Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by glinda Quote
Very cool , mr Allen.
Many thanks, @glinda.

02-08-2021, 03:18 AM - 7 Likes   #6647
Forum Member

Something a bit different this time. An attempt to get the maximum possible detail out of the 10MP sensor, utilising some modern raw conversion techniques that probably weren't available in 2006 when the K10D was released. If anybody wants to pixel peep the full 42MP image, please PM me for a download link. I'm keen for somebody else to zoom in on it 1:1!

K10D, 18-135

02-08-2021, 03:53 AM - 2 Likes   #6648
G&R

I started with the Samsung GX10, the "licensed copy" of K10D, and there are some differentiators that reviewers overlooked when these cameras were new.

I also have a K10D, and a K3-II that I view as the "confused descendent" of K10D
02-08-2021, 10:55 AM - 3 Likes   #6649
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mary Magdalen Chapel, Camarillo CA. DA18-135 on K10D:

Last edited by paulh; 02-09-2021 at 05:21 PM.
02-08-2021, 01:33 PM - 3 Likes   #6650
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hilltop village in Portugal in 2010. K-10D, FA 28-80mm.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
02-09-2021, 01:52 AM - 4 Likes   #6651

Yosemite's Firefall Waterfall

I have snagged two reservations to get into Yosemite to see and photograph the Firefall waterfall.
I have a D10 with a Pentax 16-45 Lens. I am looking for some advice as the subject will be lit up and bright, with a darker/dusk background. What are your opinions on the settings. I was the manual expert a few years ago, but have lost alot of my knowledge. I don't want to put the D10 on Auto Stupid as I know it is capable of taking so much better pictures with the proper settings. I suspect a few setting suggestions will trigger the lost knowledge, well maybe not lost just dormant.
i always do manual focus, that is a given, For this trip(s) I will use a tripod, but what else?
I will be practicing around the house and try and duplicate the conditions, and experimenting with different settings.

I have been dealing with Post Covid issues(lack of energy, depression, serious fatigue) and simply have not had the energy or ambition to get out until now.
I was able to get OK shots a couple of years ago, but I think this year will be spectacular. There is a pantload of snow with more coming then a slight warmup so the waterfall should be pretty full and lit up. I have reservations for Weds, Feb 10, and Feb 24th. My position to the waterfall was not ideal but literally thousands of people crowded the area. This year will be much different as they are limiting the number of people getting in. So it will be much easier to get down the road to get a much better view.
Here is a pic of it I took, in case no one knows about it.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 

Last edited by Grzldvt; 02-09-2021 at 03:29 AM.
02-09-2021, 01:53 AM - 12 Likes   #6652
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hi folks. Last week I logged on to Flickr for the first time in months and discovered that a couple of you had kindly tried to contact me, so I thought I'd stop by here to say sorry for not replying.

Over the last six months or so of last year I was in the grip of a fairly catastrophic episode of the mental health condition that comes along and clobbers me now and then, so I'm afraid I really wasn't in any condition to be chatting to anyone online. It's no big deal in comparison with the horrors that so many people have suffered from Covid, but it was enough to cause quite a lot of self-inflicted damage in my own life. And it meant that I rudely ignored a couple of you from here, and I want to apologise for that.

I've now realised that there's something intrinsically destabilising about social media for me personally, so I've shut down everything apart from Facebook with a handful of close family and real world friends. That includes shutting down my Flickr account. Of course you can't officially close down a PF account, and that's fine because I think I probably would have wanted to keep this one open anyway for old time's sake. I've lurked here now and then and it's been good to see that the K10D Club is still going strong with some talented new members, and I've loved what I've seen in the CCD cult thread. But I won't be coming back here as a regular contributor, because, like I say, I've come to accept that social media isn't particularly healthy for me personally.

I've actually taken a couple of photos again over the past few weeks, which is hopefully a sign that things are on the mend now. Although it seems that, somewhere during the months of chaos, I gave away all my lovely Takumars to charity -- which is just the sort of thing that tends to happen in those sort of times. I've still got the GX-10 and 18-55mm though, and what else more than that do you really need anyway?

Here's a couple of snaps from the start of this year (assuming I've remembered how to do it and they're actually visible).

02-09-2021, 03:21 AM - 1 Like   #6653
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
Hi folks. Last week I logged on to Flickr for the first time in months and discovered that a couple of you had kindly tried to contact me, so I thought I'd stop by here to say sorry for not replying.

