Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12503 Likes Search this Thread
03-26-2019, 01:19 AM   #4561
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thanks, Paul and Ray. It looks sharp enough on my monitor too now. Maybe my eyes were a bit blurry from a tad too much of the Australian happy juice on the evening I posted it.

03-26-2019, 09:01 AM - 1 Like   #4562
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
a tad too much of the Australian happy juice
I want some!

A forgotten photo from Oct 2015, taken at the backwaters of the lake. DA18-55 on K10D:

From early March at the ponds. Those trees have completely leafed out since then. Super Tak 35/3.5.

Last edited by paulh; 03-26-2019 at 09:11 AM.
03-26-2019, 01:51 PM - 1 Like   #4563
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

...from a tad too much of the Australian happy juice on the evening I posted it.
You may find it hard to believe but I can relate to that.
03-28-2019, 10:38 AM - 1 Like   #4564
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It was a lovely sunny spring morning when I went down into Tavistock to get my Sunday paper today, so I grabbed a snap. Six shots handheld with the Takumar 17mm, defished and stitched in Photoshop. The end result is only actually about two shots wide, but I wanted to give the stitching software plenty of data to work with. (Looks like the forum has done some auto-resizing that makes it look unsharp on my monitor. So it goes.)
Beautiful. Great job stitching and defishing.

03-29-2019, 06:43 AM   #4565

Broken K10D

Hi guys,

Just bought this used K10D for a throwaway price. The hot shoe is broken along with the plastic holding it. Can you guys please suggest a DIY to fix it. If it can’t be fixed, I will be content if the hole can be sealed to protect the camera interior from the elements!!
Attached Images

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-29-2019 at 08:11 AM. Reason: Replaced photo for one without EXIF, per member request
03-29-2019, 09:30 AM - 4 Likes   #4566
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by krsreddy Quote
Just bought this used K10D for a throwaway price
Wish I could help you with this - so I'll leave it to more DIY-minded folks here. If you can get it patched up, it'll make a great outdoors/natural light shooter at least. Welcome to the thread, btw!

blossoms & blue skies - Super Tak 35/3.5 on K10D in mid-March:

Last edited by paulh; 03-29-2019 at 10:38 AM.
03-29-2019, 09:55 AM - 1 Like   #4567
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by krsreddy Quote
Hi guys,

Just bought this used K10D for a throwaway price. The hot shoe is broken along with the plastic holding it. Can you guys please suggest a DIY to fix it. If it can’t be fixed, I will be content if the hole can be sealed to protect the camera interior from the elements!!

It looks like you've got at least one loose wire in there as well, which is something to be very afraid of considering the dangerous voltages held in flash capacitors. I'd strongly suggest getting the wiring checked out by someone with decent electronics skills first, then you could probably get away with gluing another piece of plastic over the hole with waterproof epoxy. But DO NOT leave any wiring exposed in there -- you could badly hurt or even kill yourself with the voltage from a flash capacitor.

Edit: Just adding another line to be clear about how serious this is. Please, no matter how tempting it might be, DO NOT use that camera until you've got that exposed white wire made safe. Yes, it's possible that it might not be a wire that carries any voltage from the built-in flash capacitor, but the risk just isn't worth it.

Last edited by Dartmoor Dave; 03-29-2019 at 10:03 AM.
03-30-2019, 11:44 AM - 2 Likes   #4568
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If it were mine, I'd pinch a small piece of electrical tape over the disconnected wire, without letting any part of myself or anything that will conduct electricity touch the exposed part of the wire. Then I'd peer in and see whether I could see any other exposed, disconnected or broken wires.

If I didn't see anything, I'd cut a piece of black plumber's tape large enough to cover the open area in the top of the housing where the hot shoe used to be. After that I would see if the camera functions normally except for not having flash. I don't think I would try to use the built-in flash, since the wiring problem might have affected it, too.

Would the flash discharge kill a person...I personally wouldn't want to test it, but I doubt that it would. It's going to be high voltage, but low amperage. To use an analogy with water, voltage is like pressure, and amperage, or current, is like the amount of water being discharged. A squirt gun can develop high pressure, but the current of water it puts out is very small--it could irritate you, but not hurt you. But if you were hit by the water pressure a squirt gun can develop, but with the current that can pass through a firehose nozzle, it would probably knock you down, and might break bones.

Another high voltage, low current, electronic system is an electric fence, meant to contain livestock or to keep livestock from damaging a permanent fence. My electric fence charger puts a 10,000 volt charge on the fence wire very briefly every second or two. If you, or an animal, standing on the ground (which makes part of the circuit) happens to be touching the electrified wire at that moment, you or it gets zapped...but never killed. I accidentally touched the fence a few weeks back. Yikes, it was no fun. But it didn't damage me. It was over so fast I don't think I even had time to utter any colorful language. I bet the electric fence would set off an electronic flash tube. I'm not volunteering to test it though . I'm also not suggesting anyone should touch a charged capacitor in an electronic flash system. I'm just suggesting you might live it that happened.
03-30-2019, 12:08 PM - 1 Like   #4569
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
If it were mine, I'd pinch a small piece of electrical tape over the disconnected wire, without letting any part of myself or anything that will conduct electricity touch the exposed part of the wire. Then I'd peer in and see whether I could see any other exposed, disconnected or broken wires.

I haven't quoted your entire post purely to save space, but your words are all wise and all completely true. That's pretty much what I'd do if I had a camera in that condition too. But not knowing the level of knowledge of the member who asked the question, it seemed safer to make the risk of electric shock seem as nasty as possible. That way he can't come back and say we didn't warn him.
03-31-2019, 03:25 AM - 4 Likes   #4570
Pentaxian

My K10d is collecting dust with a Tamron 70-300mm attached to it. But it is still working. Two shots (second in macro mode which is surprisingly close)

03-31-2019, 05:50 PM   #4571
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

i may have a top for you .pm me I will look for it tomorrow

---------- Post added 03-31-19 at 08:51 PM ----------

pm me I may have a top for you will look tomorow
04-03-2019, 07:47 AM - 6 Likes   #4572
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In the woods with the F35-70:

...and with the DAL 55-300 [xposted elsewhere]:

04-03-2019, 08:23 AM - 2 Likes   #4573
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The Usual Suspects

Actually this is Tara Bassett’s Puppy Pack on her front porch taken with a K10D with old Sigma 75-200 push/pull zoom I inherited from my Dad. This was taken on December 16th, 2014, a few months after I gave up competitive hand gunning and transitioned back into a serious photography enthusiast. I had shot some photos that were published in a local glossy mag for a pet column with this rig a few months earlier.. Since then things have spiraled out of control.

I took two shots. In the first one they were staring at the front door waiting for Tara to come out. They heard the sound of the first shot and all turned their heads in time for the second.
Attached Images

Last edited by Perfessor5646; 04-03-2019 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Not enough words
04-05-2019, 02:28 AM - 6 Likes   #4574
Pentaxian

I had a chance to stop in Teignmouth for an hour yesterday, so I went for a walk along the sea wall. The train track is the main line up to London and I've been along it countless times as a passenger, but this was the first time I've ever walked alongside it. In a heavy storm the spray from waves hitting the sea wall will cascade right up over the tops of trains and crash down on them. I've experienced it several times and it's exactly as scary as it sounds, especially at night in pitch darkness.

Tak 20

Tak 17
04-05-2019, 06:27 PM   #4575
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The chainlink fence material draped down over the rock bluff must be to prevent falling rocks from bouncing out far enough to land on the tracks. There are some deep gorges in the US with highways going through them that have that fencing treatment.