Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2019, 10:18 AM - 6 Likes   #4456
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
From Christmas week with (you guessed it) the F35-80:

Taken Christmas week 2012 with the A35/2.8:

Last edited by paulh; 01-18-2019 at 11:41 AM.
01-20-2019, 06:51 AM - 9 Likes   #4457
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Took my £5 Palinar 200mm preset for a walk yesterday.

01-20-2019, 08:50 PM   #4458
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
Took my £5 Palinar 200mm preset for a walk yesterday.
I'd say you got your money's worth.
01-20-2019, 08:55 PM   #4459
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
I agree.

01-21-2019, 01:56 AM   #4460
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote

It's no Takumar, that's for sure. But it's a lot sharper than the hated (and now gone) F100-300mm was at 200mm. I'd say it's good enough that it's probably worth even as much as £6.
01-22-2019, 10:30 AM - 4 Likes   #4461
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

From September with the DA16-45:
01-22-2019, 02:50 PM - 5 Likes   #4462
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
Anyone who reads this entire thread finds reports of more than one person who "upgraded" from their K10D with another model, and who sold or gave away his or her K10D, and have later missed their K10D so much that they had to get buy another one. I suggest that anybody who wants to upgrade from a working K10D, simply store the K10D for when you feel called to use it again.
I've said or implied it many times before in various threads here... I shoot lots of different equipment - little (if any) of it "leading edge", but some quite modern stuff such as the K-3 and K-3II. Yet my favourite cameras of all are my two Samsung GX-10 K10D clones. The way the CCD records light is, for a digital camera, sublime - and quite different to later CMOS sensor models. I'm not talking about JPEGs here, but raw files... The tonal response is just lovely, especially at ISO 100 - 400, but even 800 at a push. And the simplicity of controls and operation is delightful to work with. My head hurts with the range of features and settings on the latest gear... It's all clever stuff, but I just want to take nice photos

01-22-2019, 07:43 PM   #4463
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I've said or implied it many times before in various threads here... I shoot lots of different equipment - little (if any) of it "leading edge", but some quite modern stuff such as the K-3 and K-3II. Yet my favourite cameras of all are my two Samsung GX-10 K10D clones. The way the CCD records light is, for a digital camera, sublime - and quite different to later CMOS sensor models. I'm not talking about JPEGs here, but raw files... The tonal response is just lovely, especially at ISO 100 - 400, but even 800 at a push. And the simplicity of controls and operation is delightful to work with. My head hurts with the range of features and settings on the latest gear... It's all clever stuff, but I just want to take nice photos

I remember reading a review of the K10d, back when it was in production. Don't remember where I read it, but the reviewer said something like "this camera cries out for raw files", and went on to explain that the raw files it produced were superb.
01-23-2019, 06:55 AM - 2 Likes   #4464
Pentaxian

An intrepid team of photographers heading towards Great Staple Tor this morning. Obviously experts with those backpacks and tripods, and all safely bundled up in their mountain gear to survive the light dusting of snow and slightly above freezing temperatures. I don't think they were very impressed by me standing there with my jacket undone and my gear in a little canvas messenger bag, with a stumpy old Takumar 17mm on my camera.

01-23-2019, 09:49 AM - 5 Likes   #4465

Hello everyone, just wanted to introduce myself. I've had my K10D for a while (and this forum account), and was very much into photography for a little bit years ago. It was one of the things that fell to the wayside during my college years and I'm just now picking it back up again (and loving every second!). I know my K10D is old, and I of course have not been able to resist comparing it to new camera models, but it took great photos when I got it in 2010 and it still does now. I may upgrade soon, or not so soon (it would be another used Pentax, as my K10D was), but for now I'm just really enjoying what I have.

Here is a photo I took on a recent hike... to me the camera's dynamic range is outstanding and this photo seems to show that. But I'm no expert about that stuff - I just know I like the photos I've been taking with it!

Last edited by Mobusaki; 01-24-2019 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Flickr embed
01-23-2019, 10:41 AM   #4466
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
An intrepid team of photographers heading towards Great Staple Tor this morning.
Nice shot Dave - and amusing narrative .

@Mobusaki Welcome to the Cult, and a nice b/w image from you as well!
01-23-2019, 11:46 AM   #4467
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Mobusaki Quote
Hello everyone, just wanted to introduce myself. I've had my K10D for a while (and this forum account), and was very much into photography for a little bit years ago. It was one of the things that fell to the wayside during my college years and I'm just now picking it back up again (and loving every second!). I know my K10D is old, and I of course have not been able to resist comparing it to new camera models, but it took great photos when I got it in 2010 and it still does now. I may upgrade soon, or not so soon (it would be another used Pentax, as my K10D was), but for now I'm just really enjoying what I have.

Here is a photo I took on a recent hike... to me the camera's dynamic range is outstanding and this photo seems to show that. But I'm no expert about that stuff - I just know I like the photos I've been taking with it!

IMGP0667 | jbpetrus | Flickr
Welcome to the clubhouse!
01-23-2019, 12:32 PM - 1 Like   #4468
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mobusaki Quote
Hello everyone, just wanted to introduce myself.

Welcome aboard. You've got some absolutely wonderful K10D shots in your Flickr stream, and I hope we'll get to see lots more from you.
01-24-2019, 11:50 AM - 2 Likes   #4469

Thank you everyone! Dave, I hope to take lots more! I have a bunch of undeveloped RAWs from when I first got the K10D. I was looking through them last night and found a bunch of my dog, Wiley, who has since passed away. Photography can be like time travel sometimes, where an old photo can take you right back to that memory like it just happened. I had forgotten this day but now I remember it clearly, thanks to these photos. I was never good at action shots (few ever end up in focus) and exposure was always a challenge with a black dog against snow. This one isn't perfect but it's one of the few that isn't completely out of focus. It makes me happy to see my boy playing in the snow, one of his favorite things. The pictures don't lie: he had so much fun that day!

Taken on January 21, 2012; rediscovered and developed on January 23, 2019.

Last edited by Mobusaki; 01-24-2019 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Flickr link
01-25-2019, 12:15 AM - 6 Likes   #4470
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Near downtown Fillmore, Calif. DA18-55 on K10D: