Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
07-28-2014, 12:58 PM   #587
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RussV Quote
Wow, great images. Did you apply any sharpening for are they straight from camera? What ISO were you using?

I don't own a K10d but I'm seriously thinking of geting one. I don't need loads of bell & whistles just good image quality.
Well I've done it, just joined the K10d Club!!

Today I took delivery of a boxed k10d with all accessories, spare battery and third party grip for just £130 off Ebay. Its in excellent condition, shutter count is 4211 so barely used, seems to be working perfectly for the few test shots I've made. It makes a good upgrade to my K100d Super, another good (CCD) camera but not quite in the same league. Will post some images when I take some worth sharing.
07-28-2014, 02:35 PM   #588

QuoteOriginally posted by RussV Quote
Well I've done it, just joined the K10d Club!!

Today I took delivery of a boxed k10d with all accessories, spare battery and third party grip for just £130 off Ebay. Its in excellent condition, shutter count is 4211 so barely used, seems to be working perfectly for the few test shots I've made. It makes a good upgrade to my K100d Super, another good (CCD) camera but not quite in the same league. Will post some images when I take some worth sharing.
Good for you Russ.
I think you will enjoy this camera very much.
OH
07-28-2014, 02:54 PM   #589
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's mainly down to this thread. I'd written off the K10 until seeing the pictures on here. I shot film for decades so not going over ISO 400 is no big deal.

07-28-2014, 07:32 PM   #590
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
And continuing on with that thought.. I found the native ISO ranges, and the response to those ranges fairly true to what I'd expect if I had loaded a Spotomatic with film. In that regards the K10 feels like a pretty natural device next to a fridge filled with film.

I was originally caught up in wanting super high iso performance, and I'm not sure if i care anymore.

The more I print the more I'm, enjoying the psudo organic mess the sensor makes in textures and edges. I think I'd miss that if my it was totally clean. I suppose it would just allow me to take different types of photos, But I think I'd miss that noise as strange as that sounds.

I mean figure 1. Christchurch being cleaned up This is probably cheating a bit as the subject is a massive mess, but this image is full of noise hot pixels the works. Yet it doesn't for me take away anything from the image. Actually in this example if anything it adds the fragility of the scene. What ISO would I have to shoot with modern day sensors to get that kind of feel? iso512000? Anyway, print it as 12x8 and its still plenty sharp, noise isn't an issue.

Maybe this shot if fairer Figure 2

Embrace the high ISO! :P for somethings.
07-28-2014, 07:49 PM   #591

QuoteOriginally posted by tromboads Quote
And continuing on with that thought.. I found the native ISO ranges, and the response to those ranges fairly true to what I'd expect if I had loaded a Spotomatic with film. In that regards the K10 feels like a pretty natural device next to a fridge filled with film.

I was originally caught up in wanting super high iso performance, and I'm not sure if i care anymore.

The more I print the more I'm, enjoying the psudo organic mess the sensor makes in textures and edges. I think I'd miss that if my it was totally clean. I suppose it would just allow me to take different types of photos, But I think I'd miss that noise as strange as that sounds.

I mean figure 1. Christchurch being cleaned up This is probably cheating a bit as the subject is a massive mess, but this image is full of noise hot pixels the works. Yet it doesn't for me take away anything from the image. Actually in this example if anything it adds the fragility of the scene. What ISO would I have to shoot with modern day sensors to get that kind of feel? iso512000? Anyway, print it as 12x8 and its still plenty sharp, noise isn't an issue.

Maybe this shot if fairer Figure 2

I agree with Daniel.
I simply reach for a tripod and slow down the shutter - just like in the old days of film.
OH
07-29-2014, 12:19 AM   #592
Veteran Member

I saw a K10D (second-hand, of course) in the local camera shop and snapped it up for £169 with a kit lens. I've no idea whether this is a good price, but it's in good condition and has had less than 10k shutter activations as far as I can tell. I bought it because it has a CCD sensor, so will maybe give me a slightly different experience than with my K-3. It makes quite a "thunk" when I turn it on. Is this normal for this camera? Although I haven't used it in earnest yet - just a few shots in the back garden to test exposure, etc - it seems to be working fine, and the jpegs look pretty good.

07-29-2014, 12:22 AM   #593
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
I bought it because it has a CCD sensor
There is something quite special about the way this sensor renders images, hard to describe, but you'll know what I mean once you get going with it.

Enjoy your "new" camera.
07-29-2014, 12:28 AM   #594
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PaulieHun Quote
but I myself would prefer to post reality as opposed to Adobegraphy
You're perfectly entitled to your view, and I know that many would agree with you. But I regard my hobby as image-making, and so I'm not averse to post-processing to improve images. I used to do it in the darkroom, too - dodging and burning, and that sort of stuff. For example, Man Ray made quite an impression with his solarized images, and that was PP in the extreme. Often we need to manipulate images to make a scene agree with what we saw (or what we thought we saw), as the camera and the eye see things differently. Sometimes, we just want to be surreal, or dreamy, or dramatic. I think it all has its place in this wonderful hobby we call photography, though we don't have to like it all. I, for example, don't much care for the overdone and overblown HDR images we see these days.

That said, I don't like that image you posted either, Paulie.

---------- Post added 07-29-14 at 08:30 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Enjoy your "new" camera.
Thank you - I intend to
07-29-2014, 01:02 AM   #595
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I saw a K10D (second-hand, of course) in the local camera shop and snapped it up for £169 with a kit lens. I've no idea whether this is a good price, but it's in good condition and has had less than 10k shutter activations as far as I can tell. I bought it because it has a CCD sensor, so will maybe give me a slightly different experience than with my K-3. It makes quite a "thunk" when I turn it on. Is this normal for this camera? Although I haven't used it in earnest yet - just a few shots in the back garden to test exposure, etc - it seems to be working fine, and the jpegs look pretty good.
I've been chasing K10's for a couple of weeks and £169 sounds about right for camera and lens in the UK. Some are a bit more, some a bit less. I've only just got mine but the accepted wisdom is they excel at low ISO in RAW, athough I've seen some very good jpegs and some good high ISO images. Funny thing is, just judging from examples I've seen on the net, the K3 seems to get closest to the K10 in terms of colour out of all the recent Pentax cameras.

As far as image processing goes, I like natural looking shots but there's obviously an audience for heavily processed images and ultimately to enjoy photography we need to please ourselves first and others second.
07-29-2014, 01:09 AM   #596
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tromboads Quote
This isn't a popular concept with camera marketing departments, but noise or grain, does enhance some images!
07-29-2014, 01:36 AM   #597
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It makes quite a "thunk" when I turn it on. Is this normal for this camera?
Yes, quite normal. That is the sound of the sensor giving itself a shake to get rid of any dust. Be happy when you hear that sound.
07-29-2014, 01:49 AM   #598
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PaulieHun Quote
And as I said, I'm new and still learning this awesome art. And yes the majority of people do agree with me on other sites Whether you like my images or not is of no consequence to me, meaning "I couldn't give a toss". If you can't produce something straight out of the camera without using a photo editing program, your conception of true art and what photography is all about is flawed. I will shoot you one question! Where would you have been 15 years ago without your Photoshop. Up shit's creek with out a paddle I suggest. And I thank you for your input Mr Veteran Member
That's a rather inconsiderate reply, bordering on rudeness. Because I might not agree with you, doesn't make my viewpoint any less valid than your own. And as for liking your images, I ventured no opinion as I haven't seen any: in fact, I agreed with you about the photograph you posted as an example of over-saturated image.. You ask where would I have been 15 years ago without Photoshop - I was in my darkroom developing and printing my films - where were you? If you think that straight-out-of-the-camera images is the be-all and end-all of digital photography, I respectfully suggest that it is your own viewpoint of what art and photography is that is flawed, and limited.
07-29-2014, 02:29 AM   #599

K-10D and Auto Vivitar 2.8/35
Love that CCD sensor
OH

PS: the images that I post here on the Pentax forum always lose crispness and sharpness and pop for some reason.
They are always better on my monitor and other forums show them in a better light.
I am puzzled by the drop in IQ on this forum
To see this same image elsewhere and see the differences have a look at:
LINK
OH
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
07-29-2014, 02:42 AM   #600
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It must be the compression and or resizing applied here during up loads.