Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12492 Likes Search this Thread
03-19-2021, 06:47 AM   #6826
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
^^^^^
That is a most entertaining explanation.

03-19-2021, 08:25 AM   #6827
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
To put it bluntly, it's clobbered.
ouch. Hope you find something to replace it soon.
Now if that K1J had a self deploying air bag in that top cover, that would be something!
03-19-2021, 08:55 AM   #6828
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Back in my days in the travel industry, if a plane couldn't fly because of a mechanical failure we said it had "gone tech". If a plane that was meant to be flying fell out of the sky for some reason, we said it had experienced a "vertical excursion incident". And if the vertical excursion incident left it in a million little pieces, we said it had suffered "energetic disassembly".

Well, I was taking some snaps at a place called Magpie Viaduct yesterday, and my GX-10 experienced a gravity assisted vertical excursion incident. It didn't energetically disassemble, being far too well built for that, but it has most definitely gone tech. Fatally discombobulated, in fact.

On the plus side, it'll give me an excuse to pick up a vanilla K10D at some point.
The upside is that a K10D or another GX-10 should not cost you an arm and a leg.

I'm sorry to hear about it though, it is never fun when this kind of thing happens. I am fortunate enough that I didn't ever break anything major, but I dopped a couple lenses so I have a couple of filter rings that are bent or broken off... but nothing happened to the optics thank God.
03-19-2021, 09:23 AM   #6829
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bummer, Dave. Hope you can find a replacement soon. I'm hoping to salvage my beloved *ist D - my first Pentax and first DSLR I've been shooting with for eleven years. I'd stupidly left it overnight out in the enclosed patio, where temps had dipped into the low 40s F. I literally have the camera sitting in a sealed plastic bag full of rice, hoping to "decloud" the viewfinder.

Good luck in your search, and hope to see you back in action soon!

03-19-2021, 10:26 AM - 2 Likes   #6830

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
If you're jealous already, then I shouldn't tell you how I got a Pentax-K 50mm f/1.2 basically for free...

On that RIkenon XR - I have sentimental value for it because it was my first f/1.4 lens, but it has issues... it's stuck wide open. I almost gave it away recently, as fixing it would cost more than buying another one... and after the aperture broke, I bought a Rikenon P 50mm f/1.4 here in the forums. The Rikenon is a better lens in almost all aspects - except that the simpler, more uncorrected optics of the older XR version give it a really unique and beautiful bokeh... so I'll try to get mine fixed and cleaned sometime.

I don't know if it's the same in Germany as in the US, but you used to be able to buy a film camera setup from someone, and it would sometimes come with a valuable lens or two... that is how I ended up with the K 50mm /1.2 (and the SMC-M 100mm f/2.8). They do have a bit of fungus but I killed it and had it dry out and it does not affect the image quality as far as I can tell.

Speaking of Germany, I see you're from near Hamburg and most of my family comes from that area. When I hear people from Hamburg I hear it being very close to my parents and grandparents accent. One day I'll visit...

Good luck in your fast lenses search
News on my hunt for fast lenses! I now own my first 50mm F/1.4, one made by Auto Revuenon. It was a very lucky find - I managed to win a bid on a box of three Pentax lenses, only paying 31€ for all of them including shipping, the F/1.4 alone usually goes for over 50€ here

The other two were an Auto Revuenon 200mm F/3.5 (feeling lighter than I expected, and now my fastest Tele), and a curious Auto-Revuenon 35-100mm F/3.5-4.5, somehow giving me a "Russian" gist, large, boxy, and decently heavy.

I've spent the last four hours trying to clean them, because they all had fungus inside.
My first time trying, and I suppose it went okay. Very hard to unscrew the 200mm, and even harder not to leave any dust inside between the three lenses of the pack.

The 35-100mm was the complete opposite, very easy to open up with just a single screw, but the front lens won't clean up properly with isopropanol.

As for the 50mm F/1.4, it finally gave me reason to order one of those lens disassembly tools but I'm confident it'll turn out fine.
03-19-2021, 10:30 AM   #6831
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

On the plus side, it'll give me an excuse to pick up a vanilla K10D at some point.
Sorry to hear that, Dave! At least it left behind a long, much treasured, legacy! It certainly won't be forgotten by any of us who make a home in this thread.
03-19-2021, 10:35 AM   #6832

@Dartmoor Dave
Very sorry to hear about the demise of your camera.

I hope it has seen many wondrous sights in its time, and lived a full life.

03-19-2021, 10:47 AM - 4 Likes   #6833
Pentaxian

I had to try my new HD DA 18-50mm on the K10D...

And I have to say I'm a bit surprised by the rich, beautiful colors I'm getting from that combination. Even more so than the K200D. Just gorgeous.

The lens focuses pretty close, too.

I'm a believer in HD coatings now. People who can afford the new HD FA Limiteds should be in for a treat!
03-19-2021, 11:02 AM   #6834
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by blankmampf Quote
News on my hunt for fast lenses! I now own my first 50mm F/1.4, one made by Auto Revuenon. It was a very lucky find - I managed to win a bid on a box of three Pentax lenses, only paying 31€ for all of them including shipping, the F/1.4 alone usually goes for over 50€ here

The other two were an Auto Revuenon 200mm F/3.5 (feeling lighter than I expected, and now my fastest Tele), and a curious Auto-Revuenon 35-100mm F/3.5-4.5, somehow giving me a "Russian" gist, large, boxy, and decently heavy.

I've spent the last four hours trying to clean them, because they all had fungus inside.
My first time trying, and I suppose it went okay. Very hard to unscrew the 200mm, and even harder not to leave any dust inside between the three lenses of the pack.

The 35-100mm was the complete opposite, very easy to open up with just a single screw, but the front lens won't clean up properly with isopropanol.

As for the 50mm F/1.4, it finally gave me reason to order one of those lens disassembly tools but I'm confident it'll turn out fine.
Ah I'm the one envying you now. You know how to clean lenses!

I had only one attempt to clean a lens' fungus, it was an SMC-M 50mm f2. I figure, it's already worth nothing, if I lose the lens in the process, I lose nothing. Result: I could never get to the elements that had the fungus in the front, and I messed up the iris which I was not able to fix. Trash it became...

Recently I fixed my K-S1 aperture block but in the process I messed up the K-S1 casing, breaking off a part of the trim which now exposes the innards to dust.

So I'm not about to open up any good lens. I can only fix things that are easy to fix and I can't really break, like my guitar's electronics.

Therefore my SMC-M 150mm f/3.5 which I'm told is a pretty good lens, sits unused because I haven't been able to fix it... and my attempt to sell it cheap did not yield any results. I have 3 other lenses with light fungus - SMC 50mm f/1.2, SMC-M 200mm f4 and SMC-M 100mm f/2.8, but those don't have any optical issues and still take great pictures.
03-19-2021, 03:31 PM   #6835
dbs
Pentaxian

Hi Dave

Sorry to hear your K10D has failed to fire.
I have to ask what is a ' vanilla ' K10 and hope you find one ?

Dave
03-19-2021, 03:37 PM - 5 Likes   #6836
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Back in my days in the travel industry, if a plane couldn't fly because of a mechanical failure we said it had "gone tech". If a plane that was meant to be flying fell out of the sky for some reason, we said it had experienced a "vertical excursion incident". And if the vertical excursion incident left it in a million little pieces, we said it had suffered "energetic disassembly".

Well, I was taking some snaps at a place called Magpie Viaduct yesterday, and my GX-10 experienced a gravity assisted vertical excursion incident. It didn't energetically disassemble, being far too well built for that, but it has most definitely gone tech. Fatally discombobulated, in fact.

Oh Dave, that is sad news but, as expected, you can see the positive side. Here's hoping that you are soon able to get yourself a good K10D. They are out there so I wish you luck. They are tough cameras but there are limits as to how much they can withstand.

---------- Post added 20-03-21 at 09:41 AM ----------

Australian Water Dragon at Lane Cove National Park. He looks like a healthy young fellow who is looking for love.
The red on his chest and underbelly indicates that he is ready to mate. Pentax K10D, DA 50-200mm.

03-19-2021, 03:51 PM   #6837
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
Australian Water Dragon
Nice detail, Ray!
03-19-2021, 04:05 PM   #6838
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Nice detail, Ray!
Many thanks, Paul.
03-19-2021, 06:54 PM - 2 Likes   #6839

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Ah I'm the one envying you now. You know how to clean lenses!

I had only one attempt to clean a lens' fungus, it was an SMC-M 50mm f2. I figure, it's already worth nothing, if I lose the lens in the process, I lose nothing. Result: I could never get to the elements that had the fungus in the front, and I messed up the iris which I was not able to fix. Trash it became...

Recently I fixed my K-S1 aperture block but in the process I messed up the K-S1 casing, breaking off a part of the trim which now exposes the innards to dust.

So I'm not about to open up any good lens. I can only fix things that are easy to fix and I can't really break, like my guitar's electronics.

Therefore my SMC-M 150mm f/3.5 which I'm told is a pretty good lens, sits unused because I haven't been able to fix it... and my attempt to sell it cheap did not yield any results. I have 3 other lenses with light fungus - SMC 50mm f/1.2, SMC-M 200mm f4 and SMC-M 100mm f/2.8, but those don't have any optical issues and still take great pictures.
I wouldn't call it "knowing how to clean" yet. It's been a very difficult process, with that 200mm in particular, and it's next to impossible to clean the lenses and get them back in dust-free.
During my studies I regularly work at lamilar flow cabinets....to do it properly, you'd probably need one of those during the reassembly!
And my F/1.4 still isn't up to shape yet at first it would no longer focus to infinity, and now focus works again, but the marks of focus distance and shutter are off by about 2 stops. Probably messed up the helicoil alignment....it's a learning process.

I may take the 35-100mm and the 200mm prime out tomorrow and see how they perform. I now have so many lenses, especially 80-200mm zooms, that I have to rank them somehow....
03-20-2021, 12:06 AM   #6840
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
red on his chest and underbelly
Another wonderful photo Ray! - and I didn't know that .