Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2018, 07:24 AM   #4306
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote

Am I stuck with aftermarket batteries from eBay?

KEH has a listing for them @ $12.00. Says “Limited Stock”. I assume these are genuine OEM batteries, since they also have a separate listing for “Miscellaneous Brand” D-Li50 batteries for $3.00.

I picked up two used genuine Pentax D-Li50 batteries from them a few years ago - they (and my original battery) are all still working fine.

10-26-2018, 07:25 AM   #4307
Veteran Member

I have also used aftermarket batteries, with success.

I recently had two aftermarket batteries fail on me at a VERY inopportune time. I just wanted to see if I could find a newly manufactured D-Li50, to see if it lasted any longer. I'm not interested in new-old-stock, because I don't know what the shelf life of a Li-Ion battery is.
10-26-2018, 09:11 AM   #4308
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Now here's an odd coincidence. I got my little K-S1 out to take a couple of snaps this afternoon and the battery was flat, which seemed strange because I know that I put that battery in the camera fully charged in late September for some family snaps. So in less than a month, and less than a hundred shots, it has run down to empty.

I took the battery out of the camera assuming that it would be the ebay spare, but it turned out that it was the Pentax branded battery that came with the camera that has failed to hold its charge. It's only a minor annoyance because replacement batteries are cheap and I've always got a spare on me, but it's crazy that it happened on exactly the same day that we're discussing the question in this thread. Talk about synchronicity.
10-29-2018, 11:34 AM - 2 Likes   #4309
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bishop Hill, Illinois.
Very, very windy day, with only occasional sun.

Phoenix/Samyang f/4-4.5 18-28mm + K10D
Green mode. 1/800, f/9
Shot as ooc jpeg, only straightened slightly.

11-02-2018, 07:45 AM - 6 Likes   #4310
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A few shots from the Coppell TX carshow in September. This is a rare (I believe) 150-series 1953 Chevy Handyman, the first I've ever seen. DA16-45 on K10D:

11-03-2018, 01:57 AM   #4311
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
This is a rare (I believe) 150-series 1953 Chevy Handyman, the first I've ever seen. DA16-45 on K10D:

At first I thought the lighter parts were wood, but then I realised that it was just painted to look like that. There's something about a wooden-framed car that I've always loved, perhaps because of so many happy memories of my mother's old Morris Traveller from waaaay back in the early seventies.

Great results with the 16-45 again.
11-03-2018, 04:51 AM   #4312
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
At first I thought the lighter parts were wood, but then I realised that it was just painted to look like that. There's something about a wooden-framed car that I've always loved, perhaps because of so many happy memories of my mother's old Morris Traveller from waaaay back in the early seventies.
There are companies that still manufacture complete wooden frame sets for restoration of the Morris Traveller, Dave

11-03-2018, 05:02 AM - 1 Like   #4313
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
There are companies that still manufacture complete wooden frame sets for restoration of the Morris Traveller, Dave

They do indeed, Mike. I remember an episode of "Wheeler Dealers" where they visited the factory to see a new frame being hand-crafted, then Edd rebuilt the car with it. Pure bliss to watch.
11-03-2018, 02:14 PM   #4314
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One thing that I have always wondered about is why, in a country with a climate like that of England, would you put non-functional wooden framework on the outside of a car? Yes, I know that it looked good but why do it?

BTW, I do have a great association with English cars. My first proper job after high school was working for BMC (British Motor Corporation) for 5 years. My first car was an MG TC followed by a Morris Minor 1000 and then an Austin 1800 Mk II and a Morris Mini S.
11-03-2018, 02:32 PM - 2 Likes   #4315
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
One thing that I have always wondered about is why, in a country with a climate like that of England, would you put non-functional wooden framework on the outside of a car? Yes, I know that it looked good but why do it?

To retain structural integrity after all the metal bits had rusted away, of course. Many of the cars on our Dartmoor roads are 90% wattle and daub.
11-03-2018, 02:47 PM   #4316
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

It's a lot more functional than you realise, Ray. Aside from the chassis, the wooden framework of the Morris Traveller is entirely responsible for the structural stability of its rear section. The metal body panels are actually rather thin (they flex when you push them ). The wooden frame is everything. Incidentally, this is much the same manufacturing method used for most British caravans from the 1950s and 60s (even 70s). Contrary to what you might expect, wooden products do just fine in the British climate. You just have to take care of them sensibly - oiling or varnishing at reasonable intervals, etc.

