Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12503 Likes Search this Thread
09-02-2019, 05:00 PM - 4 Likes   #4801
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
My one and only ergonomic gripe about the K10D/GX-10 is the lack of a dedicated ISO dial.
Isn't there a way to reassign one of the e-dials for iso?

QuoteOriginally posted by Mobusaki Quote
Wow! What a view, and the colors are spectacular.
Agree - nice!

View from the backyard lawn chair - DA18-55 on K10D:

09-02-2019, 10:29 PM - 1 Like   #4802
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote

Agree - nice!

View from the backyard lawn chair - DA18-55 on K10D:
Paul is correct! ISO can be mapped to either e-dial. Menu 4 of the "C" (Custom Setting) tab. That is how I have my K10 set up, ISO on one of the e-dials. I think the default is EV compensation, but since there is a dedicated button for EV comp, ISO on an e-dial is a suitable substitution for me.
09-03-2019, 12:04 AM - 6 Likes   #4803
Veteran Member

IMGP0506 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/134520424@N02/]
IMGP0515 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/134520424@N02/]
09-03-2019, 12:35 AM   #4804
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by grog85361 Quote
Paul is correct! ISO can be mapped to either e-dial. Menu 4 of the "C" (Custom Setting) tab. That is how I have my K10 set up, ISO on one of the e-dials. I think the default is EV compensation, but since there is a dedicated button for EV comp, ISO on an e-dial is a suitable substitution for me.

Thanks guys, but as far as I've ever been able to tell you can only set one of the wheels to ISO when you're using an autoexposure mode. In manual with an autofocus lens it uses one wheel for shutter and one for aperture, and with manual lenses it just uses one wheel for shutter and leaves the other doing nothing.

That's how it works on my GX-10 version anyway. If the official Pentax version does dedicate a wheel to ISO in manual mode with manual lenses, that would be a good enough reason for me to switch.

It seems like a real oversight by the firmware designers. When you're using a lens with its own aperture ring, why not default to one wheel controlling shutter speed and the other controlling ISO?

09-03-2019, 10:38 AM   #4805
Pentaxian

Yeah I just saw that the e-dial is not programmable during M mode, and I'm in the latest firmware. That is a bummer. As you said, in M mode the dial just doesn't do anything. It does look like an oversight.

The K20D fixed that, it used the same e-dial setting for TAv and M modes (just checked the manual to confirm, since I haven't had the K20D for over a couple of years now... I set it so the dial would be ISO but then I ended up not using it that much).
09-03-2019, 11:16 AM   #4806
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I never remember what the e-dials do. I'd be afraid of changing the iso by accident and shooting pictures at a different iso than I wanted because I thought it was something else. I understand, of course, that using an e-dial to change iso might be handy for others.

I also had trouble riding a 10-speed bicycle, discovering that I had a 3-speed brain or was it 3-speed physical coordination.
09-03-2019, 12:15 PM - 1 Like   #4807
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Got mine back too

Gave my original K-10 to daughter, and she gave it back because the screw (as in AF screw drive) is no longer screwing. I will use it for my Takumar 50 and 55 lenses. I have never been get them to auto-focus anyway, screw or no screw.

09-03-2019, 02:31 PM - 1 Like   #4808
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks guys, but as far as I've ever been able to tell you can only set one of the wheels to ISO when you're using an autoexposure mode. In manual with an autofocus lens it uses one wheel for shutter and one for aperture, and with manual lenses it just uses one wheel for shutter and leaves the other doing nothing.

That's how it works on my GX-10 version anyway. If the official Pentax version does dedicate a wheel to ISO in manual mode with manual lenses, that would be a good enough reason for me to switch.

It seems like a real oversight by the firmware designers. When you're using a lens with its own aperture ring, why not default to one wheel controlling shutter speed and the other controlling ISO?
Oops. I forgot about manual. I guess that is the price of doing it all yourself

Better than film days, though, I'm sure you remember: Changing ISO meant changing film!
09-03-2019, 03:07 PM - 3 Likes   #4809
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Of course, I am sure that the GX-10 is not identical to the K10D....in AV and TV modes I have customised the front wheel to ISO but in P and M modes if you press the OK button that puts you into ISO mode which can be changed by turning the front wheel. Does that work for you, Dave? Is that what you were looking for?

Last edited by rayallen; 09-03-2019 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Correct typo.
09-03-2019, 06:47 PM   #4810
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Gave my original K-10 to daughter, and she gave it back because the screw (as in AF screw drive) is no longer screwing. I will use it for my Takumar 50 and 55 lenses. I have never been get them to auto-focus anyway, screw or no screw.
I mainly use manual focus lenses on my K10D and my K110D. Since I got my K-R, I've mainly used autofocus lenses on it, and have added a few more AF lenses to my collection.
09-03-2019, 10:57 PM - 5 Likes   #4811
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

These are called Surprise Lilies - taken with the DA18-135 on K10D:
09-04-2019, 12:27 AM - 1 Like   #4812
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
but in P and M modes if you press the OK button that puts you into ISO mode which can be changed by turning the front wheel. Does that work for you, Dave? Is that what you were looking for?

Ray, you're a genius! I'd never heard about that functionality, or ever seen it in the manual anywhere, but it does indeed work on the GX-10 version too. Hold down the OK button in manual mode and the front wheel changes ISO!

You have my deepest thanks, my friend.
09-04-2019, 01:14 AM - 1 Like   #4813
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ray, you're a genius! I'd never heard about that functionality, or ever seen it in the manual anywhere, but it does indeed work on the GX-10 version too. Hold down the OK button in manual mode and the front wheel changes ISO!

It is my pleasure to be of assistance to you, Dave. It is in the K10D manual but it doesn't actually scream out at you. I have read that manual time and time again and I eventually found it. I can see you making great use of that "feechur".
09-04-2019, 05:28 AM - 1 Like   #4814
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Why I love Pentax Forum!
09-04-2019, 06:21 AM   #4815
Veteran Member

Wow, I read and read and read my manual, now I hear there are tricks I can do that aren't documented? I have the K-5, in M mode I know how you change ISO, but now I'm thinking there are some hidden gems like this for me too. Cool.