Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2015, 07:00 PM   #1036
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This an old picture taken several years ago with my K10. It was one the first and few HDR images I ever did. This was taken with my 20+ year old 28-80 A Takmumar Lens. Funny thing is i read all the time from people here how terrible the K10D is for manaul focus. i never changed the focus screen either it still has the orginal.

02-25-2015, 04:22 AM - 1 Like   #1037
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kamicota Quote
And as always I just love to at times "Over Saturate"

I think the over-saturation works on this one. It gives it a sort of 1950s postcard look that suits the subject well.

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Some snaps from the dogpark with a K10D & DAL 50-200

I love the first one of the people at the riverside. It gives a wonderfully evocative sense of relaxing at the end of a long day, and does the most important thing a photograph can do: it makes me feel.

QuoteOriginally posted by Scorpio71GR Quote
Funny thing is i read all the time from people here how terrible the K10D is for manaul focus. i never changed the focus screen either it still has the orginal.

I agree. I still use the stock screen, although I've carefully re-shimmed it for maximum accuracy. Most of my lenses are Takumars with f/3.5 maximum apertures, so the stock screen works fine. But I think if I used faster lenses more often I'd want a split screen to nail that razor-thin depth of focus.

Here's a five shot stitch with the Zenitar 16mm, taken yesterday at the Royal Navy Cenotaph in Plymouth. That hefty lump of cheap Russian iron is rapidly becoming my favourite lens.

02-25-2015, 10:55 AM   #1038

Thank you Dave about the saturation

Like what that 16mm lens did and especially YOUR perspective with the stitching panoramas

Cheers for Years
Colin
02-26-2015, 01:15 AM   #1039
Veteran Member

Well I've been playing with my shiny new AF200T flashes and a couple of cheap Chinese triggers

Click

Don't look too closely, it's not in supper focus :P

This was made with one flash shooting into the dogs plastic bath bowl, about arms length in front of me, slightly to the subjects left, and a second flash at about elbow height shooting up, covered in a piece of paper as a make shift diffuser

Wait I forgot we are all about colour with our CCD sensors.

Colour Explosion

Yes I gelled the f* out of the flash on the subjects right in order to give some fun texture and shadow by the time I went to BW. Handy Handy!

Also. Look at how great this Dog Bath is.

Standard bounce off the roof
Super reflective dog bowl

I'm never bouncing light of the roof ever ever again!

Now. to go away and practice more.

OH lens was a dirty dust filled Super Tak 55 @ f.28(ish)

02-27-2015, 09:53 AM - 1 Like   #1040
Pentaxian

Darn. I tried to go back to the early days of the K10D Club and reinstate some of my photos that disappeared when I bailed out of Flickr, but it turns out that you can't edit posts that old. So I'm sorry about those blank spaces that are now there forever on the first couple of dozen pages of the thread.

I think I'll just post some of the missing shots here anyway.

02-27-2015, 10:47 AM   #1041
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
Darn. I tried to go back to the early days of the K10D Club and reinstate some of my photos that disappeared when I bailed out of Flickr, but it turns out that you can't edit posts that old. So I'm sorry about those blank spaces that are now there forever on the first couple of dozen pages of the thread.

Beautiful shots with gorgeous light Dave - #2 is a fave. Here's a snap from a recent evening at the dogpark:
02-27-2015, 01:19 PM   #1042
Pentaxian

Thanks Paul. Again you've worked your magic with a DA zoom in the cattails shot.

You know, the more of your work I see, the more I think you're engaged in a truly valuable project. Most people around the world have some fairly strange notions about Texas, derived mostly from John Wayne movies and the soap opera Dallas. I think there's genuine value in the way that your photography puts us in touch with the reality of a place that seems near-mythical to so many of us.

So keep up the good work. There's at least one Englishman here who always enjoys your contribution.

02-27-2015, 02:25 PM   #1043
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you for reposting those images, Dave. Each one of them is special in its own way. I like them all. By using the right light you bring out the best in a sometimes ordinary scene.
02-27-2015, 04:44 PM   #1044
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for posting again. That fourth photo is absolutely beautiful. The others are stunning as well. That first photo has a certain haunting feel to it that I like.

