Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2018, 05:29 PM - 1 Like   #3466

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
I am not sure exactly what you want re another pair of boat pictures.
I apologize for not being clear. Sadly, it seems to happen often with me. Those pairs of photos are great comparisons. It is just a kid in me was wondering, how much difference would still show after doing very basic processing that is a typical extent of my adjustments: adjusting exposure, black level, and maybe white balance.

By the way - looking at aperture and shutter speed on those boat photos, there is 0.67EV difference between them, with Canon being more exposed - that explains brighter photo (less conservative automatic exposure adjustment in Canon camera?). Pair of photos with grass has 0EV difference, and we can see that results of raw processing are much closer to one another in that case.

---------- Post added 01-31-18 at 07:45 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
I said, "Oh well, keep trying and maybe you'll improve." Which didn't go down well.
That was brilliant. On behalf of all of the amateurs (or maybe, only this one) - Thank you, Dave!

02-01-2018, 01:03 PM - 3 Likes   #3467
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I finally got a chance to take a pony snap with the now uncoated 18-55mm WR today, and I'm feeling quite positive about the modification. Contrast and saturation have come down to the more naturalistic levels that I like, although there's still a slightly brittle quality to the sharpness. And strangely, the previously troublesome chromatic aberration has completely gone now that the front element coating is removed. Why on earth would they have used a coating that actually made the CA worse?

02-01-2018, 03:25 PM   #3468

Very nice! Somehow this one looks to me quite a bit like an oil painting, especially when zoomed in on flickr site.
02-01-2018, 07:20 PM   #3469
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by woodenbits Quote
By the way - looking at aperture and shutter speed on those boat photos, there is 0.67EV difference between them, with Canon being more exposed - that explains brighter photo (less conservative automatic exposure adjustment in Canon camera?). Pair of photos with grass has 0EV difference, and we can see that results of raw processing are much closer to one another in that case.[COLOR="Silver"]
I would be interested to know how you determined the EV difference between those two images with such precision. Happy to learn something new.

02-02-2018, 02:55 AM   #3470
Pentaxian

I would be interested to know how you determined the EV difference between those two images with such precision. Happy to learn something new.

Ray, the K10D shot of the boat is at f/16 at 1/160 at ISO 100. The Canon shot is at f/13 at 1/160 at ISO 100. So the aperture in the Canon shot is 2/3 of a stop wider than in the K10D shot, which as Woodenbits says is 0.67 EV if you round off to two decimals.

Of course, to get strictly identical shots you'd also have to allow for the fact that DSLR sensors never exactly conform to the stated ISO rating. And the different lenses will have slightly different light transmission characteristics too. So even exactly the same camera settings would have probably looked slightly different. But Woodenbits is quite right that the aperture settings were different.

EDIT:
Ha ha! Here's me pontificating away, and I've just realised that in that pony photo above I've left in a sharpening filter that I didn't intend to. I'd played around with sharpening but then decided not to, and I accidentally left a layer mask in there that sharpened everything except the ponies!

I'm going to leave the incorrect version right there exactly as it was, as a reminder not to be such a know-it-all. "Slightly brittle sharpness," he says. Or maybe just a slightly dumbass photographer.

Last edited by Dartmoor Dave; 02-02-2018 at 06:30 AM. Reason: Had some humble pie to eat
02-02-2018, 07:58 AM - 1 Like   #3471
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter

Semi is Latin for half. So, half-professional? Yeah, what does that mean? Which half of you is professional?
Probably the bottom half?
02-02-2018, 08:10 AM - 1 Like   #3472

Dave explained it very well. Except... I cheated and used online calculator: Exposure Calculator to Compare Any Two Camera Exposures

It was definitely an overkill in this case where only aperture was different, but it can be quite useful if shutter speed and iso also differ.
02-02-2018, 11:42 AM   #3473
Pentaxian

Interesting, that this comparison still goes on... I'm not really interested in the slightly smaller sensor Canon APS-C cameras... but maybe I should, there's a local 30D selling for 50 dollars on Craigslist! And it's working too. The CF card for it might cost more than the camera itself...

