Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12492 Likes Search this Thread
05-21-2014, 03:59 AM   #496
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I shot some on my 2007 K10D at a 'Firewalk for Charity' starting at 2000hrs and light went quickly -- I tried 'RAW' and processed in FastStone Image viewer the DNG

Here is Brentwood's Deputy Mayor, Councillor Mark Reed -- you can see they actually do NOT walk in the flaming part but on a cinder path !

05-23-2014, 12:54 AM   #497
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Standard shemded, as long as you are having fun!
05-23-2014, 12:58 AM   #498
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PaulieHun Quote
Awesome thread with some great shots. Only had my K10D for a few weeks now and it's my first DSLR so this is all new to me. Anyway here's a few I took with a Sigma 100-300, 4.5-6.7 UC. Not real sure if they're up to standard so any feedback happily accepted.
Congratulation on your purchase - that body still can deliver! Take it slowly and as tromboads says have a fun with it From your shots I like the last one - nice K10D colors there - both bird shots seems a bit out of focus or shaken - but you are on your way for sure ! It just takes some practice to shoot with long glass.
' >' manntax
05-25-2014, 05:50 PM   #499

Hi everyone,
Lots of wonderful photos in this tread.
I bought my K10D (used) in September last year as a replacement for my K200D that died in August. Loosing the K200D was awful but the K10D did replace it easily.
Only one little problem with it. The split prism in the viewfinder is not adjusted very properly there is a small difference with focus confirmation hexagon, no problem at f/8 but at 1.4 I better watch out.

So here are a few shots I made recently

Olympus Zuiko 50/1.8

2014-05-20 991
by pdophoto, on Flickr

Olympus Zuiko 50/1.8

2014-05-20 990
by pdophoto, on Flickr

Pentax-A 50/1.7 and flash

2014-05-10 936
by pdophoto, on Flickr

05-25-2014, 05:56 PM   #500
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
The split prism in the viewfinder is not adjusted very properly there is a small difference with focus confirmation hexagon, no problem at f/8 but at 1.4 I better watch out.
that can be an easy fix... firstly is the focus screen accurate or is the hexagon accurate. both can be adjusted and corrected. Also bare in mind that many focus screens cant actually tell the difference below f2.8...
05-25-2014, 06:37 PM   #501
Veteran Member

I'll jump in a throw a little love to the K10D. I'm a film shooter foremost, but last fall I purchased a second-hand K10D and 18-55 lens in hopes my wife would join me in my SRL fun. She had been using a couple digital point and shoots, a Pentax H-90 and an Olympus. The camera arrived with the 18-55mm kit lens and I also picked up a 50-200mm lens to cover a broader focal length.

As it turns out, my wife didn't really care much for the SLR world, so I've decided to use the K10D myself. I'm still getting acustomed to using the camera, but so far, I like the results.

Here are some samples - all using the DA 50-200mm and right out of the camera...

cheers,
Fred

Last edited by hollywoodfred; 05-26-2014 at 04:06 AM. Reason: spelling, as usual.
05-26-2014, 01:12 AM   #502
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hollywoodfred Quote
Here are some samples - all using the DA 50-200mm and right out of the camera...
These are really fine examples Fred! Congratulation on your purchase - looks like your K10D is delivering ! Also the focusing seems to be spot on - have you changed or adjusted it in any way ot was it that accurate out of the box? My both K10D had serious focusing issues - and my first one which was new I continued using with bad backfocus for some years before I discovered that it was possible to fix that. From things worth mentioning is the dust on your sensor. No problem below f5.6 but after than it starts to show - particularly in your duck picture there is some dust visible - it might be worth the effort to use some rocket blower to blow the dust off just in case it happens in a place not easy to correct with cloning.
' >' manntax

05-26-2014, 04:34 AM   #503
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
These are really fine examples Fred! Congratulation on your purchase - looks like your K10D is delivering ! Also the focusing seems to be spot on - have you changed or adjusted it in any way ot was it that accurate out of the box? My both K10D had serious focusing issues - and my first one which was new I continued using with bad backfocus for some years before I discovered that it was possible to fix that. From things worth mentioning is the dust on your sensor. No problem below f5.6 but after than it starts to show - particularly in your duck picture there is some dust visible - it might be worth the effort to use some rocket blower to blow the dust off just in case it happens in a place not easy to correct with cloning.
' >' manntax

Thanks manntax for the feedback. Regarding the focusing, I've had to do nothing. My K10D was purchased second-hand and the previous owner had installed a Katz Eye focusing screen. Perhaps they addressed any focusing issues then. I also appreciate the tip to blow off the dust. I hadn't even noticed until after I posted the pics, that every shot has those same marks. Today I plan to investigate. My first thought was marks on the lens, but I'll clean the sensor first.
05-26-2014, 05:35 AM   #504
Veteran Member

Thanks manntax for the feedback. Regarding the focusing, I've had to do nothing. My K10D was purchased second-hand and the previous owner had installed a Katz Eye focusing screen. Perhaps they addressed any focusing issues then. I also appreciate the tip to blow off the dust. I hadn't even noticed until after I posted the pics, that every shot has those same marks. Today I plan to investigate. My first thought was marks on the lens, but I'll clean the sensor first.
Huh a K10D with Katz eye installed ( or any other decent split screen screen ) is a pleasure to use indeed ! Looks like your K10D was used by some manual glass lover :P - good luck with the sensor - that would be my first guess if it comes to those black spots. They seem to be quite large so fairly easy to blow off.
' >' manntax
05-26-2014, 05:47 AM   #505
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pdophoto Quote
Hi everyone,
Lots of wonderful photos in this tread.
I bought my K10D (used) in September last year as a replacement for my K200D that died in August. Loosing the K200D was awful but the K10D did replace it easily.
Only one little problem with it. The split prism in the viewfinder is not adjusted very properly there is a small difference with focus confirmation hexagon, no problem at f/8 but at 1.4 I better watch out.

So here are a few shots I made recently

Olympus Zuiko 50/1.8

2014-05-20 991
by pdophoto, on Flickr

Olympus Zuiko 50/1.8

2014-05-20 990
by pdophoto, on Flickr

Pentax-A 50/1.7 and flash

2014-05-10 936
by pdophoto, on Flickr
Some excellent shots with this classic camera--if any digital camera can be labelled as a classic! I still like the K-10, something about the rendering of its processor. I have a K-20 with Katzeye, but I actually find that I do not use it as much for manual glass as I use the focussing green spot and its nice little beep and/or the catch in focus feature.
05-26-2014, 03:24 PM   #506

QuoteOriginally posted by tromboads Quote
that can be an easy fix... firstly is the focus screen accurate or is the hexagon accurate. both can be adjusted and corrected. Also bare in mind that many focus screens cant actually tell the difference below f2.8...
Thanks for your comment. I would have to test to know which of the screen or hexagon is more accurate. I will try to do it ASAP and I will come back on how to fix the problem.

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Some excellent shots with this classic camera--if any digital camera can be labelled as a classic! I still like the K-10, something about the rendering of its processor. I have a K-20 with Katzeye, but I actually find that I do not use it as much for manual glass as I use the focusing green spot and its nice little beep and/or the catch in focus feature.
Thank you very much. I don't know which split screen is installed in my K10D. For focusing I usually align the prisms and then go for the hexagon.
05-29-2014, 11:58 AM   #507
Veteran Member

Although this was already posted in K-01 with lenses mounted - and in the Zeiss Flektogon 35mm lens club - I thought it should appear also here - since the shot was done with my trusted K10D

' >' manntax
06-01-2014, 05:12 PM   #508
Veteran Member

I took the K10D out for a spin after a little cleaning (thanks again manntax) with my new rocket blower. Here's a sequence I wanted to share...

The meeting...

The taunt...

The battle...

cheers,
Fred
06-01-2014, 11:31 PM   #509
Veteran Member

I took the K10D out for a spin after a little cleaning (thanks again manntax) with my new rocket blower. Here's a sequence I wanted to share...
Some captivating scenes you got there Have you focused manually or with autofocus / AF confirmation - because in latter case it might mean that with this lens your K10D is back focusing really badly. If you look closely you will see that the most sharpness is far back on that fence.
' >' manntax
06-02-2014, 02:15 AM   #510
Veteran Member

These were shot with autofocus. I'm not fast enough at manual focus to capture that sequence.

I assumed the lack of sharpness was due to early evening light (or lack thereof), the ISO 400 sensitivity limit I set, and the movement of the goats. I used the DA 50-200 lens, and I can tell you that it hunts quite a bit.

It looks like I have some research to do - back focus is a new term for this old film shooter.