Michael

---------- Post added 02-27-15 at 06:45 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Beautiful shots with gorgeous light Dave - #2 is a fave. Here's a snap from a recent evening at the dogpark:
Paul it is shots like those that keep me getting my K10 out.

Michael
02-28-2015, 09:44 AM   #1045
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the nice words, Dave & Michael. I suppose there is a bit of mystique when it comes to people's conceptions of Texas. From watching movies and TV, you'd think the place is full of cowboys, longhorns grazing on the prairies, tumbleweeds rolling by...and you definitely can find those! My photos usually depict everyday people and scenes, hopefully captured in some good lighting. For me, for these types of shots, the lighting is *everything*, and the K10D seems well suited to the task. It's all about "the feel", as you both mentioned. I look forward to seeing your next images - and Dave, keep right on reposting those old gems!
03-03-2015, 04:23 PM   #1046
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is a re-edit of a post from a couple years ago. Taken at the lake one evening during Christmas week, using the K10D with an A35/2.8 (wonderful lens!):
03-03-2015, 05:01 PM   #1047
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Dave, I especially love the one with the water flowing! Absolutely stunning with the sunlight hitting the rocks! Sorry I haven't posted any photos, but it's not been good camera weather here, but it's warming up!
03-03-2015, 09:48 PM   #1048
Veteran Member

I've been further experimenting with a little flash bang and a black reflective umbrella.

CLICK

A single strobe set to 1/16 power (lowest it goes) standing a few inches away from a white door, strobe firing into a reflective umbrella positioned above and right of subject.

The splash on the white door behind actually aided to the edge that was created on the images right side, aka giving the definition I wasn't expecting. (planned it to go completely to black)

Every day is a school day.
03-05-2015, 02:06 AM   #1049
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tromboads Quote
Every day is a school day.

Speaking as someone who avoids flash at all costs, I'm fascinated to watch your evolving technique with your lighting experiments. Do you prepare the set-up first with modelling lights before switching to flash, or is it flash all the way? I'll admit that I'm decades out of date when it comes to studio lighting: back in the eighties, when I learned my photography, it was all photofloods and classic lighting techniques like Rembrandt and Paramount. Stone-age stuff my modern standards.

And thanks for the kind comments about my re-posted photos everyone. I think looking back at those older shots has made me realise that in some ways my results have been getting worse rather than better over the year or so since they were taken. Lately I've been focussing too much on equipment and technique, and in trying to reproduce the clichéd look of modern landscape photography, and I think my results have suffered because of it. I think it's time for me to start getting back to doing it the old-fashioned way again: looking for really good light instead of amping it up later on the computer, and getting out there in the real world and trying to capture it with honesty.
03-05-2015, 06:37 AM   #1050
Veteran Member

Speaking as someone who avoids flash at all costs, I'm fascinated to watch your evolving technique with your lighting experiments. Do you prepare the set-up first with modelling lights before switching to flash, or is it flash all the way? I'll admit that I'm decades out of date when it comes to studio lighting: back in the eighties, when I learned my photography, it was all photofloods and classic lighting techniques like Rembrandt and Paramount. Stone-age stuff my modern standards.
Remember sucking at something is the first step at getting better :P

I've avoided flash too as it was just all to confusing / dense / scary / etc etc. Turns out it's not that bad.

Strobist was / is my starting point. There is enough in there to encourage anyone along and keep them interested along the way.

No modelling lights here in my make shift studio.. aka the computer room, or aka the shed. Quick and easy hack is to work out the correct exposure, then dial out as much of the ambient as you care for, then introduce a flash on a low setting and adjust from there. It has been a lot of walking back and forward from the LCD and trying again, but it's been great. Don't be scared. treat yourself to some kind of flash with manual output settings, some kind of cheap ebay special wireless triggers, a cheap light stand, an umbrella and you are already there

Honestly, Classic lighting is still where I'm at. In experimenting I'm trying to clone the light work in paintings. once I have some literacy then I can begin to explore further.

Get yourself a few little flashes

You already have a good eye for composition and a command of the exposure. You would pick this up in no time.