Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2015, 05:07 PM - 1 Like   #1006
Site Supporter

Hi All

Am totally new to Pentax - Specifically the K10D and have just been exploring the setting this last two weeks or so.

Know it is winter but am finding images seem a little "blah"

So changed several settings today to see the results (Pic further down this post)

Am sort of Influenced by Infrared for the last 3 Years that has now been said goodbye too including all those IR cameras.

Have had a LOT of advice etc on this forum and from a Local Pentax enthusiast.

So here is a one I took today all being it Cloudy dull etc in the middle of winter with the new settings

Comments & Observations welcomed on this "On FROZEN Pond" image from Fernie B.C. today Friday 02.13.2015

Do NOT know how to include Exif!!!

Cheers for years
Colin

02-13-2015, 05:14 PM   #1007
Veteran Member

Nice shot, colin. I like it.

The k10 jpegs at default settings always had the repuatation of being a bit "flat". I set mine early on to vivid and tweaked saturatiin, contrast etc to my liking. Also, shooting raw and converting in Acr has always delivered better detail than the camera's jpeg engine.

Really like the color tones in your shot.
02-13-2015, 05:20 PM   #1008
Site Supporter

OOOPPPSSS!!! sorry saladin

This was processed from Raw/DxO Pro 8/Tiff etc to a jpeg that was always needed to upload elsewhere!!!

And it still seems a little "blah" to me

Cheers for years
Colin
02-13-2015, 05:24 PM   #1009
Veteran Member

viewing on my computer monitor - rather than tablet - its not terribly sharp ( not quite sure where the focus is} - but i still like the colors and feel of the shot. Is it cropped by any chance? or high iso / long exposure?

02-13-2015, 05:28 PM   #1010
Site Supporter

Thank you AGAIN

Yep it is "Cropped" and I added the max Sharpening within the camera and elsewhere in Post Processing

What in the heck am I doing WRONG hehehe

Cheers for years
Colin
02-13-2015, 05:32 PM   #1011
Veteran Member

well, post up the the key details ( iso, shutter speed, aperture, focal length, lens etc) and you'll probably get some opinions and analysis back. there are some very savvy k10 users in this thread. as a general observation, and speaking from experience, lol, cranking up the sharpness doesn't fix lack of focus or DOF.
02-13-2015, 05:43 PM   #1012
Site Supporter

Thank you saladin

Will do - on "Av" ISO 100 1/90sec F11 Lens Pentax 28-80 Sharpening 2(max) Saturation 0 & Contrast 0

Think that covers it all

Of possible can someone show me how to include Exif???

Cheers for years
Colin
02-14-2015, 03:04 AM   #1013
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hi Colin. I really like that shot. It shows an excellent eye for composition, with the lines of the river edge snaking up from the bottom left and leading the viewer's eye into the picture. Everything else is just technicalities about how to get what you want out of the camera.

First things first: I don't think it looks flat and dull at all on my calibrated monitor. In fact, if you added much more punch I think it would start to look fake. So the question is: are you using a calibrated monitor? If not, it's well worth investing in a calibration device like a Spyder, so that you'll be working on your photographs as they truly are.

Remember that any in-camera settings that you select for sharpness, contrast and saturation will have no effect when you're shooting raw. They only apply to jpegs straight from the camera.

As for sharpening: it's important to get your input sharpening right with K10D raw files. This is the initial sharpening that you apply in Camera Raw to overcome the slight blur induced by the camera's anti-aliasing filter. I find that the settings that usually work for me are Amount: 100, Radius: 1.0, Detail: 28, Masking: 10. But I bet that others here will have their own very strongly held views on that subject. I'm not claiming to be any great expert -- in fact, you might well look at my own photos and decide that that's exactly what you DON'T want to do.

I get the impression that (like many of us in the K10D Club) you're an experienced film photographer who is making the transition to digital. You certainly seem to have a natural eye for it, so apologies if this is all stuff that you already know. The only other thing I'll mention for the moment is that the old film era 28-80mm zooms are usually not the sharpest lenses around. If you don't mind working with manual focus, something like the Pentax M28mm/2.8 can be had very cheaply and will give much better results than any of the old consumer-grade 28-80mm zooms.

Dave

02-14-2015, 03:18 AM   #1014
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Plus 1 for what Dave said. get a couple of good primes (if you haven't already) then forget about all the other lenses and just enjoy shooting I like that comp to because it reminds me of;

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/21/Adams_The_Tetons_and_the_Snake_River.jpg

02-14-2015, 07:50 AM   #1015
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kamicota Quote
So here is a one I took today all being it Cloudy dull etc in the middle of winter with the new settings
I think you're off to a good start here. Composition & colors are very good imo, sharpness could be better. Was this heavily cropped? That might contribute to the overall slightly soft appearance. Others here have offered some good advice regarding sharpening & lens selection. Shooting RAW will give you much more flexibility in processing the K10's images. Welcome to the Club!
02-14-2015, 08:25 AM   #1016

IMO It may also be slightly over exposed, a little under will give richer colours.
02-14-2015, 01:37 PM   #1017
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kamicota Quote
Hi All

Am totally new to Pentax - Specifically the K10D and have just been exploring the setting this last two weeks or so.

Know it is winter but am finding images seem a little "blah"

So changed several settings today to see the results (Pic further down this post)

Am sort of Influenced by Infrared for the last 3 Years that has now been said goodbye too including all those IR cameras.

Have had a LOT of advice etc on this forum and from a Local Pentax enthusiast.

Comments & Observations welcomed on this "On FROZEN Pond" image from Fernie B.C. today Friday 02.13.2015

Do NOT know how to include Exif!!!

Cheers for years
Colin
QuoteOriginally posted by RussV Quote
IMO It may also be slightly over exposed, a little under will give richer colours.
I agree with RussV, this looks like it is well overexposed. Colors look unnatural to me, and for a grey day, your image is rather bright but one cannot find any shadows. I am thinking this is probably your PP...

Personally, I would record both in RAW and JPEG, which the K10 can do. You would be surprised how hard it is to get a raw file to look as good as the jpeg file. Also, I probably shoot the vast majority of my K10 photos at -1/3 or more exposure compensation, I find the metering in the K10 to consistently overexpose in darker/grey scenes (which is natural for the way a light meter works). As far as settings go, I use basic settings, no extra contrast, sharpness, saturation etc. I only use "center weighted" or occasionally "spot" metering.

K10D + Pentax A 35-70/4.0 this was a dark scene but I still needed to compensate -2/3 on the exposure. The camera meter would have tried to give it more exposure to lighten scene...

Signs
by theunartist, on Flickr

My K10D Album
02-14-2015, 06:11 PM   #1018
Site Supporter

Thank you all for all the VALUABLE comments & observations.
Now I will try and address them one by one OK!!!

saladin

I have not been shooting Raw + Jpeg ONLY Raw. Have only been using DxO Pro 8 and possibly the ACR may be needed for a comparison. This shot had All Saturation/Sharpness?Contrast INCREASED 2 to three stops - NOT realizing they do not affect Raw.

Do have "huey Pro" by Panatone but have been scared to use it. It's ISO was 100 EV was 0 and it WAS cropped. And shot AF11 on Av.

Processing Dxo Default settings - Lighten up with Nik HDR one shot - and a little more saturation.

Monitor NOT Calibrated real reluctant to use "huey Pro Panatone"

This is the second time I heard this and it has finally sink in about settings not applying to Raw. Therse make a lot of sense right now --->>>
Amount: 100, Radius: 1.0, Detail: 28, Masking: 10.

Actually Dave I have only been taking pics for the last 3 or 4 Years or of which # years were ALL Digital Infrared Cameras so I am still coming out of that mold.

The Lens used was a Pentax 28-80mm and on it's barrel it says - A 22 16 11 8 56.6 3.5 likely not one of the sharpest around but better than the first lens I traded for it. I am NOT a Manual Focus kinda guy either hehehe. The Prime 28mm seems like an interesting proposition.

Because of my ??? with these last few days of experimenting even went looking @ K-x instedad but right now that seems up in the air until there is some measure of satisfaction with results from & with the K10D.

Agree about sharpness that gave me the "Collywobbles" too. & yes the Left Side of Pic was cropped. and thank you for the welcome.

I have been noticing the "Overexposure" on this and many other shots I have take- think it is time to take it down to -1.0 EV or so.

Brightness came via Nik Software One shot HDR "BRIGHT". Just changed setting to Raw+ & hope I did it right from the menu hehehe.

Thank you one and all next "ClickClickClick" may be tomorrow Sunday 15 Feb. And will see what we come up with on the settings befire heading out.

Set Contrast etc back to the center for NOW.

Cheers for Years
Colin
02-15-2015, 12:01 AM - 1 Like   #1019
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Street Ratz Car Show

Took the K10D to another car show today and it did not disappoint. Check out these colours:

02-15-2015, 12:22 AM   #1020
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
Took the K10D to another car show today and it did not disappoint. Check out these colours:

Fantastic Ray! Love the red Pontiac convertible. That last one looks like about a '66 or '67 Dodge or Plymouth of some kind. A neighbor is doing a restoration of one just like this - I'll prob. show him your photo to inspire him a bit