Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12503 Likes Search this Thread
11-21-2020, 03:06 PM   #6481
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevejo Quote
I would think the easiest would be to point the camera to the sky and note down the meter settings, point at the horizon and note the exposure for that, then compose and take your two exposures with the settings noted. It may just be easier to take a few throughout your range of available shutter speeds and pick the two to blend .
Thanks, I frequently over think things and come up with the wrong answer

11-21-2020, 03:38 PM   #6482
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

links to Flickr
You sound pretty technically accomplished, more so than I, so you're probably on top of this already, but just in case this is how it works for me.

- Once viewing a photo in Flickr you'll see four little icons below and to the right of the picture, and above the text describing the picture etc. The second icon from the left looks like a standard return icon, and if I hover over it I see it's for sharing photos.

- If I click on that link I get a dialog box with tabs at the top. The last of these tabs to the right is labelled BBCode. I click that one.

- Underneath these tabs I see a box with a code, and under that a drop down list with size descriptions and dimensions. I choose a size and then copy and paste the BBCode into my forum post. The flickr title of the photo shows in the forum post until I refresh the
page.

Fingers crossed for your K10 .
11-21-2020, 03:40 PM - 5 Likes   #6483
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
^^^ That's the way it's done, RJ

Jeannie knows the way - Zenitar 16/2.8 on K10D:
11-21-2020, 08:47 PM - 2 Likes   #6484
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
wonderful light!
QuoteOriginally posted by glinda Quote
Like both those shots, the armadillo roof ( or Amarillo , If in Texas , Paul ? ) is cool , all by itself .

Both are very lovely scenes
Thanks everyone. The building is the Margaret Whitlam Pavilion, in Canberra, Australia.

11-22-2020, 04:46 AM   #6485
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
^^^ That's the way it's done, RJ

Jeannie knows the way - Zenitar 16/2.8 on K10D:
Jeannie takes 'the road less taken ... ' or ... something like that ... what is that famous quote that pentax lovers live by ... ?
11-22-2020, 05:48 AM   #6486
Pentaxian

The road less taken is indeed a Pentax thing and Jeannie is famous in this Club!
11-22-2020, 11:34 AM   #6487
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by glinda Quote
Jeannie takes 'the road less taken
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Pentax thing and Jeannie is famous in this Club!
Thanks to you both

11-22-2020, 06:26 PM - 2 Likes   #6488
Closed Account

Sunset through the trees

K10d with 55-300
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
11-23-2020, 12:52 PM - 2 Likes   #6489
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Selfies at Mugu Rock (uncropped) - DA18-135 on K10D:
11-23-2020, 02:55 PM   #6490
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

From around the house, Pentax K10d & Da 50-200mm f4-5.6 ED;

Previously posted in Reflections thread.
11-24-2020, 02:07 AM - 3 Likes   #6491
Forum Member

Birds in Flight- 50mm f1.8

Last edited by Eye.n.Eye; 06-27-2021 at 09:53 PM.
11-24-2020, 09:47 AM - 1 Like   #6492

Photos: Albums
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

my daughter and I made our own 'macro studio' using what we had around the house. Worked well, but with two longer length lenses I'm having very little focus even when I'm stepped back. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Any tips on depth of field / focal length with the K100D - and a suitable macro lens? forgive my newbie question.

Thanks
11-24-2020, 12:06 PM - 1 Like   #6493
Pentaxian

To increase depth of field you need a shorter lens and or a smaller aperture. One of the features of a telephoto is to isolate the subject from the background due to their limited depth of field.
A smaller aperture will result in a much slower shutter speed so you will need to use a tripod. The best thing with digital is that is doesn't cost anything (ok, time and a bit of electricity), to have a practice. With your mini studio, try placing something at the front, middle and back (3 AA batteries would be good), and see what effect the various apertures have. You can crank up the ISO a bit to help with the exposure, and if you don't have a tripod, a bean bag (or sock filled with dried peas) may help.

You may also want to try reflecting some light towards the background to reduce or remove the shadows . Probably best to avoid the on-camera flash. A hot shoe flash that you can adjust to bounce the light would help a lot.

Look forward to seeing some more results.
11-24-2020, 02:07 PM   #6494

To increase depth of field you need a shorter lens and or a smaller aperture. One of the features of a telephoto is to isolate the subject from the background due to their limited depth of field.
A smaller aperture will result in a much slower shutter speed so you will need to use a tripod. The best thing with digital is that is doesn't cost anything (ok, time and a bit of electricity), to have a practice. With your mini studio, try placing something at the front, middle and back (3 AA batteries would be good), and see what effect the various apertures have. You can crank up the ISO a bit to help with the exposure, and if you don't have a tripod, a bean bag (or sock filled with dried peas) may help.

You may also want to try reflecting some light towards the background to reduce or remove the shadows . Probably best to avoid the on-camera flash. A hot shoe flash that you can adjust to bounce the light would help a lot.

Look forward to seeing some more results.
Thank you! Lots of useful info. Will have a play and take notes of settings I use soon.
Really appreciate the insight and patience.
11-24-2020, 02:36 PM - 1 Like   #6495
Forum Member

The only answer to narrow dof with macro or still life is focus stacking!. I use software called Franzis Projects. It's easy to use and not too expensive.I think Affinity Photo does it too. Of course a shorter lens might help but then you're right on top of the subject and that can cause shadow. Have a look anyway.