Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2015, 02:14 PM   #1171
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
sounds good to me :P

04-29-2015, 03:16 PM   #1172
Pentaxian

Ansel Adams also said that if he got 12 good shots in a year, he would consider it a good year. Does that mean he would only take 12 photographs the entire year?
04-29-2015, 03:29 PM   #1173
Pentaxian

Another shot with the aforementioned "cheap walkaround zoom" - Sigma 28-90. Actually I find the color rendering of this lens to be warmer, and more SMC-like than my Sigma 17-70 macro (which is a superior lens IMO).
04-30-2015, 01:11 AM   #1174
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have to make a confession. You know how yesterday I said I was going to start treating the 18-55mmWR with a bit more respect?

Well, I tried, believe me I did. I took it out for a walk and told it, "Come on, lens, here's your chance to prove me wrong and show me what you can really do." I tried to be gentle and kind and encouraging, and all sorts of nurturing things that don't come naturally to me. And you know what? I still hated it.

I loathed it. I hated the violent noisy buzz of the autofocus, hated the lack of an aperture ring, hated the cheap plastic feel of the thing in my hand. And I knew just from looking at the on-camera playback that I was going to hate the photos too.

So, on the way home, I stopped off at the local Oxfam shop and donated it to charity. Perhaps, by raising some money for those who really need it, that wretched lens will finally achieve some good by its existence.

I now own nothing but fully manual legacy lenses, and the feeling of liberation is wonderful.

04-30-2015, 02:14 AM   #1175
Pentaxian

:P Good on ya Dave :P

My story is similar, I tried to love some plastic auto lenses, but yeah... the feeling under the fingers ruined it for me too.

These hobbies should be fun. So we're glad you are having fun
04-30-2015, 04:55 AM   #1176
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hey K10D users! A quick question for you. Would it be possible to check your settings to confirm if there's a custom setting to allow catch-in focus (maybe called focus trap)? Or is it always active?

Just to be clear, catch-in focus allows the user to use a manual focus lens, taking a picture only when the subject comes in focus.

thanks in advance!
04-30-2015, 05:50 AM   #1177
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Would it be possible to check your settings to confirm if there's a custom setting to allow catch-in focus (maybe called focus trap)? Or is it always active?

To get catch-in-focus with a manual focus lens, just set the K10D to AF-S and it'll only shoot when it detects focus. It only works on lenses with bare metal to short the contacts on the mount. For example, it works with my native K-mount lenses but not with my M42 lenses with an adapter.
04-30-2015, 05:54 AM   #1178
Pentaxian

Thanks!

04-30-2015, 11:01 AM - 2 Likes   #1179
Site Supporter

Crazy Mountains yesterday. We had a good amount of moisture and cooler temps last weekend to put some much needed snow in the mountains, Crazy Peak is in the middle. With the DA 35mm f/2.8 Limited. Not a pano just cropped out extraneous part of the image. Last evening a humongous loud cloud had built up over the Crazies but it was very dark and the wind was blowing 40 kts or more and I decided that I'd wait for another time.

04-30-2015, 04:39 PM   #1180
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
To get catch-in-focus with a manual focus lens, just set the K10D to AF-S and it'll only shoot when it detects focus. It only works on lenses with bare metal to short the contacts on the mount. For example, it works with my native K-mount lenses but not with my M42 lenses with an adapter.

Also, placing a piece of aluminium foil over the contacts on the camera body before you screw the M42 lens on, will short it and you have "catch in focus"

---------- Post added 05-01-15 at 09:39 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
Crazy Mountains yesterday. We had a good amount of moisture and cooler temps last weekend to put some much needed snow in the mountains, Crazy Peak is in the middle. With the DA 35mm f/2.8 Limited. Not a pano just cropped out extraneous part of the image. Last evening a humongous loud cloud had built up over the Crazies but it was very dark and the wind was blowing 40 kts or more and I decided that I'd wait for another time.
I wish I had your mountains to play on.
04-30-2015, 04:44 PM   #1181
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tromboads Quote
Also, placing a piece of aluminium foil over the contacts on the camera body before you screw the M42 lens on, will short it and you have "catch in focus" .
Really? I must try that. Which contacts do you need to short out?
04-30-2015, 07:00 PM   #1182
Pentaxian

Can't exactly remember, believe it was just the bottom 2.. around 7 O'clock on the dial if that helps. You don't need much to short them all out however. And some M42 lenses will just do it by accident as the base is metal, (big ol' Pentacon 50mm's etc etc)
05-02-2015, 05:46 PM - 1 Like   #1183
Loyal Site Supporter

It was a rainy Saturday afternoon so I had to play indoors. I got out the K10D and my Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro.....

05-02-2015, 11:16 PM - 1 Like   #1184
Site Supporter

Cactus

Was walking around today with my old Tak 135 and took this cactus bloom
Attached Images

05-06-2015, 04:47 AM   #1185

QuoteOriginally posted by grnhrn Quote
Was walking around today with my old Tak 135 and took this cactus bloom

Nice image, great colours.