Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12503 Likes Search this Thread
03-09-2014, 01:05 AM   #361

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mike7fa Quote
I too could use the split prism for my K10D to improve MF. Can you give me a part number or description.
Sure, Mike... I'm using a KatzEye screen in my K10D. Here's a link directly to the Pentax page on their site... Pentax DSLRs - KatzEye Optics

They're not cheap, but quality is great! I know there are cheaper ones on eBay, and those might work fine, but I can't say as I've never owned one of those. One other thing you wouldn't know from the KatzEye page is that the screen that works in the K10D or K20D will also fit perfectly in the earlier *ist D / DS / D2 bodies. I own a DS2, so that was a bonus for me as I can swap the screen between those bodies if I want. Oh, and I should also mention that there are shims for these cameras (they can be ordered from Pentax - hopefully still available). Pentax puts in a default shim, but other thicknesses are available and you can correct front or back focusing issues by using the correct shim for your camera. One option is to send your camera in to KatzEye and have them install the screen - they will calibrate it for you by picking the correct shim for your particular camera - adds even more to the cost of the screen, but may be worth it to you. Probably cheaper to get the shims from Pentax, but then you have to do your own testing or experimenting to figure out which shim is correct. It's just a shame that Pentax doesn't calibrate each camera with the correct shim at the factory to begin with - but they don't see manual focus accuracy using their OEM screen as a high priority I suppose. My own experience is that after reading about all the FF and BF problems about this, I didn't want to chance it and I sent my K20D in to KatzEye - the calibrated screen was great! Later I decided I didn't like the K20D as much, and downgraded to the K10D I own now. I moved the KatzEye screen into the K10D, keeping the factory shim in it, and focus seems fine, so I guess I lucked out on that. Anyway, hope all this rambling is helpful.

03-09-2014, 04:00 AM   #362
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I too could use the split prism for my K10D to improve MF. Can you give me a part number or description. Thanks
As an alternative way for the more expensive Katz eye solution I recommend you a cheaper and more exciting route of making your own split screen focusing screen. For details let me refer you to the posts I sent some time ago here :

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/241222-change-fo...ml#post2576191

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/241222-change-fo...ml#post2576353

--manntax
03-10-2014, 07:29 AM   #363
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the detailed replies. I will probably send the K10d to KatzEye and have them do it properly. My eyes need some help to achieve precise MF and I enjoy using a selection of old Taks. Carl Zeiss Jena and prime Soligor lenses.
03-10-2014, 10:18 AM   #364
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've used the Katz screen in one of my K10D for a long while. The split screen was pretty big, but not too much of a hassle to use. The biggest issue I've had with it was that the split screen and cross hatch area were slightly out of plane with the ground glass in my copy. In the end, I figured out how to properly focus on ground glass and swapped out for a different model. The replacement is darker, so that's not so great, but at least I can see my target a little better.

03-10-2014, 12:14 PM   #365
Veteran Member

Thanks for the detailed replies. I will probably send the K10d to KatzEye and have them do it properly. My eyes need some help to achieve precise MF and I enjoy using a selection of old Taks. Carl Zeiss Jena and prime Soligor lenses.
Sure go ahead - I am sure once you get it done it will be a massive relief to your eyes and an improvement in manual focusing !!
it will get some used to before you will be able to nail the focus with any lens, but its well worth it ! I learned to use mine so I know that my critical point of sharpness shown on the split screen is usually at the same time the very closest sharp area and following sharpness will be further from that point. I say usually because some lenses are different - but once you get used to this - focusing is a breeze !! Well - almost - because the funny thing is that with some lenses focusing is simple easier and with others is simple harder ( or inaccurate ) - not sure why but I accept the facts and move one

QuoteOriginally posted by smigol Quote
I've used the Katz screen in one of my K10D for a long while. The split screen was pretty big, but not too much of a hassle to use. The biggest issue I've had with it was that the split screen and cross hatch area were slightly out of plane with the ground glass in my copy. In the end, I figured out how to properly focus on ground glass and swapped out for a different model. The replacement is darker, so that's not so great, but at least I can see my target a little better.
That's quite strange - I would expect a 100$ focusing screen to be *perfect* - so that is really discouraging - unless it was simple not fitted properly ? --manntax
03-10-2014, 02:12 PM   #366
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
That's quite strange - I would expect a 100$ focusing screen to be *perfect* - so that is really discouraging - unless it was simple not fitted properly ? --manntax
Yes, you'd expect things to be better. What finally showed me the difference was that I could get the focus set right on the ground glass portion (anywhere on the GG, not just in one corner) and the split screen would show an offset. The reverse would be true if I set focus with the split screen. The ground glass was the proper focus point for my camera, so the split screen device was more of a hassle than a help. The error was subtle, requiring a few years of use before I could notice it.

Maybe by sending the camera and lens off to Katz it would have been installed better since they could have selected different screens & shims to better match the setup. In the end, I had a full set of shims and just one screen, so I made do with what I had available.

Still, the optibright coating is top notch and much better than the EES.
03-11-2014, 04:18 PM   #367
Forum Member

In reviewing all the comments and advice regarding the focus prism I now have a good understanding of the pros and cons. The OptiBright coating should also help. Thanks to all for your help/

Last edited by mike7fa; 03-11-2014 at 04:24 PM.
03-11-2014, 04:51 PM   #368
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A35-70/4 (possible re-post - didn't check)

03-11-2014, 06:29 PM   #369

Thanks to all for your help/
Happy to help - let us know how you make out and what you think of it.

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
A35-70/4 (possible re-post - didn't check)
Beautiful shot - this scene is so appreciated with the long winter we've had here, and another big storm hitting the northeast again tomorrow and Thursday!!
03-14-2014, 02:34 AM   #370
Veteran Member

So I got a K10D, as my first DSLR (I've used various point-and-shoot cameras and film SLRs), and seeing how this is about 7-8 years after it's original release, and everyone seems really happy with the results and the prices are pretty low compared, as well as the fact that its not a Canon/Nikon, I thought that it's a good DSLR to get started with. I have a few screwmount lenses, here's the list:

Super-Takumar 50mm / f 1.4 (8 element)
SMC Takumar 55mm / f 1.8
SMC Macro-Takumar 50mm / f 4
Takumar 200mm / f 3.5
Helios 44-2 58mm / f 2
Jupiter-8M 50mm / f 2

do you have any advice and tips on how to get started with the camera, any hidden settings, etc? Also I saw some threads about a split screen modification, so should I get it since I'll be using only manual lenses?

Last edited by hmirchev; 03-14-2014 at 02:36 AM. Reason: added more info
03-14-2014, 04:14 AM   #371
Veteran Member

Firstly. those lenses seem find. in 18 months you will be like Ahhhh All i need is this single 50, I wish i hadnt wasted my cash on the rest :P But thats for your own future adventure.

For the K10... Hold the OK button whilst moving the fornt wheel, that changes the iso thus leaving you not having to enter the quick menu

Brilliant!

Enjoy Photography. The quicker you can forget about your gear the better
03-14-2014, 06:19 AM   #372
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hmirchev Quote
do you have any advice and tips on how to get started with the camera, any hidden settings, etc? Also I saw some threads about a split screen modification, so should I get it since I'll be using only manual lenses?
Congratulations on your first DSLR, and you already have an excellent lens bag to go along with it (or are those new acquisitions too?) -- they all look like keepers. The stock focusing screen, assuming that's what you have in the camera, is designed for slower lenses -- the depth of field it shows is somewhere around f/3.5. This makes focusing an f/1.4 (or even an f/2) lens rather hit-or-miss, although with practice you can still do pretty well. I use the S-type screens from focusingscreen.com and really like them. Some prefer the KatzEye.

tromboads has already given you the most useful K10D trick I know.

It's worth reading the entire user manual, or at least going through all the menus to see what's there. There are a lot of settings you might want to change. One setting you will need to change is the "using aperture ring" setting to allow you to use your old lenses.

Some raw-only shooters like to set the contrast to the lowest setting. This has no effect on the raw file, but gives you a histogram that is a closer match to the raw file.
03-14-2014, 10:55 AM   #373
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another tip that I didn't learn for several years was to half push the trigger (even when using MF or the AF button on the back) for a second to ensure the shake reduction is active. So many times I wondered why the shake reduction didn't work for my shots and it was probably because I was too hasty. Now that I wait that pause, I'm getting better results from the technique.
03-14-2014, 08:24 PM   #374
Veteran Member

Thanks guys can't wait to get started. Will post some pics when i understand how to use it properly
03-16-2014, 07:46 PM   #375
Veteran Member

Vrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrom!

Thank you Tak 135 f3.5, from the Grand Prix yesterday.

Whoops!
Not as noisy as one would hope flat stick
Marshels are cool
And celebrities can't drive

Can someone lend me a f2 something or other so I can blur out that fence next year? :P