Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GerryM Quote
Great shot, Colton!
Thanks my friend.
08-14-2020, 12:42 PM - 4 Likes   #6139
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Warped floors in York, England, in 2013. K-10D and FA 28-80mm.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
08-14-2020, 01:38 PM   #6140
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by subsea Quote
Warped floors in York, England, in 2013. K-10D and FA 28-80mm.
Yikes! Wonder what it looks like today!
08-14-2020, 01:51 PM - 1 Like   #6141
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pbancr Quote
Yikes! Wonder what it looks like today!
Its probably still there in the same condition and listed, which means it has to be preserved, as is, by law. It probably dates from at least the 16th century. I have to admit it does look a bit rickety!
08-14-2020, 02:09 PM   #6142
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If I remember correctly, the building was part of the National Trust (kind of like a Historical Landmark in the US) and couldn't be modified without government permission. As Russ says, I have no doubt that it's still there, still looking like it's about to fall down!

08-14-2020, 10:36 PM   #6143
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by subsea Quote
If I remember correctly, the building was part of the National Trust (kind of like a Historical Landmark in the US) and couldn't be modified without government permission. As Russ says, I have no doubt that it's still there, still looking like it's about to fall down!
You would think that at the very least an effort would be made to re-level the structure, in the name of preservation of it.
08-14-2020, 11:02 PM - 2 Likes   #6144
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
You would think that at the very least an effort would be made to re-level the structure, in the name of preservation of it.
But then it would lose its charm!

Last edited by subsea; 08-15-2020 at 08:37 AM.
08-14-2020, 11:45 PM - 6 Likes   #6145
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

It's rather like antique furniture... originality is preferred over perfection wherever possible. If a 17th century table has flaws and imperfections that occurred during the 18th century, good collectors and restorers will strive to retain them - but if the legs are unstable such that the table can't be used, sympathetic repairs will be made to strengthen the structure whilst minimising visual impact. Given the age of that building, its a safe bet that it has looked like that for many, many years - possibly (probably?) the majority of its existence. As such, the subsidence is part of its very history. There will have been a lot of expensive work carried out to stabilise it, though...
08-15-2020, 02:07 AM   #6146
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are a fair number of buildings like that dotted across England in the more ancient towns such as York. Maybe not that dramatic looking but all now carefully preserved. In previous centuries the internal floors have probably been levelled but the exterior retained as is.
08-15-2020, 02:39 AM - 3 Likes   #6147
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Don't worry, it is preserved and will be for the forseeable future; it is part of the history of a historic town. It would be what in the UK is designated a "listed building" (the list being manged by Historic England, a government department), and legally protected aginst alteration or demolition.Repairs and any alterations must be approved by the authority, and the owner can be made to pay for any essential repairs. To own a listed building is in fact quite a financial liabilty, although you may think it worthwhile for its charm and/or prestige.

The question of re-levelling such a building or otherwise restoring "as good as new" is controversial. For example should they set the Leaning Tower of Pisa back upright? In general the policy is to stabilise aginst further deterioration while avoiding visible changes. That house probably has a fair bit of underpinning and bracing behind the scenes. I am a structural engineer in industry myself, and I would tend to the side of heavier restoration. When sight-seeing some of these old buildings I am mentally putting in extra re-inforcement, in fact some old structures make me nervous to look at (Gainsborough Old Hall was one). Ironically, that building in York, being timber framed, might stand an earthquake better than the masonry buildings next door, even if it lost its glass and some of the plaster-like infill.

Last edited by Lord Lucan; 08-15-2020 at 02:41 AM. Reason: Format
08-15-2020, 09:01 AM - 2 Likes   #6148
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When we were in the UK, we went shopping in a store in a similar building in Stratford-upon-Avon. Wasn't quite as extreme as this one, but it was still uneven enough that, when you took a step, your foot never met the floor quite where you expected. A lot of people found it very disorienting (including my wife).

Even New York City has (or had) buildings like this one. My grandparents owned a business in mid-town Manhattan that stretched over 2 floors in 2 adjacent buildings. One of the buildings had extremely uneven floors similar to these. Eventually that building was purchased and torn down to be replaced by a glass and steel structure with much less character.
08-15-2020, 09:58 AM - 3 Likes   #6149
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
the subsidence is part of its very history. There will have been a lot of expensive work carried out to stabilise it, though...
That's good to hear. With very few exceptions I prefer preservation of old things* rather than restoration.

*Of course if someone could restore me that would be one of the exceptions.
08-15-2020, 11:37 AM - 5 Likes   #6150
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Remnants of Hadrian's Wall in Heddon on the Wall in Northumberland.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo