Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2021, 02:04 PM - 1 Like   #6796
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Yes... it's a "partscaster" or "Frankencaster" based on a 70s Tele. I got it on a trade many years ago... an amazing guitar despite the fact that I think the body might be an old Squire body. The neck is a Warmoth with rosewood and birds-eye maple, and it's beautiful - and very thick... so the notes ring out beautifully. Two humbuckers for that Jimmy Page feel and sound. Originally I got it with some hot Seymour Duncan pickups but I've since bought some cheap chinese PAF Pro copies that sound amazing, I would never trade them back for Seymours (I used to have the Seymour Duncan 59s on an ES-335 copy, and they didn't nail that PAF sound like these chinese pickups do...)

With one of my favorite combinations - K10D and Sigma 30 1.4 Art. Same simple PP treatment.
Sounds like you've got a nice guitar. It's good to find one that's really pleasing. I've got a 1962 Strat I bought for a normal price back in 1975/6. I couldn't afford that year now! For a long time I've been thinking I should get the K10 and take some 'arty' pics. It's black so I think I'd go for mono.

03-11-2021, 02:14 PM   #6797
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RussV Quote
Sounds like you've got a nice guitar. It's good to find one that's really pleasing. I've got a 1962 Strat I bought for a normal price back in 1975/6. I couldn't afford that year now! For a long time I've been thinking I should get the K10 and take some 'arty' pics. It's black so I think I'd go for mono.
I would say, what are you waiting for
03-12-2021, 11:06 AM - 5 Likes   #6798
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Making my way to the top - DA18-135 on K10D:

View from the top:
03-12-2021, 11:26 AM   #6799
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Making my way to the top - DA18-135 on K10D:

View from the top:
The light is very different there , compared to the east coast . Don’t know what it is .

03-12-2021, 12:07 PM   #6800
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by glinda Quote
The light is very different there , compared to the east coast . Don’t know what it is .
The air isn't always this clear, but when it is, it's beautiful.
03-12-2021, 02:08 PM   #6801

QuoteOriginally posted by niceshot Quote
Long Island NY
Is the graining from a high ISO setting?
Still looks gorgeous! I love the glowing sunlight of dusk or dawn....makes me want to get up early just to catch a nice image of it

First one with DA 35 Limited and the other two with Rikenon XR 50mm f/1.4 stuck wide open (I did it for the bokeh... nothing's quite like that lens for bokeh...)

I thought these lenses worked out well as a set. The pictures just had basic level adjustments in RawTherapee and I then applied the Kodachrome 64 emulation.
I'm jealous of your fast lenses one day I'd like to own a 1.4 as well, for that bokeh. And of course some of the marvellous Limited's
I like the first image in particular. You managed to capture both the beautiful wood grain as well as the lacquer's sheen.
03-12-2021, 02:28 PM - 1 Like   #6802
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by blankmampf Quote
Still looks gorgeous! I love the glowing sunlight of dusk or dawn....makes me want to get up early just to catch a nice image of it

I'm jealous of your fast lenses one day I'd like to own a 1.4 as well, for that bokeh. And of course some of the marvellous Limited's
I like the first image in particular. You managed to capture both the beautiful wood grain as well as the lacquer's sheen.
If you're jealous already, then I shouldn't tell you how I got a Pentax-K 50mm f/1.2 basically for free...

On that RIkenon XR - I have sentimental value for it because it was my first f/1.4 lens, but it has issues... it's stuck wide open. I almost gave it away recently, as fixing it would cost more than buying another one... and after the aperture broke, I bought a Rikenon P 50mm f/1.4 here in the forums. The Rikenon is a better lens in almost all aspects - except that the simpler, more uncorrected optics of the older XR version give it a really unique and beautiful bokeh... so I'll try to get mine fixed and cleaned sometime.

I don't know if it's the same in Germany as in the US, but you used to be able to buy a film camera setup from someone, and it would sometimes come with a valuable lens or two... that is how I ended up with the K 50mm /1.2 (and the SMC-M 100mm f/2.8). They do have a bit of fungus but I killed it and had it dry out and it does not affect the image quality as far as I can tell.

Speaking of Germany, I see you're from near Hamburg and most of my family comes from that area. When I hear people from Hamburg I hear it being very close to my parents and grandparents accent. One day I'll visit...

Good luck in your fast lenses search
03-12-2021, 07:08 PM   #6803

If you're jealous already, then I shouldn't tell you how I got a Pentax-K 50mm f/1.2 basically for free...

On that RIkenon XR - I have sentimental value for it because it was my first f/1.4 lens, but it has issues... it's stuck wide open. I almost gave it away recently, as fixing it would cost more than buying another one... and after the aperture broke, I bought a Rikenon P 50mm f/1.4 here in the forums. The Rikenon is a better lens in almost all aspects - except that the simpler, more uncorrected optics of the older XR version give it a really unique and beautiful bokeh... so I'll try to get mine fixed and cleaned sometime.

I don't know if it's the same in Germany as in the US, but you used to be able to buy a film camera setup from someone, and it would sometimes come with a valuable lens or two... that is how I ended up with the K 50mm /1.2 (and the SMC-M 100mm f/2.8). They do have a bit of fungus but I killed it and had it dry out and it does not affect the image quality as far as I can tell.

Speaking of Germany, I see you're from near Hamburg and most of my family comes from that area. When I hear people from Hamburg I hear it being very close to my parents and grandparents accent. One day I'll visit...

Good luck in your fast lenses search
Thanks! I keep browsing eBay, but most lenses are priced as they should - and in the case of F/1.4 lenses, that means at or above 80€.
Still that's peanuts compared to what you would pay for a modern lens with marginally better image quality and autofocus, so I suppose I can't complain too much.

I like to tinker myself, so I'll have to get one of those lens disassembly kits one day. One of the lenses I bought used recently has a bit of fungus inside, another some sort of haze on one of the lenses.

And Hamburg has many nice spots as well I spent a few weeks there on an internship, and visited a few times before that.

03-13-2021, 06:46 AM   #6804
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by blankmampf Quote

yes most likely, and thx
03-13-2021, 01:45 PM - 2 Likes   #6805
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

First glimpse of Gibraltar, taken in 2010. K-10D and FA 28-80mm.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
03-14-2021, 10:46 AM - 4 Likes   #6806
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Looking at Africa, across the Strait of Gibraltar, in 2010. K-10D and FA 28-80mm.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
03-14-2021, 12:34 PM - 2 Likes   #6807
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos (?) at the beach, Ventura Calif. DA18-135 on K10D:
03-14-2021, 02:26 PM - 6 Likes   #6808

Last snow

smc DA 35mm 2.8 macro limited on K10D
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
03-15-2021, 06:23 AM - 4 Likes   #6809
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

M 40/ 2.8

---------- Post added 03-15-21 at 09:34 AM ----------

Why do I need any other camera , than this one ?

---------- Post added 03-15-21 at 09:36 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Peka Quote
smc DA 35mm 2.8 macro limited on K10D
I like it , nice spot , as well as nice shot .
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
03-15-2021, 08:06 AM - 1 Like   #6810

A rainy day is Macro day.
My latest lens arrived - a 75-205mm F/3.8 Vivitar Close Focus. A steal at 17€, shipping included. I wonder how much it has cost back in the day when it was new, as expected, the craftsmanship just makes it an absolute beauty.

Here she is, photographed with my favourite 50mm F/1.7
Not all that much longer than my 80-200mm Tokina, but somehow she seems much more serious. No push-pull zoom/focus, but rather two dedicated rings. It might also be my oldest lens so far.

If there's no sun outside, make your own!
This is the 50mm F/1.7 mentioned. At the right angle, the coating turns a beautiful orange - the perfect opportunity to test the heralded close focussing prowess of the Vivitar. I think it might become my new favourite all-purpose lens. I may just imagine it, but its images also look more vivid than those of the Tokina.