Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12503 Likes Search this Thread
05-20-2018, 02:08 AM   #3706
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
Oh, that Mach 1 . . .

(. . . pauses to wipe drool off keyboard . . . )

I could just sit and look at that car all day . . .

(. . . wipes more drool off keyboard).
It is lucky that you weren't here. There would have been drool all over the cars. You have only seen a very small selection.

Many more here: Ray Allen | Flickr

05-20-2018, 07:11 AM - 1 Like   #3707
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
The All American Muscle Car Show was on today (May 20) on the rooftop level of the car park at a local shopping mall. A bright sunny day with no clouds provided harsh light with deep shadows but that wasn't going to stop me.
Pentacx K10D, Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4.0 DC Macro HSM 013.

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
Oh, that Mach 1 . . .

(. . . pauses to wipe drool off keyboard . . . )

I could just sit and look at that car all day . . .

(. . . wipes more drool off keyboard).

Me too!
05-20-2018, 06:03 PM - 7 Likes   #3708
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

At Elmer's Fountain, near Mullan, Idaho. Shot 8 years ago when I was still driving big trucks.

Pentax K10D, Pentax DA 10-17mm f3.5-4.5 Fisheye.
05-20-2018, 06:44 PM - 1 Like   #3709
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Another K10D shot from 8 years ago. I spent several days at the nearby Flying J truck stop waiting on oversize load permits for Arizona, and spent the time kicking around making images of the neighborhood. Being July, it was hot. Around 120°F most days, higher on others.

And no shade.

Pentax K10D, Pentax DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR.

05-20-2018, 06:57 PM   #3710
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

The back of the Vance and Hines motorcycle drag racing team semi, at the Pilot truck stop in Rapid City, South Dakota.

Pentax K10D, Pentax DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR.
05-21-2018, 09:27 AM - 1 Like   #3711
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
There would have been drool all over the cars.

Great shots, Ray. My brother did a full restoration of a 1970 Mustang Mach 1 - repainted it a gorgeous midnight blue. The NO2 kit made it go fast, too.

watching the sunset with Jeannie...DA18-55
05-21-2018, 10:03 AM   #3712
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Great shots, Ray. My brother did a full restoration of a 1970 Mustang Mach 1 - repainted it a gorgeous midnight blue. The NO2 kit made it go fast, too.

watching the sunset with Jeannie...DA18-55
It sounds like you should take a picture of your brother's Mustang

05-21-2018, 10:09 AM   #3713
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
It sounds like you should take a picture of your brother's Mustang

I most certainly would if he still owned it. About 15 yrs ago, he sold it, and ended up with a '77 Corvette . He drives a Camry these days - but I'll see if he has photos of his Mustang.
05-21-2018, 03:03 PM   #3714
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks, Paul. I would like to see that one in midnight blue. It is a shame that he no longer owns it. Oh yeah, nothing quite like a bit of NO2!!
05-22-2018, 04:39 AM - 4 Likes   #3715
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hmm, an NO2 kit. Now that might come in handy for those times when I'm stuck behind two coaches and a tractor on my way across the moor.

In the meantime, here's a tree. Yep, after all this classic car talk I've got wood (he said completely innocently).

Takumar 17mm
05-22-2018, 03:54 PM - 1 Like   #3716
Pentaxian

Sometimes I get a bit artsy.

K10D, Rikenon P 50 1.4 @ f4, AF280T flash bounced
05-23-2018, 02:51 AM - 1 Like   #3717

thanks

Dear all

some moths back i discovered this thread and loved the colors produce by CCD sensor.
i got my self a k10d ( to go with my KP)
thank you
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
05-23-2018, 07:27 AM - 2 Likes   #3718
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AmsAmt Quote
Dear all

some moths back i discovered this thread and loved the colors produce by CCD sensor.
i got my self a k10d ( to go with my KP)
thank you
We made another convert

The CCD effect could be the biggest placebo in the world, and people have devoted a few articles to debunking it. But to me, it's very real...

Placebo or not, the image gathered is just so much more pleasing to me, in every sense. I am getting good images from my K-S1 and K-50, but when I open a K10D file to edit, and it's a well exposed one, there's a joy in working with it that the CMOS images just can't give me. Photography is all about the nuances of light and how light paints the subject. I think CCD retains so much more of that magic - in the reflections on water or a shiny surface, in the way that the rays of sun paint things and bring out the colors on anything that they touch. I've been using the K-50 a lot the last few days, because I just got it and want to get to know it well, but every image I open, I keep thinking - what if I had taken this with the K10D, would it look nicer? When I pull up the shadows a little bit (and the K10D has over 2 steps that I can pull easily if I want to, in ISO 100), the K-50 and K-S1 can pull up more, but what I do pull from the K10D looks nice and natural. When I change the white balance to my liking, the colors remain balanced and the sweet spot of an image seems so much larger, while with the CMOS it seems like once the colors are off they are off and I'd need so much PP work to make them look decent. It gets worse when the WB on that CMOS image is already way off when the picture was taken, in which case I'll probably just discard the image...

Long live to the K10D and to CCD. I wish there had been a full frame camera with a CCD. I would sell my last guitars to buy it...
05-23-2018, 08:31 AM   #3719
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome aboard, AmsAmt!

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I wish there had been a full frame camera with a CCD

There's always the 645D
As much as I enjoy and appreciate the IQ and performance of my K-5, I still can't quite come to grips with the colors and tonality of the CMOS sensor. The colors can be nice, but sometimes seem artificial after years of working with my *ist D and K10D files. Hard to teach an old dog new tricks, I guess .

Speaking of new tricks, this is my first image processed using Darktable. Somehow I managed to muddle my way through the process. I still wasn't completely happy, and finished up using my old familiar digiKam tools. I'll keep working with it, though! F80-200 on K10D:
05-23-2018, 08:53 AM - 1 Like   #3720
Pentaxian

Welcome aboard, AmsAmt!

There's always the 645D
As much as I enjoy and appreciate the IQ and performance of my K-5, I still can't quite come to grips with the colors and tonality of the CMOS sensor. The colors can be nice, but sometimes seem artificial after years of working with my *ist D and K10D files. Hard to teach an old dog new tricks, I guess .

Speaking of new tricks, this is my first image processed using Darktable. Somehow I managed to muddle my way through the process. I still wasn't completely happy, and finished up using my old familiar digiKam tools. I'll keep working with it, though! F80-200 on K10D:
Have you seen dtstyle.net - a darktable styles repository ?

They have some wonderful styles there (and some junk too as is to be expected). There is a "Basics Setting" there that I basically apply as a starting point to all my pictures, it really works well as an "auto levels" kind of setting. The film emulations by "t3mujin" (Joćo Almeida) are all great. Mirco Klassisch is a great B&W preset that I've used as a starting point a few times.
I haven't been able to make the Fuji Xtrans styles to work (I loved those in RawTherapee) - they seem to increase something like 3 stops in exposure when I use them... losing tons of highlights in the process.
The cool thing about Darktable is that you can look at your "stack" of modules applied to the picture, and click in any of them and just restart from there. So I'll usually apply the Basics Settings which takes it to level 3, and apply one of the film styles or start making changes on my own, and when I see that it's not working, I just click on level 6 and restart.

Good luck!

Last edited by ChristianRock; 05-23-2018 at 09:02 AM.