Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2020, 05:25 AM - 3 Likes   #5941
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RussV Quote
There's also a lake with full sized Victorian era dinosaurs, a bit unrealistic but paleontology was a new science then

I've wanted to visit those dinosaurs ever since I first saw them in a Blue Peter annual as a kid (In the John Noakes era). But I've still never got around to it, so. . . yet another item for the bucket list.

Edit:

God, the photos starting to appear with the new 85mm/1.4 are depressing. Like it's some kind of a contest to get every single thing in the frame out of focus except for one eyelash, because somehow 98% of the snappers on the planet have convinced themselves that maximum blurriness is what makes a portrait a portrait. Makes me despair for photography in the internet era.

(Sorry folks, I just needed to get that off my chest.)

Last edited by Dartmoor Dave; 06-22-2020 at 09:27 AM.
06-22-2020, 01:37 PM - 1 Like   #5942
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
I've wanted to visit those dinosaurs ever since I first saw them in a Blue Peter annual as a kid (In the John Noakes era). But I've still never got around to it, so. . . yet another item for the bucket list.

Edit:

God, the photos starting to appear with the new 85mm/1.4 are depressing. Like it's some kind of a contest to get every single thing in the frame out of focus except for one eyelash, because somehow 98% of the snappers on the planet have convinced themselves that maximum blurriness is what makes a portrait a portrait. Makes me despair for photography in the internet era.

Photo cliches abound on the internet. If I see another close up of water droplets refracting light on a CD I'll.............well I won't do anything but quietly groan
06-22-2020, 10:40 PM - 1 Like   #5943
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
At DD,

It gets even worse.
Portraits loaded with blurr effects in pp.
06-23-2020, 01:07 AM - 1 Like   #5944
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

Edit:

It is even worse over at the Bokeh Club: The Bokeh Club - PentaxForums.com

06-23-2020, 11:05 AM   #5945
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
It is even worse over at the Bokeh Club: The Bokeh Club - PentaxForums.com
But that's the whole point of the club .

Back in 2015 we had weeks of heavy rains, which caused major flooding at our local lake. Quantaray 28-90 on K10D:

06-23-2020, 11:53 AM   #5946
Pentaxian

I'm as guilty of doing crazy bokeh things as anyone but I've been trying to get away from it for the most part....
06-23-2020, 12:58 PM   #5947
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
But that's the whole point of the club .

Back in 2015 we had weeks of heavy rains, which caused major flooding at our local lake. Quantaray 28-90 on K10D:

Yes, my point exactly!

---------- Post added 06-23-20 at 03:59 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I'm as guilty of doing crazy bokeh things as anyone but I've been trying to get away from it for the most part....
Changing your aperture from f 1.2, 1.4, etc., up to say f 8.0, will make a good start. >)
06-23-2020, 01:12 PM   #5948
Pentaxian

The Bokeh Club thread is a good place to learn about the range of kinds of bokeh that are possible, and to learn which are to one's taste for certain kinds of pictures. It is also a good place to learn about lenses that may make it easier to get certain kinds of bokeh, as well as ones that aren't so good for that purpose. If you get a kind of bokeh you don't want, as in a picture where you wanted more things sharp, then of course, for you, the bokeh is a mistake. And we can also find that certain techniques are over-used, to the point of becoming annoying cliches. This can be especially true in other people's pictures. What is wrong with those people! For me, it's not bokeh, though I have my definite preferences about what makes good bokeh. I'm am more likely to be annoyed by over-pped pictures with terribly unnatural or over-saturated colors. In some cases, I think those are the product of people living in more southerly latitudes simply seeing the world that way, when my world is nothing like that. But why make excuses for them? i have a right to be annoyed don't I? Well, don't I ?

06-23-2020, 03:00 PM - 2 Likes   #5949
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
The Bokeh Club thread is a good place to learn about the range of kinds of bokeh that are possible, and to learn which are to one's taste for certain kinds of pictures. It is also a good place to learn about lenses that may make it easier to get certain kinds of bokeh, as well as ones that aren't so good for that purpose. If you get a kind of bokeh you don't want, as in a picture where you wanted more things sharp, then of course, for you, the bokeh is a mistake. And we can also find that certain techniques are over-used, to the point of becoming annoying cliches. This can be especially true in other people's pictures. What is wrong with those people! For me, it's not bokeh, though I have my definite preferences about what makes good bokeh. I'm am more likely to be annoyed by over-pped pictures with terribly unnatural or over-saturated colors. In some cases, I think those are the product of people living in more southerly latitudes simply seeing the world that way, when my world is nothing like that. But why make excuses for them? i have a right to be annoyed don't I? Well, don't I ?
Just to clarify, I like bokeh too, and shoot wide open probably much too often. My comments are all tongue in cheek.
06-23-2020, 11:19 PM - 5 Likes   #5950
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The new swan family on our lake. K10D and Tamron AF 70-300mm F4-5.6.

06-24-2020, 12:43 AM - 3 Likes   #5951
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
My comments are all tongue in cheek.

Same here. I always cringe when I suddenly realise that somebody out there in internet land might be taking my random eructations as serious pronouncements about what I think other photographers should be doing. I shoot with an out-of-date ten megapixel camera and at the moment nothing but the cheapest version of the kit lens, for crying out loud! How the heck could anyone ever take anything that I say seriously?
06-24-2020, 05:26 PM - 3 Likes   #5952
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well I do!

Because too much attention is being paid too gear matters in forums like this.
Nothing wrong with PF as a strongly gear based forum but lets not forget all we are after is great images.

Again I am amazed with the results in post 5950 from Ray Allen.
What comes back in my memory are the words from a poster, forgot who it was, to describe the IQ of the images that the K10d is able to deliver.
The poster mentioned the Kodachrome feeling when looking at images made with the K10d. I am inclined to agree with this poster.

Too much emphasis is given too specs of lenses and bodies. There is a strong resemblance with audio. Specs in audio whether it concerns analogue or digital can not predict the quality of the sound we hear. We simply do not have the right parameters to evaluate audio gear.
The only instruments that are able to tell us what is happening are our ears.

Same goes for image quality. The humble approach from Dartmoor Dave is not necessary. The K10d delivers excellent quality that is often not matched by bodies with more Mps.
Those bodies often offer better possibilities for AF and images at at high ISO settings. No doubt about it. But better quality images? I doubt it.

I am a two media guy with strong background in professional audio and photography and film. I recorded many great musical events, worked in studios from international music companies. Found major shortcomings in professional audio gear. Too often is forgotten that our ears are the only instruments we can rely on.

Same goes for photography and film. In the early eighties I was happy to start with digital when most of you were shooting film.
I used a 4 Mp digital back fitted behind a Hasselblad body. The commercial industry was asking for digitally recorded images not even thinking about the specs of those early digital backs. Much later companies like Canon and Nikon came with digital bodies with much more Mps.
The funny thing is those cameras could not register what was possible with lower grade medium format based digital gear.

My advice is trust your eyes and enjoy what you see. Do not bother too much about the gear that was used. I can only hope not all of PF will fall over me for that advice.

In 1976 I found a major design flaw in mixing consoles developed and produced by Polygram. Much later this design fault in electronic circuits was analysed and scientifically proved by two Finish scientists. I am not smart enough to do that. These guys named Eero Leinonen and Matti Otala came with mathematical proof of the defect I found using my ears and a self designed power amplifier.

Lets enjoy the K10d,
Anybody interested to know hat happened over forty years ago is invited to pm me for more information.

Last edited by Fluegel; 06-24-2020 at 05:32 PM.
06-25-2020, 01:05 AM - 1 Like   #5953
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fluegel Quote
My advice is trust your eyes and enjoy what you see. Do not bother too much about the gear that was used.

Well said!
06-25-2020, 05:47 AM - 2 Likes   #5954
Pentaxian

How the heck could anyone ever take anything that I say seriously?
One look at your pictures is all one needs to start paying attention to what you say I truly mean that.

(It helps that you picked up on that British sense of humor that a lot of us love...)

Also, it tells us that every single one of us has equipment that is far above our ability level.
06-25-2020, 12:07 PM   #5955
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Dave, much appreciated.

Paul