Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12492 Likes Search this Thread
06-06-2018, 07:26 AM   #3781
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We have had a lot of rain recently up the mountains, so the Chattahoochee river that runs through Atlanta has been pretty full. A 24 2.8

06-06-2018, 08:57 AM - 6 Likes   #3782
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Is the DA 16-45 a recent acquisition? I love mine (despite my preference for zooms, I'm glad I have it )
I got it about 6 mo. ago, and it's a good copy. No barrel wobble, and optics are clean. I think you meant "preference for primes" in your quote above (?). Same here, but as zooms go, the 16-45 is a good one

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
Very nice images, Paul. I especially like the light in the second one. Good work.
Thanks Ray. Both shots were taken about 30 min before sunset and I try to plan my visits to the creek/park around then. Lucky for me it's only about 5 min. from home

Another recent one with the DA16-45:

Last edited by paulh; 06-06-2018 at 09:11 AM.
06-06-2018, 09:48 AM - 3 Likes   #3783
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Another K10D shot, a colorful doorway from Silverton, Oregon.

06-06-2018, 10:46 AM   #3784
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

A Peterbilt cabover tractor, owned by Goodrich Aerospace in RIverside, California. Shot at dawn, K10D, DA 18-55 WR.

06-06-2018, 04:01 PM   #3785
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Buffalo Springfield. K10D, DA 18-55 WR.

06-06-2018, 06:56 PM   #3786
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
A Peterbilt cabover tractor, owned by Goodrich Aerospace in RIverside, California. Shot at dawn, K10D, DA 18-55 WR.

That one looks like it has a few miles on the clock. But not ready to retire just yet.

If that is what Peterbilt, what is a Kenworth?
06-06-2018, 07:24 PM - 1 Like   #3787
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
If that is what Peterbilt, what is a Kenworth?
I forget what model Pete that cabover is.

Kenworth is another make of big truck.

Either truck will set you back a huge chunk of change.

Both Kenworth and Peterbilt are owned by PACCAR (Pacific Car And Foundry) which is headquartered in Bellevue, Washington, USA. I worked for them for a short time as a contractor, performing product test and development, at their Research and Test facility PACCAR Tech Center, in Mount Vernon, Washington some years ago. The company had just purchased DAF trucks to have access to the engines they were using, which they developed into the MX engine series.

06-07-2018, 02:52 AM   #3788

Need Some Help - Been A Year Since I Used The Camera

Have a backpacking trip this weekend in Yosemite in the back country along the Toulumne River, with a number of waterfalls and rapids, and I expect wildflowers.
Due to owning my own auto detailing business in Silicon Valley that has simply taken off, I have not had time to enjoy life and use this camera.
Seeing the pics in this thread, which I have also contributed to, are amazing. This is the first time I am using the K-10 in a year, and I looked at it with a deer in the headlights look. It is frustrating because I knew the camera like the back of my hand, when I was active.
I know it should be in manual focus, but for nature shots what other setting should I use? I did a search in this thread and did not find what I was looking for. I know it is here, just did not use the right search words.
My K-10 is using a Pentax 16-45 lens and a 75-300/macro manual lens.
Can someone point me to a post where I can get myself back to the basics? I suspect once I get a little refreshed, it will come flooding back to me.(He says with little confidence)
Don't need a Phd dissertation. just some basics, but know "auto stupid" is not the answer to incredible pictures.
Can someone steer me in the right direction?
Thanks, I should come back with some awesome pics. This is a very unusual place that not many people get to on the river.
Thanks
Steve
06-07-2018, 04:17 AM   #3789
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Grzldvt Quote
Have a backpacking trip this weekend in Yosemite in the back country along the Toulumne River, with a number of waterfalls and rapids, and I expect wildflowers.
Due to owning my own auto detailing business in Silicon Valley that has simply taken off, I have not had time to enjoy life and use this camera.
Seeing the pics in this thread, which I have also contributed to, are amazing. This is the first time I am using the K-10 in a year, and I looked at it with a deer in the headlights look. It is frustrating because I knew the camera like the back of my hand, when I was active.
I know it should be in manual focus, but for nature shots what other setting should I use? I did a search in this thread and did not find what I was looking for. I know it is here, just did not use the right search words.
Can someone point me to a post where I can get myself back to the basics? I suspect once I get a little refreshed, it will come flooding back to me.(He says with little confidence)
Don't need a Phd dissertation. just some basics, but know "auto stupid" is not the answer to incredible pictures.
Thanks, I should come back with some awesome pics. This is a very unusual place that not many people get to on the river.
Thanks
Steve
For me, when I began using digital gear I found that using full manual settings and shooting like I did with film was the key. It forces me to take my time, compose the shot, meter, choose settings and ultimately make the exposure.

I get a higher keeper rate that way.
06-07-2018, 01:51 PM   #3790
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Grzldvt Quote
Thanks
Steve
I personally prefer to shoot in RAW since the files are not that large and I think a modern RAW converter really gets the best out of them.

If shooting JPEG I would leave it to a more natural setting. With the 16-45 I don't think you need to boost contrast and saturation too much (maybe +1 on contrast), but with the 70-300 I would probably add 1 or 2 steps of each. And I would play with adding a bit of sharpness as well.

I would just take 30 minutes to shoot some subjects in your backyard or the street at these settings, and then another 10 minutes looking at them on the computer to see what settings worked best, and just use that.
06-07-2018, 03:14 PM - 5 Likes   #3791
Pentaxian

This bumblebee says, I'm out of here.

Takumar 135 2.8
06-08-2018, 12:57 PM - 2 Likes   #3792
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A few from an evening dogwalk with the SMC Tak 55/1.8 (some xposted):

06-08-2018, 06:49 PM - 5 Likes   #3793
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

K10D, DFA 100 Macro WR.

Shot through a chain link fence. I led the lens up to an opening in the wire, composed, metered and squeezed the button.

06-11-2018, 08:12 AM - 1 Like   #3794

Awsome Bee Shot

---------- Post added 06-11-18 at 08:18 AM ----------

I recently took the gamble on purchasing the two K10D bodies I have As used Equipment..
I just uploaded my file data on each to check Shutter actuations on each and learned that one has 12446 and the other only 7300
If the shutter life is indeed around 100,000 on These Bodies I should still have lots of life left on them I hope
06-12-2018, 11:48 AM - 2 Likes   #3795
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K10D and DA 35mm f/2.8 Macro.