Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12492 Likes Search this Thread
08-25-2020, 12:39 PM - 5 Likes   #6196
spy

hi guys n gals from Althorp in uk {near ancestrial home of the Spencers , or princess Diana } my first camera at age of 53 !!! i know shocking but i bought a second hand k10d after reading loads of reviews and after my first day im hooked , i understand there are prob sooo many newer more up to date cameras out there , but you dont buy a lambo as your first car do you !! i have just dropped it into the nearest shop to be cleaned , i have just ordered a 55-300 lens and can not wait to learn how to use it properly , my very first shot was of my airedale terrier Duke hanging out of my old winnebagos window { prob not unusual in usa but im in uk and they are rare over here ,dog and rv } i look forward to learning lots from you guys

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
08-25-2020, 02:35 PM - 1 Like   #6197
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by spy Quote
bought a second hand k10d after reading loads of reviews and after my first day im hooked
Congrats and welcome to the Cult! You're among friends here
08-26-2020, 12:13 AM - 7 Likes   #6198
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

my very first shot was of my airedale terrier Duke
.... and a nice photo to post too . I hadn't tried my 55-300 (just the ED version) on my K10d until a couple of days ago, when I noticed at first light that a pigeon had apparently spent the night in one of the hanging baskets out my back door;

08-26-2020, 07:13 AM - 1 Like   #6199
Pentaxian

I think the word is getting out on the K10D... I have noticed on flickr that some portrait photographers, including Thomas Ohlsson, who was featured here in a PentaxForums article before but recently has had Fuji as his main system, has started shooting with a K10D as well... I'm not a fan of his post processing style and I think he will continue mostly shooting with Fuji but I thought it was interesting that he's now added the K10D to his systems...

As word gets out I hope the K10Ds don't start to get overpriced, the electronic problems on mine are getting worse so I think I'll need a replacement soon.. and I'll probably donate this one for someone who needs parts or wants to convert their SDM lenses...

08-27-2020, 12:40 PM - 5 Likes   #6200
Veteran Member

From February 2008...

Pentax K10D
Tamron AF 70-300
08-27-2020, 01:16 PM - 1 Like   #6201
Veteran Member

Congratulations on the purchase of the K10d. It may not be a Ferrari in car terms but certainly is a good and reliable rally car.
Good idea to have the body cleaned before you start shooting.

K10d cameras have dried up in the local Market place here. Ebay still offers them but the real bargains, low mileage at modest prices, are gone.
With three K10ds I can manage. The work horse is being used daily. Number two sees regular jobs too. Only number three is mothballed although it is fitted with the walk around 18-200 mm lens.

Skipping film straight into digital must be quite an experience. Wish you lots of fun.
You are amongst friends here, do not hesitate to ask for help or advice.

---------- Post added 08-27-20 at 01:22 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote

As word gets out I hope the K10Ds don't start to get overpriced, the electronic problems on mine are getting worse so I think I'll need a replacement soon.. and I'll probably donate this one for someone who needs parts or wants to convert their SDM lenses...
The real bargains are probably gone now. A decent low number of clicks around 100 US is a good deal now.
Your K10d is the first I know with serious problems. That does not mean you are the only one.

Last edited by Fluegel; 08-27-2020 at 01:23 PM.
08-27-2020, 01:32 PM   #6202
spy

thanks for all the positive feedback on the choice of camera i have ordered a hd da 55-300 ed wr lens i have been watching tutorials till my head hurts lol but now i realise a tripod is a must asap as i prob will not find too many camera shops in darkest france so any recomendations for a lightweight / packpack one would be great i am 6 ft 3" so one that would cater for me if poss

08-27-2020, 02:59 PM   #6203
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fluegel Quote
The real bargains are probably gone now. A decent low number of clicks around 100 US is a good deal now.
Your K10d is the first I know with serious problems. That does not mean you are the only one.
I don't blame Pentax at all, I'm sure my problems are of my own making. I had a dirty sensor that I was having trouble getting clean and I think I got moisture in, and that affected the main board. I didn't get it wet or anything, but I'm certain I got moisture inside as I didn't realize a compressed air can has a lot of moisture. Yes I was that dumb...
After other attempts I did get the sensor very clean though, and it performs admirably. It's just some body buttons that activate without me touching them... it only affects when I'm viewing images. If I just shoot and view later in my computer I have no problems at all, but usually I'll check the histogram and sometimes I like to check focus...
08-27-2020, 06:57 PM - 1 Like   #6204
Veteran Member

thanks for all the positive feedback on the choice of camera i have ordered a hd da 55-300 ed wr lens i have been watching tutorials till my head hurts lol but now i realise a tripod is a must asap as i prob will not find too many camera shops in darkest france so any recomendations for a lightweight / packpack one would be great i am 6 ft 3" so one that would cater for me if poss
I offer you a free Linhof tripod at the cost of shipping with DPD.
shipping is 15 euro to France.

I am only 6 feet. The tripod will meet you requirements, no problem.
Pictures after you send me your email address.
Nice dog!

PaulF

Last edited by Unregistered User 8; 08-28-2020 at 04:34 AM. Reason: Remove sales attempt
08-28-2020, 09:43 AM   #6205
spy

QuoteOriginally posted by Fluegel Quote
I offer you a free Linhof tripod at the cost of shipping with DPD.
shipping is 15 euro to France.

I am only 6 feet. The tripod will meet you requirements, no problem.
Pictures after you send me your email address.
Nice dog!

PaulF
hi paul thank you for your kind offer much appreciated , i managed to pick one up today on facebook marketplace brand new unopened in box for £20 k & f concept i will see how i get on before upgrading at a later date lanks once again , simon
08-28-2020, 12:50 PM - 6 Likes   #6206
Veteran Member

From August 2009...

Pentax K10D
SMC Pentax-FA 50/1.4
08-28-2020, 03:19 PM - 1 Like   #6207
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
From August 2009...

Pentax K10D
SMC Pentax-FA 50/1.4
Another beautiful image, Colton. Excellent work.
08-29-2020, 04:13 AM   #6208
Veteran Member

Am coming to grips with this camera, got a beat up one ... it , though , I believe , so far . Is the nicest feel , weight, design , of any Pentax body , short of film , that I’ve had, and I’ve had almost all .. apsc anyway.
At least to me.
This one is old and maybe not quite right.
Autofocus is ... ( Fa lenses are only autofocus I have) ... much hunting .... . but i shoot mostly manual, anyway.

Not getting very good results yet . JPEGs only . Do I have to shoot raw with this one ? I like shooting jpeg best.
Will see .....

You guys get some good shots with this camera ,
So had to see for myself ....

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I think the word is getting out on the K10D... I have noticed on flickr that some portrait photographers, including Thomas Ohlsson, who was featured here in a PentaxForums article before but recently has had Fuji as his main system, has started shooting with a K10D as well... I'm not a fan of his post processing style and I think he will continue mostly shooting with Fuji but I thought it was interesting that he's now added the K10D to his systems...

08-29-2020, 11:16 AM - 4 Likes   #6209
Veteran Member

From February 2008

Pentax K10D
SMC Pentax-DA 18-55mm
3 shot stitched pano
08-29-2020, 11:28 AM - 1 Like   #6210
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome aboard! DA18-135 on K10D:

---------- Post added 08-29-20 at 01:36 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by glinda Quote
Am coming to grips with this camera, got a beat up one ... it , though , I believe , so far . Is the nicest feel , weight, design , of any Pentax body , short of film , that I’ve had, and I’ve had almost all .. apsc anyway.
At least to me.
This one is old and maybe not quite right.
Autofocus is ... ( Fa lenses are only autofocus I have) ... much hunting .... . but i shoot mostly manual, anyway.

Not getting very good results yet . JPEGs only . Do I have to shoot raw with this one ? I like shooting jpeg best.
Will see .....

You guys get some good shots with this camera ,
So had to see for myself ....
To me the K10D feels the nicest in the hand and has well thought-out controls. The AF isn't the quickest, but I get good results using centerpoint AF and back button focusing. Feels a bit awkward at first, but soon becomes 2nd nature. Congrats and welcome!

Last edited by paulh; 08-29-2020 at 12:51 PM.