Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2020, 07:11 AM   #5506
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Now I have one K10d I am after another one.
Did not succeed to persuade the lady seller to hand over the camera for the nickels and dimes I had in mind.
She told me people were asking all sorts of questions she did not understand.
Since I had no chance to get her camera for the amount I had in mind I informed her about the new interest for the K10d.
I hope she finds a buyer who appreciates the K10d.

03-04-2020, 08:41 AM   #5507
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fluegel Quote
Now I have one K10d I am after another one.
Did not succeed to persuade the lady seller to hand over the camera for the nickels and dimes I had in mind.
She told me people were asking all sorts of questions she did not understand.
Since I had no chance to get her camera for the amount I had in mind I informed her about the new interest for the K10d.
I hope she finds a buyer who appreciates the K10d.
Was she asking too much for it? The going rate is anywhere from 90-140 dollars, I think - that is from one that is in good condition but has been used quite a bit, to one that is basically almost mint.
03-04-2020, 03:51 PM - 1 Like   #5508
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Christian,

Bargaining is my nature, I simply can not help it.
I paid 70 $ for a near mint low clicks, only 5400, K10d.
The camera came fitted with a special focusing screen by KatzEye.
The original screen and the tool to change the screen are with the camera.
The Sigma 18-50 3,5/5.6 lens is a bonus.
This kind of luck will not be easy to repeat. I can only try.

I used the camera for the first time today.
After many years with a K20d it feels like being home again.
The K10d is most welcome in my hands.
Had dinner in a local pub. Took the camera with me.
The place is only modestly lit. Set the K10d at 1600 ISO, that is all I did.
Took some pictures ih the pub.
Very pleased with the results. AF speed and accuracy did not disappoint me.
Slow shutterspeeds did not give a problem.

The KatzEye screen is well worth the money it did cost years ago.
I like the split and the lines that help to compose an image.

Now the fun part can start!
03-04-2020, 04:40 PM - 3 Likes   #5509
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

View of the Topatopa Mtns at sunset. DA18-135 on K10D:

03-06-2020, 07:33 AM   #5510
Pentaxian

03-06-2020, 05:18 PM   #5511
Pentaxian

Well I joint the club today. I have a K70 and before that a K-S2(died) and my first DSLR was the K2000(still work great). I still have the K2000 and the K70 is my primary. So I got the K10D for $60 with a Battery grip and it seems to work...except...
1) a previous owner painter the Pentax name black (I hate that). I'll probably scrape out the black and repaint with a white paint stick.
And more importantly...
2) the exposure metering seems about 2 stops too low. I can get decent exposure with exp comp +2 or in manual mode using an external meter.
Question... Is there any way to calibrate the metering? Or any way to fix this with setting other than exp comp?
Also...is there a way to wipe the camera back to factory settings? I tried reset but it seemed to leave most settings as they were.

Thanks

03-06-2020, 06:22 PM - 1 Like   #5512
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tonyzoc Quote
Well I joint the club today. I have a K70 and before that a K-S2(died) and my first DSLR was the K2000(still work great). I still have the K2000 and the K70 is my primary. So I got the K10D for $60 with a Battery grip and it seems to work...except...
1) a previous owner painter the Pentax name black (I hate that). I'll probably scrape out the black and repaint with a white paint stick.
And more importantly...
2) the exposure metering seems about 2 stops too low. I can get decent exposure with exp comp +2 or in manual mode using an external meter.
Question... Is there any way to calibrate the metering? Or any way to fix this with setting other than exp comp?
Also...is there a way to wipe the camera back to factory settings? I tried reset but it seemed to leave most settings as they were.

Thanks
I got the badge cleaned up nicely.

03-06-2020, 06:32 PM   #5513
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To begin with the last question: The menu gives you the option return to factory settings.
When you follow instructions the K10d memory should be completely empty.

I have heard the question about deviation of the metering system before.
Have you tried the options that can be selected with the control under the knob that selects the operating mode?
You can select spot metering, weighed metering and 11 point average. What method does the camera show now?
Some lenses are prone to stray light, a shade helps prevent problems that can lead to under exposure.

Last edited by Fluegel; 03-06-2020 at 06:44 PM.
03-06-2020, 07:07 PM   #5514
Pentaxian

To begin with the last question: The menu gives you the option return to factory settings.
When you follow instructions the K10d memory should be completely empty.

I have heard the question about deviation of the metering system before.
Have you tried the options that can be selected with the control under the knob that selects the operating mode?
You can select spot metering, weighed metering and 11 point average. What method does the camera show now?
Some lenses are prone to stray light, a shade helps prevent problems that can lead to under exposure.
I must have clicked cancel on the reset. When I did it again everything was cleared. I've tried all 3 metering method and exposure ratings are consistently off. As for the lenses, I've tried several and the problem is constant and the same lenses meter correctly on my K70. I can probably live with the 2 stop error, or maybe I'll find another K10D.

03-06-2020, 07:45 PM   #5515
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you need the 2 stop correction as standard you have no alternative to correct situations that need 1 or two stops more light.
The calibration can be reset I think. The question is is it worth the money. K10D bodies can still be found for friendly prices.
03-06-2020, 08:08 PM   #5516
Pentaxian

If you need the 2 stop correction as standard you have no alternative to correct situations that need 1 or two stops more light.
The calibration can be reset I think. The question is is it worth the money. K10D bodies can still be found for friendly prices.
Definitely not...I can find another body for $50-100 easy enough. Actually I've been playing with this camera today and it more like 1.5 stops under and when I shoot with exposure comp the results are pretty good. I've also found the AWB doesn't seem to work. Indoors in getting an orange tint and if I switch to tungsten lighting whites are correct. So it has some problems but is still usable. Actually I kinda like my k2000 more... Same 10.2 MP CCD and allot lighter and compact. I used to have battery problems with the K2009 but since getting 2 sets on eneloop pros it's been great.

03-07-2020, 10:00 AM   #5517
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Eneloops beat most battery problems, excellent choice.

Today I escaped from a stupid idea to bid for a Sony F828 camera. I was attracted to the Zeiss lens which is just a license from Zeiss to Sony and the fact that the Sony has a CCD.
Pentax was way ahead of Sony in those days.
The Sony camera is useless even at 400 ISO.
The noiselevel is extreme. That is what DP review forgot to mention. The more I read about Sony the more I like and appreciate Pentax cameras and lenses.
The K10d is an underated camera. Who needs more than 10 MP?
03-07-2020, 11:50 AM   #5518
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Spring scene, taken by my wife at a park in Grapevine TX. FA28-80 on K10D:
03-07-2020, 12:26 PM - 1 Like   #5519
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Paul,
Your wife is serious competion for you.
03-07-2020, 01:31 PM - 1 Like   #5520