Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12503 Likes Search this Thread
12-14-2019, 04:23 PM   #5251
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
An elderly gentleman bracing himself on his walking stick while his wife rubs on some Preparation H for him?

The photo of the trumpeter is epic. Wonderful light.
Well, when you put it like that...

That’s for the kind words

12-16-2019, 11:36 AM - 8 Likes   #5252
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Carpinteria Bluffs, Calif. DA18-135 on K10D:

12-16-2019, 04:14 PM - 5 Likes   #5253
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Playing in the backyard with our dead tomato plant and my new lens, Takumar 24mm 3.5. Maybe went a little overkill with the flare but I thought it was cool amber colors

Also, a question for y'all: I can't seem to get my cheap M42 adapter off my K10D now. I have successfully used it on several cameras and could get it off but now it's not budging on the K10D. Any ideas? Ever had that problem before?

12-17-2019, 03:34 AM   #5254
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Snapppy Quote
Also, a question for y'all: I can't seem to get my cheap M42 adapter off my K10D now. I have successfully used it on several cameras and could get it off but now it's not budging on the K10D. Any ideas? Ever had that problem before?
Does it have the metal spring clip on it still?

I have found they can make removal of the M42 adapters quite tricky.

12-17-2019, 05:42 AM - 1 Like   #5255
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Playing in the backyard with our dead tomato plant and my new lens, Takumar 24mm 3.5. Maybe went a little overkill with the flare but I thought it was cool amber colors

Flare is not always a bad thing. On a lens that has it, it is easy enough to control but if your lens is one of the new ones that have virtually eliminated it. there is nothing you can do if you want to include it in your composition.

Last edited by gaweidert; 12-17-2019 at 06:17 AM.
12-17-2019, 05:52 AM   #5256
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Does it have the metal spring clip on it still?

I have found they can make removal of the M42 adapters quite tricky.
Yes it does. So, you're saying once (if) I get it off, to remove that clip? I never even thought of that.
12-17-2019, 06:43 AM - 1 Like   #5257
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes it does. So, you're saying once (if) I get it off, to remove that clip? I never even thought of that.
On a non-Pentax adapter many remove it. Just keep in mind when focusing that it may rotate the adapter.

12-17-2019, 11:58 AM - 1 Like   #5258
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My brother Tom picking his way across Santa Paula Creek. DA18-135 on K10D:

12-17-2019, 01:16 PM   #5259
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by simple1 Quote
On a non-Pentax adapter many remove it. Just keep in mind when focusing that it may rotate the adapter.
I have a couple of non-Pentax adapters. I put the adapter on the lens and leave it there, so each lens has a dedicated adapter, essentially turning it into a K-mount.

I removed the spring clip from all my adapters. I have never had a problem with the lens coming loose during focusing. They fit very snugly and normal use doesn't affect them. May impression is that they are just as secure as the M42 lens was on my Spotmatic. There was no locking mechanism on that camera or those lenses and I never had a problem with the lenses falling off or coming loose.

I know that many here swear by the OEM Pentax adapter and swear AT the non-OEM ones. Personally, I have never had a problem. As always, YMMV.
12-17-2019, 07:10 PM   #5260
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Yes.

I, like others have mentioned here, remove the spring clip, and then tightly mount the adapter on my M42 lenses, using a drop of Loctite 242 threadlocker, making them permanently K mount.

The non Pentax adapters usually come with a "key" that can be used to remove the adapter from the camera side of the mount, and are also useful for releasing the spring where it locks the adapter into the mount on the camera.
12-17-2019, 07:35 PM   #5261
dbs
Pentaxian

Look on the bright side you now have a dedicated M42 camera........win..win......sort of....

Dave
12-17-2019, 07:39 PM   #5262
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Look on the bright side you now have a dedicated M42 camera........win..win......sort of....

Dave
Well, in that case I need to order another M42 adapter for my other cameras
12-17-2019, 07:45 PM   #5263
dbs
Pentaxian

Well, in that case I need to order another M42 adapter for my other cameras
How many M42 cameras do you need..?..

Sorry also get the Pentax one I know its dearer...but it seems to work

Dave
12-17-2019, 07:51 PM   #5264
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
How many M42 cameras do you need..?..

Sorry also get the Pentax one I know its dearer...but it seems to work

Dave
I'm tempted to after this... It's not that big of a deal on the K10D as can just keep using M42 lenses on it, but on my K-1 I would definitely like to switch.

I did more research and it seems my knock off one came with a different type of key, it's like half of what is shown in other pictures. Or maybe I'm just using it wrong. It doesn't work well anyway, but I'll have another go.
12-17-2019, 08:10 PM   #5265
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It doesn't work well anyway, but I'll have another go.
That is quite normal for those keys and the knock-off adapters. Keep trying. It will eventually work. I know because I have one too and after having so much trouble with it I then bought the genuine Pentax adapter which you can easily remove with a finger nail.

I have never used the non-genuine one again. They look identical but they obviously are not. The genuine one is far superior and well worth the extra money.