that size. But the problem is that new 4GB cards are getting hard to find. It breaks my heart to think that someday I'll have to stop using the camera because I just can't get a small enough card for it anymore. In fact, I'm glad that this subject came up because I think it's time to stockpile some 4GB cards right now.

EDIT:
Thinking back over this post, my mind is boggling at the craziness of 4GB of memory the size of a postage stamp being obsolete. My first ever hard disk was 10 MEGABYTES and cost a fortune, and I'm old enough to remember 128 KILOBYTE 8 inch single-sided floppies that we used in our Xenix minicomputer at work once upon a time. I bet there are other K10D Club members who go back to the days of punched cards.
I'm one of those who originally worked with punch cards. I can remember the terror involved with dropping boxes of cards and trying to put them back in order. My first "time-share" computer account came with 256 kilobytes of memory. Even 4GB on a SD card is heaven compared to that!
01-11-2018, 09:42 AM - 1 Like   #3394
Forum Member

I have been using 16GB Transend class 10 (45 MB 300x) card purchased in Hong Kong 3 years ago in my K10d. Firmware 1.31. Never any problem. This last FW updates a number of years ago was the key.... (support and less problems with the SDHC standard - up to 32 GB )

At the same time; for FW updates I think 4 GB is max. Because of that you should keep a few of the good old 2-4 GB's...

Last edited by Dabola; 01-11-2018 at 03:57 PM.
01-11-2018, 09:50 AM - 1 Like   #3395
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Running firmware v. 1.30 here, and no problems with 16 gb cards. I'm currently using generic Walgreens/Boots branded ones without issue.

A couple shots from around the lake a week or so before Christmas, using the F35-80 zoom:

01-11-2018, 09:57 AM   #3396
Pentaxian

Well now I'm getting confused. Everyone else is using 16GB cards with no problem, but they just won't work for me. . . (walks away grumbling irritably). . .

I'll try updating to the final firmware. Turns out I'm only on 1.30.
01-11-2018, 02:16 PM   #3397
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well now I'm getting confused. Everyone else is using 16GB cards with no problem, but they just won't work for me. . . (walks away grumbling irritably). . .

I thought I was using a 16gb in my K10D, but checked and it's only an 8gb. Does that mean the 16gb is in my K110D?

01-11-2018, 02:49 PM   #3398
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm using fast 16GB Samsung cards in my GX-10 (on latest firmware) with no problems, too, Dave...
01-11-2018, 06:26 PM   #3399
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yes , I put in a blank 32g card and it seems to work fine just haven’t had a real chance to test it out good yet.
01-11-2018, 07:30 PM   #3400
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I’ve used up to 32 gig cards, class 10 Sandisk and Lexar with my K10, and I’m on the latest firmware. Of course I have quite a few old 1, 2 and 4 gig cards that are basically delegated to my K10 and ist DL.
01-11-2018, 11:28 PM   #3401
Forum Member

Take a look at Ricoh's support page for Firmware updates for K10d
Only one purpose with version 1.31:
Improved stability of recording image for some SDHC Memory card.

According to SDCARD.ORG
....SD standard - Up to 2GB SD memory card using FAT 12 and 16 file systems
... SDHC standard - over 2GB-32GB SDHC memory card using FAT32 file system
....SDXC standard - over 32GB-2TB SDXC memory card using exFAT file system

Last edited by Dabola; 01-11-2018 at 11:36 PM.
01-12-2018, 03:17 AM   #3402
Pentaxian

Thanks all.

On the Samsung website it looks like 1.30 is the final GX-10 firmware, and trying to go to the download page gives: "Page cannot be loaded." But it's good to hear that other GX-10 shooters are using bigger cards with no problems, so it looks like I just need to try a different (more expensive) card. I'm definitely not going to try to install the Pentax version 1.31 on a Samsung branded body.

As for my initial incorrect assumptions: .

Special thanks to those who have stepped in to help who we don't regularly see here in the K10D Club. it's great to know that you're out there. Now come on folks: post photos!
01-12-2018, 09:00 AM - 5 Likes   #3403

OK, here goes - time to stick one's head above the parapet.
Both of the attached are quite old hand held experiments using an elderly Pentacon 300mm F4 preset lens on which I did some repairwork, attached to the front of my GX10. It weighs a ton but is great at wide apertures.
The images were 'processed' from the original .dng files using the FastStone Image Viewer and considerably shrunk for posting.

---------- Post added 01-12-18 at 09:09 AM ----------

Oops - correction - the mono shot of the boat used my Sigma DL zoom - sorry!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SAMSUNG GX10  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SAMSUNG GX10  Photo 
01-12-2018, 09:53 AM   #3404
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by oldbagley Quote
OK, here goes - time to stick one's head above the parapet.

Fantastic shots, both of them. And you get extra points for using a preset for the windsurfer. That first mono shot is beautifully done. Welcome to the club!
01-12-2018, 10:18 AM - 1 Like   #3405
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by oldbagley Quote
OK, here goes
Very nice, indeed. Welcome to the Cult,....er, Club