Over the last six months or so of last year I was in the grip of a fairly catastrophic episode of the mental health condition that comes along and clobbers me now and then, so I'm afraid I really wasn't in any condition to be chatting to anyone online. It's no big deal in comparison with the horrors that so many people have suffered from Covid, but it was enough to cause quite a lot of self-inflicted damage in my own life. And it meant that I rudely ignored a couple of you from here, and I want to apologise for that.

I've now realised that there's something intrinsically destabilising about social media for me personally, so I've shut down everything apart from Facebook with a handful of close family and real world friends. That includes shutting down my Flickr account. Of course you can't officially close down a PF account, and that's fine because I think I probably would have wanted to keep this one open anyway for old time's sake. I've lurked here now and then and it's been good to see that the K10D Club is still going strong with some talented new members, and I've loved what I've seen in the CCD cult thread. But I won't be coming back here as a regular contributor, because, like I say, I've come to accept that social media isn't particularly healthy for me personally.

I've actually taken a couple of photos again over the past few weeks, which is hopefully a sign that things are on the mend now. Although it seems that, somewhere during the months of chaos, I gave away all my lovely Takumars to charity -- which is just the sort of thing that tends to happen in those sort of times. I've still got the GX-10 and 18-55mm though, and what else more than that do you really need anyway?

Here's a couple of snaps from the start of this year (assuming I've remembered how to do it and they're actually visible).

Best regards and best wishes to you as you deal with one of life's problems . . .hoping all works out well and that your photography continues to be a valued part of your life. I enjoy your work, and wish you all the very best.
02-09-2021, 05:29 AM - 1 Like   #6654
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Good to see you back Dave.
We miss the ponies too.

Dave
02-09-2021, 09:37 AM - 3 Likes   #6655
Pentaxian

I'm glad you came here to let us know how you are doing... and I'm sorry you have been going through a rough time.

I actually came here because I went to your flickr page to see if there were any updates, and I saw that it was gone. I was going to ask if anyone had heard from you and knew what was going on...

I know this is a photography related site, but I'd like to say that if you ever need a friend to talk to... don't hesitate to contact me. I've had my share of rough times and I won't say I know what you're going through, but I can say I wasn't even supposed to be around anymore, yet here I am... actually loving life, which is definitely not the way it was in my earlier years. God's been good to me despite my shortcomings.

I wish you all the best and thanks for sharing what's going on with us.
02-09-2021, 10:43 AM - 2 Likes   #6656
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi folks
Stunning photos Dave. It's amazing what the kit lens can do in skilled hands. I wish you all the best in dealing with your issues, and hope you'll continue to drop in occasionally.
02-09-2021, 02:27 PM - 2 Likes   #6657
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi, Dave. We've missed you. Nice to see you back (even if it's only temporary, although I certainly hope it's not!) and to hear that you're improving. You certainly haven't forgotten how to coax some superb shots out of that GX-10. All my best!
02-09-2021, 02:47 PM - 5 Likes   #6658
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

G'day David, It is just great to hear from you again. I am sorry that you have been feeling so low and I hope that you feel that you are among friends here. It is very positive that you have taken steps to move away from the things that you realise are causing problems for you. We have all experienced low points in our lives and managed to find a way out and it has happened to me too.

Thank you for sharing some of your recent images. Your magic touch has not diminished and that is good to see. Please keep creating new images as photography is great therapy. When I am feeling down I find that taking a few photos helps improve my mood and wellbeing. Thanks again for dropping in and please do it more often as it is good for all of us. It works both ways.

---------- Post added 10-02-21 at 09:02 AM ----------

The handyman's trailer. Pentax K10D, Tamron SP Adaptall-2 28-80mm screw mount.
I am impressed with the sharpness of images that this lens produces on the K10D. I bought is used back in 2004 and used it on my Spotmatics and I was not overly impressed with its results. Based on what it produces on digital I can only assume that it was operator error when used on film. I have performed a reversible modification on the lens so that it is always stopped down as it lacks an auto/manual switch.

Last edited by rayallen; 02-09-2021 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Fixed typo.
02-09-2021, 04:11 PM - 4 Likes   #6659
Closed Account

Backyard snow

K10d, 55-300 dal
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
02-10-2021, 01:32 AM - 5 Likes   #6660
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for being so understanding folks. I was a bit nervous about explaining that my absence from here was caused by mental health issues, but perhaps if people talked about such things more openly then there wouldn't be any stigma involved.

As I've said, I'll be avoiding actively participating in social media in general as much as possible. So if anyone tries to get in touch through any social media channels and I don't reply then I'd like to apologise for that in advance. Right now it's what I have to do to keep myself sane and well.

I'm sure I'll be back in a month or two with some more photos as they come along. For now, I'm going to have a look back through the K10D Club and do some liking.