Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2015, 08:44 AM   #961
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I agree that the face of the boy seems a little off focus; however his shirt appears sharp.

Again, however, the "colors" of the K10D shine!

01-27-2015, 09:16 AM   #962
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tromboads Quote
The landscape with the 24mm looks great. Was it really that much brighter towards the background?

Thanks. Believe it or not, I actually had to darken the sunlit background slightly in post to get everything within printable range. It's a thing that happens here on Dartmoor: most of the landscape will be in gloom, but you'll get sunlit patches that can be four or five stops brighter than the rest of the scene. Since these effects of the light only last for a second or two, it'll test your metering technique to the max. I usually spot meter and put the brightest part of the scene where I still want detail into Zone VII, which seems to be about the limit of the K10D sensor.

QuoteOriginally posted by theunartist Quote
I still prefer this body to others I have, the major drawback for me is the accuracy of the Auto Focus but I use a lot of MF lenses with these bodies! I believe the focus on this image is ever so slightly off...

I think it's in focus, looking at the shirts, but I think there's a tiny bit of motion blur in the kids' faces from shooting at 1/60. Wow, there are some wonderful shots in your Flickr K10D album.
01-27-2015, 03:54 PM   #963
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
Thanks. Believe it or not, I actually had to darken the sunlit background slightly in post to get everything within printable range. It's a thing that happens here on Dartmoor: most of the landscape will be in gloom, but you'll get sunlit patches that can be four or five stops brighter than the rest of the scene. Since these effects of the light only last for a second or two, it'll test your metering technique to the max. I usually spot meter and put the brightest part of the scene where I still want detail into Zone VII, which seems to be about the limit of the K10D sensor.
Ah fair enough! And yes striking light to play with. It's like someone above the clouds has just let a flash gun off.
01-27-2015, 05:12 PM   #964
Veteran Member

Oh also, I was bragging about finally getting an eye piece cover.

yeah lost it already

VIVE LA PENTAX!

01-28-2015, 10:38 AM   #965
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh also, I was bragging about finally getting an eye piece cover.

yeah lost it already

VIVE LA PENTAX!
That is EXACTLY why we buy them.

...and then we find them again...

And we put them somewhere that we will always know where they are.
01-28-2015, 02:56 PM   #966
Unregistered User

I seem to have a bunch of them laying around

Never used them...
01-28-2015, 04:48 PM   #967
Veteran Member

Ah, when i mean eye piece cover, I suppose I mean an eye cup.

Pentax Japan Original EYE Piece Eyecup FP 30184 FOR K10D K200D K20D | eBay

I've bought and lost 2 of them.. This one fitted a little more snugly, how could I possible loose it?

and 45mins into my walk it was gone :P

01-29-2015, 01:27 AM   #968
Unregistered User

If it happens when you have the camera around your neck just turn your strap and camera around so that the lens points downward and the problem should go away.
01-29-2015, 06:09 AM   #969
Pentaxian

Ah, when i mean eye piece cover, I suppose I mean an eye cup.

If you don't wear glasses, this would be an ideal time to get a magnifying eyepiece: Pentax O-ME53 Magnifying Eyecup 30150 B&H Photo Video

It makes the poky little APS-C viewfinder seem usefully bigger, and it's a huge help with focusing manual lenses. I wouldn't be without it.

Not much use if you wear specs though: you won't be able to see the corners of the frame.
01-29-2015, 06:07 PM   #970
Veteran Member

Yes I have thought about those.. Initially the extra few mm's of width turned me off it, But I might have a proper think..
01-30-2015, 01:25 AM   #971
Veteran Member

Oh bought a SANDISK EXTREME PRO UHS-I 633X U3 (10) card today :P

Golly gosh not expecting the K10 to support such intense advertised speeds.. I still put it up against the other cards here just for some sanity, and well. We have the following;

Sandisk 8g (4)
Lexar 4g (4) but 60x according to the sticker
Sandisk Extreme PRO 16g UHS-I (U3) (10)

Flying Spaghetti Monster look at all those ridiculous numbers. Anyway. A multi-shot test to fill the buffer, (shooting raw+jpg) and then an additional frame, then wait for the red writing light to go out. The Results!

Sandisk 8g, 37 seconds
Lexar 4g, 22 seconds
Sandisk 16g, 11 seconds

Now what does My Camera actually support....

#googles a bit..

Oh Flying Spaghetti Monster I can't be bothered. It's quicker. I'm happy, and because my camera is so old I don't even know if its a real card or a fake card.. I.e. I don't care It's still quicker

VIVE LA UHS-I
01-30-2015, 01:55 AM - 1 Like   #972
Pentaxian

I measure the speed of my SD cards in ETWPS units: Equivalent Thumb Winds Per Second. ETWPS units are of course based on the international standard of the K1000.

While we're all in consumer advice mode, I want to give a heads-up to anyone in the K10D club still using ancient versions of Photoshop Elements. I had some gift vouchers that needed using up, so I've just upgraded my ancient Elements 7 to the more recent Elements 12, and the difference is simply staggering. The amount of extra detail and sharpness that Elements 12 pulls out of each raw file is mindblowing. It is, genuinely, as if the photo elves had visited in the night and doubled the resolution of my sensor. It's like having a whole new camera, but with the same colour rendering that I know and love.

So if your copy of Elements is out of date, take my word for it and upgrade. I'll try to post some comparisons at the weekend.
01-30-2015, 02:00 AM   #973
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sandisk 8g, 37 seconds
Lexar 4g, 22 seconds
Sandisk 16g, 11 seconds

Thanks, good too know.
01-30-2015, 07:05 AM - 1 Like   #974
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
I think it's in focus, looking at the shirts, but I think there's a tiny bit of motion blur in the kids' faces from shooting at 1/60. Wow, there are some wonderful shots in your Flickr K10D album.
Yes, I agree, operator error Plus I probably intentionally softened that photo to give it a smoother appearance. I just don't trust the AF on the K10D, but results show it can focus accurately using both AF and MF lenses. I use my K20D for most AF lenses since this body has AF adjustment built in. But I love the K10 for manual lenses!

Samples from K10D using both AF and Manual Focus lenses...

K10D + Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 135/2.5 @ 100% Crop That's about as good a focus job as I could do

k10smctak135-01
by theunartist, on Flickr

K10D + Pentax A 35-105/3.5

Batter Up

K10D + Tamron AF 28-105/4.0-5.6 Auto Focus

IMGP7207tam
01-30-2015, 10:40 AM   #975
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had a fairly severe backfocus problem on my K10D which I was able to correct by using the debug menu. AF accuracy seems pretty good now. This was taken using an old Sigma AF 28-70 Epsilon zoom: https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/sigma-28-70mm-f3-5-4-5-epsilon.html