Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2020, 02:16 PM - 2 Likes   #5371
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
That one really is stunning. The way the colour of the stone around the pool blends into the reds in the sky, the way the water in the far end of the pool seems almost to become part of the clouds, the fantastic angular composition -- everything. Magnificent stuff, Ray.
Many, many thanks, Dave. I appreciate your kind words. It was worth finding this image and processing it. The pool deck is floodlit so that helps a lot. The angular composition is enhanced by the 10-24mm Tamron. The K10D's CCD sensor also played a part plus I am sure that my processing skills have improved between 2011 and now. I am pleased that you like how it all came together.

---------- Post added 22-01-20 at 08:26 AM ----------

So my new year's resolution was to start putting some solid blacks back into my photos. (Tak 20)

I watched a video on that subject recently. I am not convinced that too much solid black is desirable but neither is complete shadow recovery. It's a fine line that only the photographer can decide is appropriate because he/she was there at the time. Shadows can be part of the story the image tells but revealing part of the details can tell more. How much to reveal is up to you.

---------- Post added 22-01-20 at 09:03 AM ----------

Sun on the wires. I saw this scene yesterday on my morning walk and decided that I would be there at the same time today with my camera. I have always wanted to take an image like this and now I have. I think I could do even better but this one will do for now. Pentax K10D and Sigma 17-70mm

01-21-2020, 03:56 PM   #5372
Pentaxian

Looking back over the past few years of snaps in December, I decided that I'd become too obsessed with shadow recovery. So my new year's resolution was to start putting some solid blacks back into my photos. (Tak 20)

Very nice, Dave. I like it, it looks natural! Though I don't know if I could resist getting just a little bit more detail in this case. But this is also something I have been thinking about recently and I've seen some articles about it, though right now I can't find any...

The K10D actually spoils us more than people think it does, the dynamic range is more than adequate for any real world photography up to ISO 200. It's actually easy to lift too much!
01-22-2020, 02:15 AM   #5373
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
I watched a video on that subject recently. I am not convinced that too much solid black is desirable but neither is complete shadow recovery. It's a fine line that only the photographer can decide is appropriate because he/she was there at the time. Shadows can be part of the story the image tells but revealing part of the details can tell more. How much to reveal is up to you.
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Very nice, Dave. I like it, it looks natural! Though I don't know if I could resist getting just a little bit more detail in this case. But this is also something I have been thinking about recently and I've seen some articles about it, though right now I can't find any...

I think in my own case it'll take a bit of time to recalibrate my eyes. All I know is that, looking back through my shots for the whole decade from 2010-2019, I felt that as my processing became more and more oriented towards higher dynamic range my photos got more and more boring. Inevitably at first I'll go too far towards lots of high contrast solid blacks, but hopefully I'll find some sort of balance eventually.

And -- Shock! Horror! -- I think I might start moving towards using more up-to-date lenses with a higher contrast look.
01-22-2020, 07:48 AM - 1 Like   #5374
Pentaxian

And -- Shock! Horror! -- I think I might start moving towards using more up-to-date lenses with a higher contrast look.
Actually... you might not really have to.
With the older less contrasty lenses you'll get more details in the shadows naturally, and won't have to lift up - you'll have a more natural look, without needing to to increase shadow detail.
This is all speculation on my part, I'm sure you know your lenses better than I do but that's how I think it might work out... just try what you have for a while while keeping the dynamic range natural, "as the eye sees it".

While I'm at it, let me say that I do NOT think your pictures have been boring lately. Quite the opposite... so I'm thinking you're just pursuing your artistic vision, but please don't think your work has been lacking in quality or awesomeness - at least in my humble opinion it hasn't...

01-22-2020, 02:05 PM - 1 Like   #5375
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
While I'm at it, let me say that I do NOT think your pictures have been boring lately. Quite the opposite... so I'm thinking you're just pursuing your artistic vision, but please don't think your work has been lacking in quality or awesomeness - at least in my humble opinion it hasn't...
Yeah, what he said. Never boring, just high quality and awesome.
01-22-2020, 02:29 PM - 1 Like   #5376
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
+ 2

Dave your photos are never boring....it is our only chance to see your part of the world.

Dave
01-22-2020, 04:34 PM - 2 Likes   #5377
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

tangelos in the rain - Super Tak 35/3.5 on K10D:
01-23-2020, 02:01 AM   #5378
Pentaxian

Folks, you're all too kind and I'm touched by your words.

01-23-2020, 09:26 AM   #5379
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Folks, you're all too kind and I'm touched by your words.
Dave,

I'm just curious. How did you learn your craft, with Pentax no less, in what seems to be a photographic (not to mention pony!) wasteland in Kings Park?

Last edited by subsea; 01-23-2020 at 09:34 AM.
01-23-2020, 10:25 AM - 6 Likes   #5380
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by subsea Quote
Dave,

I'm just curious. How did you learn your craft, with Pentax no less, in what seems to be a photographic (not to mention pony!) wasteland in Kings Park?

But the light is beautiful in Kings Park! If the K10D Club will forgive me for some very old photos most definitely not taken with a K10D, I'll tell you about it. . .

In my Kings Park Senior High School days I felt that somehow I just had to find a way to capture the effects of the light that I saw all around me. So after many hopeless efforts with a Kodak 110 and an Agfa Rapid from the flea market, I decided that I needed an SLR. Here's the first frame from the first ever roll that I shot with my new Pentax K1000 on Christmas Day 1980:

Then, like everyone else around here, it was just lots of trial and a whole heap of error. But at least I had Sunken Meadow and the Bluff to take snaps of:

Eventually I decided to study film-making at New York Tech and learnt lots of really important stuff like why you need to use a proper light meter, and it was then that I discovered Kodachrome. But in 1986 I decided to visit the land of my birth for a summer and ended up staying (and yes, a lithesome young lady was involved in that decision). By the late eighties I was a professional photographer here in Devon, but it was making me hate the sight of a camera, so I gave it up for a steady paycheck in the travel industry. I ended up as a national air fares and ticketing manager, but I was living with a heavy-duty and long-untreated dose of rapid cycling bipolar disorder that eventually put paid to that proposition. So now I live alone on Dartmoor with the peace and quiet I need, and I take lots of photos of ponies.

(Oops, might have over-shared there.)

Sorry for the long autobiographical post. It would be great to hear some tales of love and woe from our other K10D Club friends too.
01-23-2020, 12:54 PM - 4 Likes   #5381
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

---------- Post added 23-01-20 at 20:56 ----------

K10D and FA 50mm f/1.4.

01-23-2020, 02:18 PM   #5382
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

But the light is beautiful in Kings Park! If the K10D Club will forgive me for some very old photos most definitely not taken with a K10D, I'll tell you about it. . .

In my Kings Park Senior High School days I felt that somehow I just had to find a way to capture the effects of the light that I saw all around me. So after many hopeless efforts with a Kodak 110 and an Agfa Rapid from the flea market, I decided that I needed an SLR. Here's the first frame from the first ever roll that I shot with my new Pentax K1000 on Christmas Day 1980:

Then, like everyone else around here, it was just lots of trial and a whole heap of error. But at least I had Sunken Meadow and the Bluff to take snaps of:

Eventually I decided to study film-making at New York Tech and learnt lots of really important stuff like why you need to use a proper light meter, and it was then that I discovered Kodachrome. But in 1986 I decided to visit the land of my birth for a summer and ended up staying (and yes, a lithesome young lady was involved in that decision). By the late eighties I was a professional photographer here in Devon, but it was making me hate the sight of a camera, so I gave it up for a steady paycheck in the travel industry. I ended up as a national air fares and ticketing manager, but I was living with a heavy-duty and long-untreated dose of rapid cycling bipolar disorder that eventually put paid to that proposition. So now I live alone on Dartmoor with the peace and quiet I need, and I take lots of photos of ponies.

(Oops, might have over-shared there.)

Sorry for the long autobiographical post. It would be great to hear some tales of love and woe from our other K10D Club friends too.
Nice story, Dave! I must say that your efforts have resulted in some superb photos that we all enjoy seeing.
01-23-2020, 02:40 PM   #5383
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just playing around with the A 70-210, 1/1000 @ f/8, ISO 1600. on a very cloudy day.
01-23-2020, 03:23 PM   #5384
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oops, might have over-shared there
Good stuff, Dave and thanks for over-sharing

---------- Post added 01-23-20 at 05:52 PM ----------

Bright sun and dark clouds - DA18-135 on K10D:
01-24-2020, 02:10 PM   #5385
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Solar power collectors on the horizon in Spain in 2010. FA 28-80mm @ 28mm.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo