Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2018, 08:26 AM - 2 Likes   #3646
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I had to be in Plymouth today. And, since the newspaper reminded me that it's ANZAC day, I remembered that I owe Ray some snaps of the Australian memorials on the Barbican. So without further ado. . .

First Fleet plaque:

Captain Bligh's plaque:

RAAF plaque:

Unfortunately the wall where the plaques are located is undergoing repairs at the moment:

An overview of the quayside. The Australian memorials are on the wall behind the bus, while the much more ostentatious American memorial is almost hidden behind that awkwardly placed lamp post. The big green thing on the pole is the infamous Barbican Prawn.

These are all shot with the 18-55mm WR, except for the overview which is shot with the Zenitar 16mm.

04-26-2018, 12:52 AM   #3647
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
I had to be in Plymouth today. And, since the newspaper reminded me that it's ANZAC day, I remembered that I owe Ray some snaps of the Australian memorials on the Barbican. So without further ado. . .

First Fleet plaque:

Captain Bligh's plaque:

RAAF plaque:

Unfortunately the wall where the plaques are located is undergoing repairs at the moment:

An overview of the quayside. The Australian memorials are on the wall behind the bus, while the much more ostentatious American memorial is almost hidden behind that awkwardly placed lamp post. The big green thing on the pole is the infamous Barbican Prawn.

These are all shot with the 18-55mm WR, except for the overview which is shot with the Zenitar 16mm.
Many thanks, Dave. I really appreciate your efforts and have downloaded the images for posterity. Some very useful information there which has been excellently recorded by you. Merci beaucoup, mon ami.
04-27-2018, 03:08 PM - 3 Likes   #3648
Pentaxian

Some flowers... with good bokeh even at f/2.8

04-27-2018, 03:21 PM - 7 Likes   #3649
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One from the archives. This is the ornament on the table on my rear patio. It is my trusty and reliable subject for testing AF on my lenses and it has been photographed many times without complaint. But occasionally I try to get a bit more artistic.
K10D, Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4.0 DC Macro HSM 013 Contemporary.

04-28-2018, 08:42 AM - 8 Likes   #3650
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My wife borrowed my K10D and F80-200 to capture these "doggies in the bluebonnets" shots.

04-28-2018, 03:29 PM   #3651
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
My wife borrowed my K10D and F80-200 to capture these "doggies in the bluebonnets" shots.

It looks like she is a good photographer too!
04-29-2018, 08:45 AM   #3652
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
It looks like she is a good photographer too!
Thanks Ray - she definitely has the "eye". Although she hated the back-button AF on the K10 .

04-29-2018, 11:05 AM   #3653
Pentaxian

Thanks Ray - she definitely has the "eye"

You're right, Paul. She really has got "the eye" for a photo. Both of those doggie shots are great, but the first one in particular is an absolute joy.

I would hereby like to propose that we elect Mrs H as an honorary member of the K10D Club.
04-29-2018, 03:16 PM   #3654
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Although she hated the back-button AF on the K10 .
Really?? I am very used to it now and would fine it hard to go back to the old way. My only complaint is that there is no AF button on the battery grip (like there is on the K-3's grip!). But I manage.
04-30-2018, 10:57 AM   #3655
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would hereby like to propose that we elect Mrs H as an honorary member of the K10D Club.
Thanks Dave, I'll pass the news on to her. She likes the camera although she complains that it's big & heavy (compared to her phone)

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
Really?? I am very used to it now and would fine it hard to go back
Ray, she was borrowing my K10, which is set up for BB focus (love it) - but previously she'd always used the shutter button for AF. So it took her awhile to get accustomed to it (but she doesn't like it)!
04-30-2018, 03:48 PM   #3656
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Dave, I'll pass the news on to her. She likes the camera although she complains that it's big & heavy (compared to her phone)
Put a battery grip on it and then she will know "big and heavy" but IMHO better balanced.

Ray, she was borrowing my K10, which is set up for BB focus (love it) - but previously she'd always used the shutter button for AF. So it took her awhile to get accustomed to it (but she doesn't like it)!
It's not a sin to not like BB focus. We all different and that's how it should be.
05-02-2018, 12:29 PM   #3657
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nothing too exciting today. K10D, DA* 16-50, 50mm, 1/250 @ f/11, ISO 100.
05-03-2018, 07:55 AM - 3 Likes   #3658
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

From the botanical gardens in March, using an F35-70 macro:
05-03-2018, 12:44 PM - 2 Likes   #3659
Pentaxian

This is a complete re-edit of one with the 20mm that I originally posted as an earlier version in the Takumar Club. Lately I'm finding that I always do my first edit to get a naturalistic rendering of the quite delicate low-contrast light that we tend to get here, but then a few days later I decide that it looks too washed out as a photograph. So this is more saturated and more contrasty than the earlier edit, and much more contrasty than reality itself, but hopefully a bit more interesting as a photo.

05-03-2018, 04:05 PM   #3660
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is a complete re-edit of one with the 20mm that I originally posted as an earlier version in the Takumar Club. Lately I'm finding that I always do my first edit to get a naturalistic rendering of the quite delicate low-contrast light that we tend to get here, but then a few days later I decide that it looks too washed out as a photograph. So this is more saturated and more contrasty than the earlier edit, and much more contrasty than reality itself, but hopefully a bit more interesting as a photo.

I remember seeing the first edit, Dave, and this one is more interesting for me. I do prefer it. Reality and how you want to present an image are often different.