So. The Canon 1Ds Mk II has gotten down to price levels that make it a very attractive proposition for a professional full frame camera (you can find it for 400-500 dollars these days). Pairing that with the 28-105 3.5-4.5 (around 130 dollars) and a 50 1.4 (around 200) and you'd have a very nice setup. Not to mention they have that nice little 40mm pancake and it costs around 110 or so used. There's even a used 20-35mm 3.5-4.5 USM out there for 139 dollars. I love the fact that it's only 16.7MP, too - a size good enough for large prints but not too unwieldy.

But I can't afford multiple systems, I think, so that would mean I would have to sell my Pentax setup. I'm not at the point where I want to do that, but it tempts me sometimes. I could probably keep the K10D (it's malfunctioning anyway, so not worth much) and some cheap primes but I would have to sell the lovely Sigma 30mm 1.4 Art... along with mostly everything else.

02-02-2018, 02:59 PM   #3474
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ray, the K10D shot of the boat is at f/16 at 1/160 at ISO 100. The Canon shot is at f/13 at 1/160 at ISO 100. So the aperture in the Canon shot is 2/3 of a stop wider than in the K10D shot, which as Woodenbits says is 0.67 EV if you round off to two decimals.

Of course, to get strictly identical shots you'd also have to allow for the fact that DSLR sensors never exactly conform to the stated ISO rating. And the different lenses will have slightly different light transmission characteristics too. So even exactly the same camera settings would have probably looked slightly different. But Woodenbits is quite right that the aperture settings were different.

EDIT:
Ha ha! Here's me pontificating away, and I've just realised that in that pony photo above I've left in a sharpening filter that I didn't intend to. I'd played around with sharpening but then decided not to, and I accidentally left a layer mask in there that sharpened everything except the ponies!

I'm going to leave the incorrect version right there exactly as it was, as a reminder not to be such a know-it-all. "Slightly brittle sharpness," he says. Or maybe just a slightly dumbass photographer.
QuoteOriginally posted by woodenbits Quote
Dave explained it very well. Except... I cheated and used online calculator: Exposure Calculator to Compare Any Two Camera Exposures

It was definitely an overkill in this case where only aperture was different, but it can be quite useful if shutter speed and iso also differ.
Dave and Woodenbits, Thank you for the simple explanation. I was thinking that there was something far more esoteric involved but the answer was hiding in plain sight (to me). I did actually find the Scantips calculator but dismissed it. I'll remember the KISS approach next time.

Dave, I certainly do not think of you as a know-it-all. I have immense respect for you as a knows-a-lot person and a great thinker with an in-depth knowledge of many areas of photography and I have learnt so much from you. And a dumbass photographer you are not. So there!
02-02-2018, 05:53 PM   #3475
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I finally got a chance to take a pony snap
Dave, I like the results you're getting from your new DA18-55 WR (UC). Great tones, and you cannot go wrong with ponies! Congrats, nice shot (well, maybe a tad brittle).
02-03-2018, 03:40 AM   #3476
Pentaxian

Dave and Woodenbits, Thank you for the simple explanation.

Ray, you're too kind as always. And I still owe you a photo of the First Fleet plaque in Plymouth next time I'm there.

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
DA18-55 WR (UC)

Great idea, Paul! DA 18-55mm WR (UC) it is!
02-03-2018, 09:09 AM   #3477
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's a couple with the vanilla DA18-55 (non-WR, non-UC) :

02-03-2018, 09:21 PM - 1 Like   #3478
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just imagine. K10D, SMC Pentax-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR.

Last edited by rayallen; 02-03-2018 at 11:46 PM.
02-05-2018, 11:00 AM - 1 Like   #3479
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A couple of pictures taken in Nice, France. The first is the boardwalk and beach on the Med and the second is a sculpture outside our hotel entrance. It's supposed to be trumpeter Miles Davis. Certainly colorful (which suits the K10D), but I seem to remember Miles Davis being skinnier!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
02-05-2018, 11:23 AM - 1 Like   #3480
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice shots Ray & subsea...

With the DA18-55: