Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2020, 01:06 AM - 1 Like   #5911
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
I wonder how far I could go with replying to my own posts with torrents of raging personal abuse aimed at myself before the mods stepped in?
I feel that we might be about to find out!

06-15-2020, 01:15 AM - 2 Likes   #5912
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
I feel that we might be about to find out!

Oh yeah. Next photo that Dartmoor Dave guy posts, I'm gonna rip him to shreds.
06-15-2020, 01:33 AM - 2 Likes   #5913
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know what you mean about that certain quality that the K10D and the K20D had, having owned both those cameras before getting a K3 and more recently a KP. The photos have a slightly grainy dreamy look to them with soft colours and I wish I had kept mine, I may have to look on E-Bay 😉. It just proves that this constant need to upgrade your camera gear is all rather silly and cameras of 10 or 20 years ago can still produce fabulous photos as indeed can many other simpler cameras and give a different and unique image quality missing from some modern cameras.....Now time to scour the web!
06-15-2020, 01:33 AM - 2 Likes   #5914
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh yeah. Next photo that Dartmoor Dave guy posts, I'm gonna rip him to shreds.
Hardly seems worth the effort! The GX-10 seems to be perfect for shooting second rate pony pictures!

Oh, wait a minute... the pictures haven't been exactly what I would call second rate, and I don't think there's any such thing as a second rate pony, so... I guess we can put up with the second rate ramblings coming from that corner of the forum!

06-15-2020, 01:54 AM   #5915
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Hello All,
This thread is dedicated to a very important part of the Pentax DSLR history; The venerable K10D.
The 'Ten' is significant in many ways; Introduced in late 2006, it featured a CCD sensor of 10.2MP, ISO range of 100-1600 and had AF assist with SDM lenses. It was the first Pentax DSLR with shake reduction, dust removal, had 2 control wheels and used a D-L150 lithium battery rather than 4 x AA's. These were all upgrades from the previous flagship model, the *ist DS2. It came in a sturdy, somewhat squared-off body design that contrasted with the popular curved designs of the time. There was an optional BG2 battery grip available which doubled the shooting time, had a vertical-position shutter release and duplicated the main exposure controls and wheels in portrait orientation.
The K10D garnered great reviews from many testers and won several major awards, including the 'Best Expert Digital SLR' 2007 from TIPA, European Camera Of The Year, American Photo's Editor's Choice for 'Best Advanced Digital SLR' and the prestigious Camera Grand Prix 'Camera Of The Year' 2007. This award resulted in a limited edition brown 'Grand Prix' version by Pentax, released in 2007.
It was succeeded by the K20D in 2008.
The MSRP for the K10D at launch was $1,379 US and the 'street' price around $900 - $1,000. The kit lens offered was the first version of the DA 18-55mm.
In features, MP and price, it compared to the Sony a100, Nikon D80, Canon Rebel XTi and Olympus E400. But the performance soon had it being tested (favorably!) against higher-priced models of the competition, like the Nikon D200 and Canon EOS 30D.
By modern standards, the specs are quite modest. AF sensitivity -1 to 18 EV, shutter speed 30s to 1/4000s, burst shooting rate 3 fps in jpeg, no HDR, no LV, no video capabilities, no lens correction, no TTL. The high-ISO performance is lacking, compared to the contemporary cameras.
Still, over time the respect for this fine digital body has grown widely. Used within its limitations, the CCD sensor delivers RAW images that are truly magical and if the ISO is kept at the lower end, the colors, saturation and rendering are unmatched for beauty. It can be, under ideal conditions, more film-like in rendering than most CMOS-equipped cameras, even the most modern ones.
Hopefully this thread will provide a place for K10D users to discuss their experiences, and post examples of photos taken with the Ten.
The K10D lives on!
Ron
I traded my *ist Dl when the K10D came out and promised myself not to buy another DSLR until an FF Pentax was available. Unfortunately for my K10D Pentax did in 2016. Enter the K-1, away with the K10D. It has found a nice new home with my younger brother and he really adores his precious K10D. We are both happy shooters!
06-15-2020, 07:53 AM   #5916
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Argos Quote
I traded my *ist Dl when the K10D came out and promised myself not to buy another DSLR until an FF Pentax was available. Unfortunately for my K10D Pentax did in 2016. Enter the K-1, away with the K10D. It has found a nice new home with my younger brother and he really adores his precious K10D. We are both happy shooters!
Having a newer Pentax camera (or two) hasn't kept me from keeping a K10D around
06-15-2020, 10:29 AM - 1 Like   #5917
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Stuff lying around...Super Tak 28/3.5 on K10D:

06-15-2020, 02:34 PM - 3 Likes   #5918
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Stuff lying around...Super Tak 28/3.5 on K10D:

Good to see that there are others out there still using an actual calculator instead of a phone app. Maybe it's a Takumar shooter sort of thing? And presumably the few remaining wet plate collodion photographers prefer an abacus.
06-15-2020, 05:43 PM - 3 Likes   #5919
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I found these images while searching through my laptop for something else. They were taken in 2012 with a Takumar lens according to the EXIF but I don't recall which one. I am guessing maybe 28mm or 24mm.
My K10D was less than 5 years old then (from when I bought it) and it is still producing images like these.

06-16-2020, 01:04 AM   #5920
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote

I see from your thread about polarisers that you've got a DA*16-50 to replace your 16-45. I really hope we'll get to see some shots with it on your K10D.
06-16-2020, 01:30 AM   #5921
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
The same goes for me. I couldn't imagine life without a K10D.
06-16-2020, 03:23 AM - 1 Like   #5922
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I suspect you already know this, but the Samsung GX-10 is a re-branded K10D with Samsung's own firmware (containing a visually different user interface), and a slight modification to the body shape that necessitates Samsung's own battery grip (the K10D grip won't fit without modification), which is becoming hard to find these days. Otherwise, it's the same camera; same sensor, same image quality, same functionality, same lens compatibility, and the same acceptance here in the "K10D Club" Since you're in France, you might find the GX-10 locally on eBay... or, they come up reasonably frequently on eBay UK. I mention it as an alternative, should the supply of K10Ds run dry in your region
Thanks for the help Mike.

I was lucky a couple of days ago.
Found a nice low mileage K10d in Germany.
Asking price from the trader was not bad.

Could not resist the old habit to knock a couple of euros off the price.
This is the link: Pentax K10D K-10D Gehäuse Body Topzustand nur 3900 Auslösungen #0673 | eBay

The link does not lead you straight to the ad. Click "Original Angebot" a little of center to find the camera.

Feel a bit funny not to be able to post images here.
That will be corrected asap by becoming a supporter of this forum.

Ray already saw this nice K10d.
He is green with envy
Well, that is his problem

Paul

Last edited by Fluegel; 06-16-2020 at 03:29 AM.
06-16-2020, 06:07 AM   #5923
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fluegel Quote
Thanks for the help Mike.
You're very welcome

I was lucky a couple of days ago.
Found a nice low mileage K10d in Germany.
Asking price from the trader was not bad.

Could not resist the old habit to knock a couple of euros off the price.
Congratulations

Feel a bit funny not to be able to post images here.
That will be corrected asap by becoming a supporter of this forum.
Paul, you should be able to post images here whether you're a site supporter or not. Adam (and other members) will appreciate your donation, of course, as it helps fund the hosting, running and support of this large and complex site for the benefit of us all. But, unless you've used up your storage limit already, you should already be able to attach photos directly to posts, or store them in your album and link to them. If you're having trouble with that, drop Adam a line in the Site Suggestions & Help forum and I'm sure he'll assist
06-16-2020, 06:45 AM - 1 Like   #5924
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
I found these images while searching through my laptop for something else. They were taken in 2012 with a Takumar lens according to the EXIF but I don't recall which one. I am guessing maybe 28mm or 24mm.
My K10D was less than 5 years old then (from when I bought it) and it is still producing images like these.

Outstanding clarity in these images! On the first one there's so much nice microcontrast I'm thinking it would be the Takumar 35mm f/3.5 - but probably the 28mm f/3.5 from what you're saying. The 2nd could be 24mm.

I see from your thread about polarisers that you've got a DA*16-50 to replace your 16-45. I really hope we'll get to see some shots with it on your K10D.
Ah yes. I was saving up for a DA 21mm for ages but with the DA 16-45 having that upper left corner really soft I put out an ad in the Wanted section to see what I could get... and I got a super deal on one in great condition. I figured I'd get offers because 1. A lot of people moved to the K-1 and 2. The replacement DA*16-50 was just announced... and wow, boy I did get a good one. No AF adjustments necessary and it's sharp at both 16mm and 50mm in the focus area. Rendering and color is on par with the DA 35 Limited, perhaps even a bit more pleasing to my eyes! And the fact that they didn't correct the CA too much means the bokeh is good - not just for a zoom, it's actually good, period.

I like how the Pentax designers thought - let's leave some CA uncorrected, which won't matter for the use cases of this lens (portraits, events and landscapes - people in the real world won't be using this to be shooting branches against the sky at f/2.8) so that the bokeh can be smooth and nice. People hung up on lens testing don't get this and buy the Tamron 17-50 with its horrible bokeh instead. I was considering the Tamron and it's a sharp lens that is selling very cheap nowadays, but comparing images from the Pentax and Tamron left me with absolutely no question that the Pentax 16-50 is the better lens. I preferred the colors and rendering and especially the bokeh every single time. So what if it doesn't please the people who only buy lenses to test charts in their basements or brick walls...

Ebay history shows that DA 16-50s have been selling at times for under 200 dollars... time to grab one

And I can't wait to use the 16-50 with the K10D. I studied K10D+16-50 images before I bought this and wow, such clarity Once I am able to get to my office, where I haven't been in months now, I should be able to have access to the K10D again....
06-16-2020, 01:20 PM - 1 Like   #5925
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
You're very welcome

Congratulations

Paul, you should be able to post images here whether you're a site supporter or not. Adam (and other members) will appreciate your donation, of course, as it helps fund the hosting, running and support of this large and complex site for the benefit of us all. But, unless you've used up your storage limit already, you should already be able to attach photos directly to posts, or store them in your album and link to them. If you're having trouble with that, drop Adam a line in the Site Suggestions & Help forum and I'm sure he'll assist
I am quite sure I used the available storage limit.
Probably uploaded too many shots of classic Hasselblad cameras.
I will see to it to donate a couple of euro's to the forum.
As soon as my finances allow I will use PayPal to do the transfer.