Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2020, 08:34 AM   #5326
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
One of these days I'm going to get my dream shot of a pony at moonrise, but this one definitely isn't it. If I'm lucky there's one night a year when the conditions are right, and then there's less than a five minute gap when the moon will be in the frame. . . and of course the darn ponies are constantly on the move. I think my big mistake with this one was to use the M200mm/4.0 on a 2X teleconverter, which forced me to use a tripod (which I hate), which meant that I couldn't keep up with the ponies as they moved around.

Next time it'll be the 200mm handheld then crop. Or of course it would be easy if I could afford to throw £5000 worth of the latest hi-tec gear at it. . .

(The dream shot is the moon just as it crosses the horizon, with a pony at just the right distance to be framed in silhouette within the orb.)
So pretty though! Wow! Those shots are so tricky to pull off. Love your other pony shot from the beginning of the year too.

01-12-2020, 01:02 PM - 3 Likes   #5327
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Biking at Carpinteria Bluffs, Calif. DA18-135 on K10D:
01-13-2020, 11:17 AM - 1 Like   #5328
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Fountain in Lisbon in 2010. K-10D and FA 28-80mm.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
01-13-2020, 11:31 AM - 4 Likes   #5329
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Residencial Varandas in the Alfama section of Lisbon in 2010.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
01-13-2020, 12:14 PM - 2 Likes   #5330
Pentaxian

I don't know if this has been posted before - but someone with access to tons of cameras (from Fujis to Leicas) wrote a blog entry that is basically an ode to the K10D: PHOTOGRAPHIC CENTRAL: Pentax K10D- Revisiting Simpler and Practical Photography

It's not even his favorite Pentax camera (he lists the K-5IIs as that) but it sounds like he's pretty excited about what he gets from it. Best parts are how he enjoys using it up to ISO 1600, the ergonomics of shooting two-handed (Pentax DOES care about how photographers feel!) and how 10MP is good enough for excellent prints even at 20"x30". I enjoyed reading it
01-13-2020, 12:20 PM - 1 Like   #5331
Pentaxian

By the way, if someone is wondering why I haven't posted much - my SD card reader broke and the USB ports don't work. I need a new computer ... then you might see a flood of K10D pictures, including new ones with my new-to-me DA 35mm f/2.8 Limited. I sold the LX and the Vivitar 24 2.8 and this showed up for a price I couldn't resist - less than what I paid for my Plastic Fantastic 35 2.4 when I bought it new! The DA 21 will just have to wait a bit longer....
01-13-2020, 02:02 PM - 1 Like   #5332
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I don't know if this has been posted before - but someone with access to tons of cameras (from Fujis to Leicas) wrote a blog entry that is basically an ode to the K10D: PHOTOGRAPHIC CENTRAL: Pentax K10D- Revisiting Simpler and Practical Photography

It's not even his favorite Pentax camera (he lists the K-5IIs as that) but it sounds like he's pretty excited about what he gets from it. Best parts are how he enjoys using it up to ISO 1600, the ergonomics of shooting two-handed (Pentax DOES care about how photographers feel!) and how 10MP is good enough for excellent prints even at 20"x30". I enjoyed reading it
Thanks for posting that. I enjoyed reading it too He certainly likes the K10D, doesn't he? He should join these forums and this thread, if he hasn't already...

Honestly, I just find ISO 1600 too grainy and susceptible to banding, which shows up in his examples (but if he doesn't mind, it's all good). I'll happily shoot at ISO 800 if the need arises, though... Mostly, I stick to ISO 100 - 400 and that offers plenty of opportunities for fun...

01-13-2020, 02:21 PM   #5333
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for that link, CR. That was a very good read. He put into words most of the things that make me so fond of my K10D and why I still get so much joy and satisfaction from using it. And it was less than a year ago when he wrote that article.
It is no wonder why the K10d was so lauded when it first came onto the scene. I had been researching for a long time trying to decide on which camera to buy and the K10D was the first one that had all the features and specifications that I wanted. I have had it for over 12 years now and it is still going strong.

Last edited by rayallen; 01-13-2020 at 07:09 PM.
01-13-2020, 03:16 PM - 2 Likes   #5334
Pentaxian

I'm glad you guys enjoyed the link as much as I did. Since we're talking about how cool the K10D still is, let's remember that one time when some crazy college kids shot up a k10D into space in a research balloon at over 104,000 feet into near-vaccuum and -60F... and it kept on shooting, even while falling back on the ground after the balloon popped, and it kept going strong after that: ASTRO-09 | Flickr
01-13-2020, 03:30 PM - 1 Like   #5335
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm glad you guys enjoyed the link as much as I did. Since we're talking about how cool the K10D still is, let's remember that one time when some crazy college kids shot up a k10D into space in a research balloon at over 104,000 feet into near-vaccuum and -60F... and it kept on shooting, even while falling back on the ground after the balloon popped, and it kept going strong after that: ASTRO-09 | Flickr
Awesome!

There's "tough", and there's "Pentax tough"...
01-13-2020, 03:48 PM - 3 Likes   #5336
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Azaleas in the rain - Super Tak 35/3.5 on K10D:
01-14-2020, 03:19 PM - 1 Like   #5337
Pentaxian

I hadn't seen this article before, but I think it might be of interest here.

It's an article talking about the differences between CCD and CMOS... CCD versus CMOS: Which is Better? - Diffraction Limited : Diffraction Limited

And this picture, I think, sums up the entire argument - for me, about how I think CCDs are not identical to CMOS with just a slightly different readout method, as some state:

Cheers and keep filling those large buckets*

*You'll understand what I mean when you read the article...

Last edited by ChristianRock; 01-15-2020 at 01:53 PM.
01-15-2020, 01:19 PM - 1 Like   #5338
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Harbor flowers - DA18-135 on K10D:
01-16-2020, 02:34 AM - 1 Like   #5339
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I hadn't seen this article before, but I think it might be of interest here.

It's an article talking about the differences between CCD and CMOS... CCD versus CMOS: Which is Better? - Diffraction Limited : Diffraction Limited

And this picture, I think, sums up the entire argument - for me, about how I think CCDs are not identical to CMOS with just a slightly different readout method, as some state:

Cheers and keep filling those large buckets*

*You'll understand what I mean when you read the article...

Great article that gives a good clear explanation of two key differences in the CCD: the bigger light gathering area per pixel and the consistency given by the single set of readout electronics.

A thing that's really struck me from the other recent thread where a member asked about getting a K10D was the assumptions made in some of the replies. There was a clear assumption that the only reason we could still be using the K10D/GX-10 is that we're ignorant newbies who are unaware of all the features found in newer cameras. So that all they had to do was inform of us what we're missing, and we'd see the error of our ways and all start using CMOS cameras.

I think by the end we'd managed between us to get the point across that actually we know exactly what we're doing and why, and that it's a personal aesthetic choice that we're free to make.
01-16-2020, 08:49 AM - 3 Likes   #5340
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Flowers and tile adorning a building in Lisbon in 2010.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo