Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2015, 08:09 PM   #1156
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Speaking of old lenses.. I still love how a K10 and a Super Tak gives you images that look like they were shot with a spotomatic

More colour circle jerking :P

With the change of season it's terribly hard to not be distracted by all the colour *self shame*

04-27-2015, 01:03 AM   #1157
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tromboads Quote
Speaking of old lenses.. I still love how a K10 and a Super Tak gives you images that look like they were shot with a spotomatic

You've definitely got the Spotmatic look with that one.

On digital, I actually prefer the Super Takumars to the SMC versions because they give a more analog-looking result. Here's one with the Super Takumar 55mm/2.0 from a week or so ago. It's Windy Post Cross again, simply because it's the obvious place to go around here for a short evening walk.

04-27-2015, 04:40 AM   #1158
Loyal Site Supporter

Love the look of the Taks on the K10D guys. Sadly, my only Tak is mounted on my Spotmatic at the moment. I used a Sigma 28-90 for this one, taken in mid-afternoon in the worst possible light. Our dog Tino taking a detour off the muddy horse trail:
04-28-2015, 03:11 AM   #1159

I've noticed before on this thread that the K10 and Takumars produce special results. It's almost as if it was designed with them in mind even though the K mount was well established in 2007. Perhaps someone in Japan tested protoypes with their favorite old lens.

04-28-2015, 05:23 AM   #1160
Pentaxian

Here are some quick 'n cruddy test shots from last year of my Super Takumar 20mm vs the 18-55mmWR. These are handheld, so it's not a sharpness test. I was just trying to get my head around how radically different the rendering is, and trying to understand why I prefer the Takumar look. Exposure settings are identical.

18-55mm:

20mm:

18-55mm:

20mm:
04-28-2015, 06:57 AM   #1161

To my eyes the 20mm shots are slightly cooler. A little less red and a little purer greens. Compare the grass areas, also there are hints of pink in the darker 18-55 clouds. It's very subtle though and of course my analysis is completely unscientific!
04-28-2015, 07:49 AM   #1162
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RussV Quote
To my eyes the 20mm shots are slightly cooler. A little less red and a little purer greens. Compare the grass areas, also there are hints of pink in the darker 18-55 clouds. It's very subtle though and of course my analysis is completely unscientific!

That's the way I see it too, as if there's a slight magenta cast to the shots with the 18-55mm. The 20mm seems to give a more accurate rendering of the real-world colours, particularly the greens as you say.

I think it's ultimately a purely subjective choice of which lens happens to render your own particular environment the way you like it. Back in the 80s I used to live in Arizona, and I think for desert landscapes the colour palette of the 18-55mm would probably be better. I think the rendering of the 20mm would be too cool for desert shots, but it just happens to suit the landscape here on Dartmoor very well.
04-28-2015, 09:16 AM   #1163
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RussV Quote
I've noticed before on this thread that the K10 and Takumars produce special results. It's almost as if it was designed with them in mind even though the K mount was well established in 2007. Perhaps someone in Japan tested protoypes with their favorite old lens.

I remember reading somewhere, that Pentax deliberately opted for a more "film look" for the default settings on their dslrs. This was in response to a criticism that Pentax images did not "pop" the way Canon, for exmaple, did/does. Canon, apparently went for a much higher color saturation default than Pentax. You can crank the saturation up, if that's what you like, but I, too, prefer the slightly less garish colors.

04-28-2015, 09:25 AM   #1164

I wonder, with all the digital processing that can be done after the shot is taken, whether the old "legacy" equipment really has much benefit. Except that of course a new lens of equal quality would cost ten times as much. Or more. I bought an old 135 super takumar on ebay the other day for $24 shipped.
04-28-2015, 04:41 PM   #1165
Pentaxian

I think the benefit is still there, and the flexibility we have now with raw files, well the flexibility we have now with colour control is just ridiculous.

As for comparing that 20mm Tak to the 18-55, I think that 20mm Tak just has slightly lower contrast, well, the image is left with slightly lower contrast..

But heck. to my eyes I prefer it too. But that's really because the image is nice already. The Tak didn't make it "any better" ....If I'm honest. :P
04-28-2015, 11:34 PM   #1166

There are indeed so many post processing options and I've noticed some Kodak film simulations add a colour cast. It's nice though when when RAW doesn't need much tweaking and I think the K10 does well on that.
04-29-2015, 01:13 AM   #1167
Pentaxian

Thanks to everyone for the interesting and useful input. I agree that you can pretty much make the colours from any lens look like the colours from any other lens in post processing these days. In fact, I usually apply a profile to my 18-55mm shots that gives them a more Takumar-like rendering.

My own conclusion is that I'm experiencing a sort of placebo effect when I shoot with my Takumars. I believe that they are amazing magical lenses, so I take a lot more care over focus and exposure and composition when I'm shooting with them, and that gives me better results. Conversely, I believe that the 18-55mm is an inferior lens, so that I make a lot less effort with it and end up with worse results.

Moral of the story: I'm going to try to treat the 18-55mmWR with more respect and use it for some shots where I would normally insist on a Tak. It'll be interesting to see what kind of results it produces when I give it some proper care and attention.
04-29-2015, 05:14 AM   #1168
Pentaxian

Valid points Dave We have all seen glorious images from cheap throw away equipment... not to say the K10 nor the 18-55 is throw away, but I think you have hit the nail on the head with the care one takes when using old lenses, which leads to better thought out results.
04-29-2015, 06:32 AM   #1169
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tromboads Quote
Valid points Dave We have all seen glorious images from cheap throw away equipment... not to say the K10 nor the 18-55 is throw away, but I think you have hit the nail on the head with the care one takes when using old lenses, which leads to better thought out results.
Totally agree. I can see it in my own shooting, when using a nice old manual prime vs a cheaper AF walkaround zoom for instance. With the AF lens I tend to fire off more random shots, and usually have quite a few more throwaways during editing. As has been noted many times previously on these forums, the process with MF lenses is usually slower and more deliberate, probably resulting in a higher percentage of keepers. For me, when it comes to shooting film, the process is even slower (and more fun!).
04-29-2015, 06:45 AM   #1170

I remember an interviewer asking Ansel Adams what percentage of his "shots" were keepers. "All of them" was his reply. I think he meant that the photograph was made in his minds eye before he ever clicked a shutter.