We get quite a lot of rain in this country, and we rarely enjoy the same kind of warmth or number of sunny days as many other places, but we typically have a fairly narrow volatility of temperature and humidity too. It's rarely very hot and humid, nor is it generally very cold and dry. Hence, there's a lot less expansion and contraction in wooden products than some countries experience. As a one-time collector of Gibson acoustic guitars (sadly, now, all sold), and still an owner of several non-Gibson instruments, I can say it's a wonderful climate for them... But even outdoors, with proper care, wooden products last well here if treated properly (as evidenced by Morgan cars with wooden chassis, and several WW2 era fighter and bomber planes!)

BTW, I do have a great association with English cars. My first proper job after high school was working for BMC (British Motor Corporation) for 5 years. My first car was an MG TC followed by a Morris Minor 1000 and then an Austin 1800 Mk II and a Morris Mini S.
Awesome!!

My grandfather had a TD (before I was born), and restored a 1950's Morris Minor convertible during my childhood. It was eventually bought by a chap in the USA. A very beautiful car... I was amazed he sold it, especially considering the quality of the no-expense-spared restoration, but I believe the offer he got was too much to turn down
11-03-2018, 03:54 PM - 1 Like   #4317
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To retain structural integrity after all the metal bits had rusted away, of course. Many of the cars on our Dartmoor roads are 90% wattle and daub.
Ah, OK, that does make sense. There were a couple of areas on the old Minor 1000 that were very prone to rust.

It's a lot more functional than you realise, Ray. Aside from the chassis, the wooden framework of the Morris Traveller is entirely responsible for the structural stability of its rear section. The metal body panels are actually rather thin (they flex when you push them ). The wooden frame is everything. Incidentally, this is much the same manufacturing method used for most British caravans from the 1950s and 60s (even 70s). Contrary to what you might expect, wooden products do just fine in the British climate. You just have to take care of them sensibly - oiling or varnishing at reasonable intervals, etc.

We get quite a lot of rain in this country, and we rarely enjoy the same kind of warmth or number of sunny days as many other places, but we typically have a fairly narrow volatility of temperature and humidity too. It's rarely very hot and humid, nor is it generally very cold and dry. Hence, there's a lot less expansion and contraction in wooden products than some countries experience. As a one-time collector of Gibson acoustic guitars (sadly, now, all sold), and still an owner of several non-Gibson instruments, I can say it's a wonderful climate for them... But even outdoors, with proper care, wooden products last well here if treated properly (as evidenced by Morgan cars with wooden chassis, and several WW2 era fighter and bomber planes!)

Awesome!!

My grandfather had a TD (before I was born), and restored a 1950's Morris Minor convertible during my childhood. It was eventually bought by a chap in the USA. A very beautiful car... I was amazed he sold it, especially considering the quality of the no-expense-spared restoration, but I believe the offer he got was too much to turn down
Thank you for that valuable information, Mike. It certainly was more functional than I realised and was much more suited to your climate than ours down here in Australia which is a land of extremes.
You are probably aware that underneath the sleek exterior that the TA, TB, TC, TD and TF had a wooden frame inside the body which needed constant maintenance especially to the door hinges. Yes, the Morgans also used a similar construction. Thanks again for your contribution as it made for interesting reading.
11-04-2018, 09:01 AM   #4318
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great results with the 16-45 again.
Thanks Dave, Ray, and others for the comments! I, too thought this car was a "woody" at first glance. There may have been one manufactured by Chevrolet, not certain (maybe a Woodsman?). The 150-series was the low-end model featuring less chrome trim and other "luxury" appointments seen on the Bel-Air or even the 210 series.

Last edited by paulh; 11-04-2018 at 12:10 PM.
11-04-2018, 11:42 AM - 1 Like   #4319
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And didn't ships used to be made of wood? They get wet.
11-05-2018, 12:46 AM - 3 Likes   #4320
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have been going through some old photos to find these fine examples from a Morris Minor rally in 2012 when I only had one DSLR - my faithful K10D.
I think the wood on these is pretty safe as they probably spend most of their time cosseted in a garage.

And this very clean engine bay...

which lives in this little beauty.