Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2018, 01:59 AM   #4321
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
I have been going through some old photos to find these fine examples from a Morris Minor rally in 2012 when I only had one DSLR - my faithful K10D.I think the wood on these is pretty safe as they probably spend most of their time cosseted in a garage.

Wonderful shots of a car that gives me pure joy every time I see one. And thanks especially for the shot showing the rear door mechanism. I remember being endlessly fascinated by the beautiful simplicity of it as a kid, and I got exactly that same feeling again when I saw that photo. It's the same feeling I get when I'm working on one of my Takumars: that sense of the pure rightness of how each component is designed to do just the thing it has to do, and does it beautifully. A feeling that I never get from modern day plastics and electronics.

I'm not sure exactly how much of a hopeless geek that makes me, but probably quite a lot of one.

11-05-2018, 08:47 AM   #4322
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great shots of those Morris Minors, Ray. Back in Calif in the 80s I had a friend whose dream was to transform his little beat up Minor into one of those beauties. The car was driveable, but family obligations and other expenses kept him from achieving that. Back then I owned a '70 Austin America - a fun little car as well. I think it had the same 1275cc engine, but with front wheel drive (were the Minors rear-wheel drive?). I think it only had a single SU carb, unlike the duals in your photos. Nice shots & thanks for the memories!
11-05-2018, 02:32 PM - 4 Likes   #4323
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
Wonderful shots of a car that gives me pure joy every time I see one. And thanks especially for the shot showing the rear door mechanism. I remember being endlessly fascinated by the beautiful simplicity of it as a kid, and I got exactly that same feeling again when I saw that photo. It's the same feeling I get when I'm working on one of my Takumars: that sense of the pure rightness of how each component is designed to do just the thing it has to do, and does it beautifully. A feeling that I never get from modern day plastics and electronics.

I'm not sure exactly how much of a hopeless geek that makes me, but probably quite a lot of one.
I feel good for being able to bring such joy into your life, Dave. I think we are fellow geeks. My latest geek thing is making all my DSLRs WiFi capable (even the ones that only use CF cards) with Wifi SD cards. And I have achieved it. Do I really need that capability? Probably not. I just wanted to see if it could be done and I did it.

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Great shots of those Morris Minors, Ray. Back in Calif in the 80s I had a friend whose dream was to transform his little beat up Minor into one of those beauties. The car was driveable, but family obligations and other expenses kept him from achieving that. Back then I owned a '70 Austin America - a fun little car as well. I think it had the same 1275cc engine, but with front wheel drive (were the Minors rear-wheel drive?). I think it only had a single SU carb, unlike the duals in your photos. Nice shots & thanks for the memories!
Yes, Paul, the Morris Minors were rear-wheel drive but it was basically the same engine that was turned east-west in the engine bay and started life in the Morris Mini and many other variants after that. Your Austin America was one of those. It was known as the Austin 1100 in Australia and was made during my time at BMC.

Here are a couple more images from that Minor rally day.

This one is a very similar colour to mine.

This is a stock standard engine bay.

A Morris Minor Ute and trailer.

And this one is from my Pentax Spotmatic film days - my Morris Mini S. With an Austin 1800 in the background.
11-07-2018, 08:57 AM - 2 Likes   #4324
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sunset skies over UPS...pushing the iso a bit that night. DA18-55:

11-08-2018, 10:27 AM - 4 Likes   #4325
Pentaxian

When you can't find a good landscape scene, you can always use a tele and take pictures of details... these were taken with my $20 Craigs Optics 60-300mm f/4-5.6. An excellent manual focus lens, I find (same as the identically-looking Soligor and possibly a Cosina/Tokina collaboration).

11-08-2018, 12:30 PM - 1 Like   #4326

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
When you can't find a good landscape scene, you can always use a tele and take pictures of details... these were taken with my $20 Craigs Optics 60-300mm f/4-5.6. An excellent manual focus lens, I find (same as the identically-looking Soligor and possibly a Cosina/Tokina collaboration).

I agree The smaller details are fun to shoot using different lenses
Nice Shots
11-08-2018, 09:44 PM   #4327
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MJSteele Quote
Nice Shots
Thank you!

11-09-2018, 08:52 AM   #4328
Pentaxian

Wow, those shots look fantastic. You sent me straight to the auction place looking for one of those in K mount or M42.
11-09-2018, 12:14 PM - 1 Like   #4329

I had gone to digital around 2001, but the K10D was my first DSLR and first Pentax. It opened me up to a new world of possibilities in photography. Hnestly, I had not noticed the difference discussed here to my current K-50, but I will be doing some comparison shooting as soon as it quits rainign in the East.

Don
11-12-2018, 12:19 PM   #4330
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MJSteele Quote
Nice Shots
Although I have a bunch of lenses, I tend to stick a lens on a camera and go out and shoot what that lens can see. Maybe later, when I'm back in the house, I'll swap do a different lens for the next outing, but if I have a longish zoom on the camera that is how I'm going to see (what's in) the landscape around me.
11-12-2018, 01:08 PM   #4331
Pentaxian

Wow, those shots look fantastic. You sent me straight to the auction place looking for one of those in K mount or M42.
One thing I think I mentioned is that these lenses have a very long flange for some reason. They fit on film cameras easily but not on DSLRs, until you either remove the flange or cut it down some. I cut mine and it's not pretty but it worked like a charm. I mean, I'm not worried about resale value on my $20 lens. Which by the way, is being sold by the same seller still (they did mention they had more in the ebay auction I bought it from). But now they're asking $40 for it shipped in the US. I'd say still worth it, especially since the IQ is pretty good for a push-pull lens, and it has the A setting!

Not recommended if you don't like lenses that have zoom creep. Mine has a lot.

This thread explains the flange issue: Problem with Tokina 60-300mm f/4-5.6 SZ-X - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by ChristianRock; 11-12-2018 at 01:17 PM.
11-13-2018, 01:43 AM   #4332
Pentaxian

This thread explains the flange issue: Problem with Tokina 60-300mm f/4-5.6 SZ-X - PentaxForums.com

Thanks Christian. I was in an auction for a Tokina SZ-X last night but then couldn't get to my computer in time for the auction ending. And it went for under £20, which seems like a giveaway price judging by your samples. Once again, I should have used autobid but didn't. How many auctions will I have to lose before I ever learn?
11-13-2018, 09:34 AM   #4333
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Jeannie at the ponds...Super Tak 105/2.8 on K10D:
11-14-2018, 05:51 AM - 5 Likes   #4334
Pentaxian

A photographer shooting medium format film at Windy Post Cross. He's shooting pretty much the "standard" composition across the little waterfall towards the cross, and I can hardly criticise him for that when I've shot from that same spot myself so many times. With the 18-55mm WR.

11-14-2018, 09:44 AM - 1 Like   #4335
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

He's shooting pretty much the "standard" composition across the little waterfall towards the cross
Beautiful location with lovely light - easy to see why it's popular with photographers Nice one.

Late October afternoon with the Super Tak 105/2.8 on K10D: