Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2014, 04:32 PM   #676
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Sigma 17-70 v1 (xposted)
Another fine image from the Sigma. Very pleasant, Paul.

08-24-2014, 10:07 AM   #677
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
Another fine image from the Sigma. Very pleasant, Paul.
Thanks Ray. Here's another from that same evening...
08-26-2014, 03:38 AM - 1 Like   #678
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Here's another from that same evening...
Very nice lighting on that one, Paul.

---------- Post added 08-26-2014 at 08:47 PM ----------

Now, here is something you don't see everyday. Taken in light rain with K10D (of course) and Sigma 17-70 DC HSM Contemporary on a photography club outing.

It is called a sculpture park.

08-26-2014, 02:42 PM   #679
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
*sniff* poor 300sl..

08-26-2014, 03:17 PM   #680
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tromboads Quote
*sniff* poor 300sl..
I agree. It met a very undignified end.
08-26-2014, 07:05 PM   #681
Inactive Account

Aww, come on! Infested with and (in my mind) eaten by giant ants. We could make a whole Sci-Fi series about this.
08-26-2014, 08:41 PM   #682
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by calicojack Quote
Aww, come on! Infested with and (in my mind) eaten by giant ants. We could make a whole Sci-Fi series about this.
Hey, you could be onto something there. What shall we call it - "The Ants ate a red Mercedes"?

08-27-2014, 01:51 AM - 2 Likes   #683
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by calicojack Quote
Infested with and (in my mind) eaten by giant ants. We could make a whole Sci-Fi series about this.

Pentax K10D - Sigma 180mm f/3.5 APO EX with 25mm extension tube.

Is this what you had in mind?
08-27-2014, 04:20 AM   #684

Photos: Albums
Classic John Wyndham Sci fi at it's best!
08-27-2014, 06:29 AM   #685
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Pentax K10D - Sigma 180mm f/3.5 APO EX with 25mm extension tube.

Is this what you had in mind?
A few flakes of red paint on the ground and we'd be well on our way!
08-27-2014, 06:33 AM   #686
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm sure the car's previous owners never in their wildest dreams imagined such a sad ending...
08-30-2014, 12:58 AM - 1 Like   #687
Pentaxian

These are just a couple of quick handheld test shots from a short walk with my new Zenitar 16mm. I got the M42 version brand new for a ridiculously cheap £60 GBP. For that price I wasn't expecting much, but I'm actually very pleasantly surprised.

It turned out that all those horror stories about the condition the Zenitar arrives in from the factory are true. The lens was awful straight out of the box, and I had to spend two evenings tweaking and adjusting to get it right. I made the following modifications:

Permanently converted to K mount.
Partially disassembled the lens to clean out all the crud and dust left over from manufacturing.
Adjusted to achieve infinity focus, which was set incorrectly by the factory.
Tested with and without the factory-fitted clear rear filter. Found contrast and sharpness much better without it. Adjusted infinity focus again to work without the filter.
Adjusted the aperture ring so that the actual light coming through the diaphragm matches the f-stop marked on the lens. It was out by a whole stop.
Attached a metal hood. Had to attach it permanently, as there is no filter ring.

And now that it's finally working properly, I love it. It's the best value for money I've ever had from a new lens by miles. The only processing on the test shots above is to set black and white points, defish using the PT Lens plug-in, and a very light sharpen. Properly adjusted, the Zenitar is so sharp that very little post-capture sharpening is needed. But I can only recommend it if you don't mind doing some work with a set of screwdrivers first.
08-30-2014, 05:24 AM - 1 Like   #688
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I enjoy seeing everyone's work here using their K10D. Thanks to all of you for sharing your images.

Here's a shot from earlier this month. I was attempting to catch a blue heron in flight using a Tamron AF 70-300mm F4-5.6 LD. But it turned out a blurry mess. However, my wife loves the abstractness of it, and now it hangs in our living room on a 24x36 canvas. So, in the end, I'm very pleased with the result.

Fred
09-01-2014, 12:54 AM   #689
Pentaxian

Made it out for a walk with the Zenitar 16mm again yesterday. Loving this lens. There's something almost Velvia-like in the way it renders on the CCD sensor. (Defished using PT Lens)

EDIT: The house in the background is Nun's Cross Farm. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle used it as the setting for the murderer's cottage in "The Hound of the Baskervilles". It's located on the western edge of Foxtor Mire, which Conan Doyle called Grimpound Mire in the novel, and which is the famous hound's lair. The idea for the hound itself was based on the ancient Dartmoor legend of the satanic Wisht Hounds, which were believed to roam the moor in search of the souls of unwary travellers and unbaptized babies.

Last edited by Dartmoor Dave; 09-01-2014 at 02:42 AM.
09-01-2014, 02:47 AM   #690
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
Made it out for a walk with the Zenitar 16mm again yesterday. Loving this lens. There's something almost Velvia-like in the way it renders on the CCD sensor. (Defished using PT Lens)
You and that Zenitar are certainly producing good images. I guess you knew what you were getting but I doubt that I would have been happy having to do all that work on a new lens. Still, it seems like it was worth the effort.

---------- Post added 09-01-2014 at 07:51 PM ----------

Here's one from today with the K10D and Sigma 17-70. Processed this one from the embedded JPG, not the RAW. Sometimes I just can't improve on the JPEGs that the K10D produces.