Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2020, 05:46 PM   #6181
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Kdgparnell's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 119
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Wise Quote
Hi fellow Pentaxians. Long post. If you get bored easily go to the last paragraph.

I’m a longtime Pentaxian but basically a lurker on the forum. My first Pentax was a Spotmatic with Superr-Tak 55/1.8, 200/4 and a 35/2.8 Auto Rikenon. bought in a PX in Nam in 1968 (yes, I am OLD!). I used it for a dozen years adding scrapes and dents, but it kept on working – and still does!. My next SLR was an LX I bought in 1980 which I used for the next 30 years until it got the ‘sticky mirror’ problem; now refurbished and works like new. I use it for B&W film. I bought a K20D in 2008, but ‘lost’ it in the Amazon in 2012. I replaced it with a Pentax re-furbished K-5 in 2013, which I still enjoy to this day. I bought a *ist DL as a backup just in case. I really like the colors or the old camera but it was rather primitive so I began looking for a K10D/K200D.

Last week I bid on a 10D w/18-55 kit lens and a remote trigger F on the Goodwill site. I thought that I got it at a reasonable price – and I was right! The package came today. The first thing I saw was a virtually pristine box with the 10D/kit lens. I couldn’t believe it. I opened it and found neatly packed equally pristine camera and lens. The only thing missing from the box was the instruction book. Looking at the the camera, the only thing that indicated it had been used was that strap was on the camera and indication that someone had used it on a tripod, otherwise like new. Curious I put in one of my charged LI-50 batteries from the former 20D, formatted an old (512 MB) SD card and took a quick photo. Checked it with PhotoME and the camera had only 3565 shutter actuations. Might as well be new.

I then checked the firmware on the camera. It was 1.00, never upgraded. Now for the question. I only have 1 in lens drive lens (18-135) everything else is screw-drive AF. I’m think of all the quality lenses with broken SDM that would work on the 10D. Many can be gotten cheap. What would you do? Keep it at 1.00 or totally upgrade the firmware? … or is there something in between??
I’ve had my K10d for a coupe of months, and it came with 1.30 which I then upgraded to the latest which is 1.31. Not difficult and it has worked without a hitch.

Hope that helps...

08-21-2020, 01:14 PM - 1 Like   #6182
Pentaxian
tonyzoc's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 423
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Wise Quote
Hi fellow Pentaxians. Long post. If you get bored easily go to the last paragraph.



I’m a longtime Pentaxian but basically a lurker on the forum. My first Pentax was a Spotmatic with Superr-Tak 55/1.8, 200/4 and a 35/2.8 Auto Rikenon. bought in a PX in Nam in 1968 (yes, I am OLD!). I used it for a dozen years adding scrapes and dents, but it kept on working – and still does!. My next SLR was an LX I bought in 1980 which I used for the next 30 years until it got the ‘sticky mirror’ problem; now refurbished and works like new. I use it for B&W film. I bought a K20D in 2008, but ‘lost’ it in the Amazon in 2012. I replaced it with a Pentax re-furbished K-5 in 2013, which I still enjoy to this day. I bought a *ist DL as a backup just in case. I really like the colors or the old camera but it was rather primitive so I began looking for a K10D/K200D.



Last week I bid on a 10D w/18-55 kit lens and a remote trigger F on the Goodwill site. I thought that I got it at a reasonable price – and I was right! The package came today. The first thing I saw was a virtually pristine box with the 10D/kit lens. I couldn’t believe it. I opened it and found neatly packed equally pristine camera and lens. The only thing missing from the box was the instruction book. Looking at the the camera, the only thing that indicated it had been used was that strap was on the camera and indication that someone had used it on a tripod, otherwise like new. Curious I put in one of my charged LI-50 batteries from the former 20D, formatted an old (512 MB) SD card and took a quick photo. Checked it with PhotoME and the camera had only 3565 shutter actuations. Might as well be new.



I then checked the firmware on the camera. It was 1.00, never upgraded. Now for the question. I only have 1 in lens drive lens (18-135) everything else is screw-drive AF. I’m think of all the quality lenses with broken SDM that would work on the 10D. Many can be gotten cheap. What would you do? Keep it at 1.00 or totally upgrade the firmware? … or is there something in between??
The only thing I would add to what was said is the earlier ROM had the ability to go into an admin mode (whatever it's called) and do micro adjusts on the focus. You can still do it in 1.31 but you need to put a file on the root of the as card and boot with (if I remember correctly) power on and ok button pressed. The file is a text file with a specific command ... You can find the detail in this forum. The button combo might be different, I forget. Anyway the focus adjust is applicable to all lenses, unlike the K-70 where you can adjust for specific lenses. Going to 1.31 is easy though, just follow the instructions from Pentax and have a full charge in your battery.

08-22-2020, 10:28 AM - 9 Likes   #6183
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Commack, NY
Posts: 1,714
Edinburgh Castle, early in the morning in July of 2013. K-10D and FA 28-80mm.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
08-23-2020, 09:45 AM - 1 Like   #6184
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2017
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 426
I accepted the three K10d cameras as they came. did not bother to check the software for upgrades.
It made me curious to see if any of these three bodies had seen a software upgrade.
More on this after the results of the upgrade situation are known.


The K10d I use most was upgraded to version 1.30
It is now on 1.31

My second K10d was on 1.31

The third one with only 3900 clicks was on 1.0
It is now also on 1.31

No idea what the upgrades will mean for my use. Being on the latest software feels good.


Last edited by Fluegel; 08-23-2020 at 12:06 PM.
08-23-2020, 07:27 PM   #6185
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 683
Think I checked mine as it came in & it was 1.31. Not sure either...

Looks like there were a range of changes through five updates to 1.31 relating to various functions such as SDM focusing, use of the green button, flash etc

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/digital/k10d_s.html

Last edited by rjbrett; 08-23-2020 at 10:24 PM.
08-24-2020, 10:30 AM - 1 Like   #6186
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
paulh's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: DFW Texas/Ventura County, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,454
Another day at Harbor Village, Ventura Calif. (pre-covid) DA18-135 on K10D:
08-24-2020, 12:52 PM   #6187
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
ivanvernon's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Medina, OH
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,822
My firmware

Checked firmware on my two K-10s and found one on 1.30 and the other on 1.31. Decided not to change th3e 1.30 as it appears that 1.31 adds only something that did not seem too important to my use of the K-10. I can change it easily, of course, if someone convinces me that it would be worthwhile.
08-24-2020, 12:58 PM - 3 Likes   #6188
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
ivanvernon's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Medina, OH
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,822
Morning views

Morning views with K-10 and Auto Chinon MC 135mm f 2.8.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
08-24-2020, 01:02 PM   #6189
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
paulh's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: DFW Texas/Ventura County, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,454
QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Checked firmware on my two K-10s and found one on 1.30 and the other on 1.31. Decided not to change th3e 1.30 as it appears that 1.31 adds only something that did not seem too important to my use of the K-10. I can change it easily, of course, if someone convinces me that it would be worthwhile.
Exactly my situation as well. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
08-24-2020, 01:53 PM   #6190
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
ivanvernon's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Medina, OH
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,822
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Exactly my situation as well. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
I have been very cautious about updating firmware since bricking a K-7 3-4 years ago. It is an expensive repair!
08-24-2020, 02:16 PM   #6191
New Member




Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Denver, Colorado, USA
Posts: 21
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Exactly my situation as well. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
I guess I didn't ask the question properly (not the first time). Are there any pros for leaving the K10 with 1.00 firmware - other than being able to use lenses with malfunctioning SDM with screw drive. Anyone out there wished that they hadn't updated their camera? I've updated multiple cameras, so updating is not a problem for me.
08-24-2020, 02:40 PM   #6192
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
paulh's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: DFW Texas/Ventura County, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,454
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Wise Quote
I guess I didn't ask the question properly (not the first time). Are there any pros for leaving the K10 with 1.00 firmware - other than being able to use lenses with malfunctioning SDM with screw drive. Anyone out there wished that they hadn't updated their camera? I've updated multiple cameras, so updating is not a problem for me.
The link above (posted by rjbrett) details all the changes/improvements of each firmware revision. I'm happy where I am with 1.30 and 1.31.
08-25-2020, 12:36 AM - 4 Likes   #6193
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 683
The last of my presentable K10 photos from last year, an Arctotus flower bud taken with the DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 with (I think ) a Kenko AC +2 close up filter, and the ceiling reflections with an SMC Pentax-DA 40mm f2.8 XS;

08-25-2020, 04:53 AM   #6194
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,021
One of your best shots , I believe.

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Cloud cover...DA18-135 on K10D:
08-25-2020, 10:09 AM   #6195
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
paulh's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: DFW Texas/Ventura County, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,454
QuoteOriginally posted by glinda Quote
One of your best shots , I believe.
Thanks, glinda! I'm always watching the clouds
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
allen, bird, camera, cameras, clicks, comparison, da, dslr, ff, flickr, images, k10d, k5, k5iis, leica, lens, nikon, pentax, photography, pictures, post, price, prix, ray, skin tones, time, version
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I started a K-5 Praise thread, now the Complaint thread imtheguy Pentax K-5 & K-5 II 46 11-01-2010 09:20 AM
Suggestion Add Previous/Next Thread links at the top of each thread indytax Site Suggestions and Help 3 03-17-2009 05:40 PM
Iceemn360's K10d Photo Thread Timtast1c Post Your Photos! 50 01-10-2009 02:43 PM
Mandatory thread from new K10D owner :) Edvinas Pentax DSLR Discussion 9 12-08-2006 07:34 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:33 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top